RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

@polybear people are telling you spurious info.. they are probably incapable of getting their head around the idea of going across a joint.. its a very old fashioned idea.. when parallel bits of metal were very fragile.. no longer the case...and proven by members of our MRS on a lot of portable installations.

Ok, so what happens when the fixed ends of switch blades are on one side of the joint and tiebar ends are on the other side of the joint?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

It's freezing here agin with steady snow which is predicted to stop within the next hour, then it should be a dry day.  I shall have to take care going to church this morning.

Last night I ended up watching a music programme, Das Adventsfest der 100.000 Lichter on one of the German TV station via satellite.  One of the singers was Nana Mouskouri - she looked very old.  It was an enjoyable mix of Advent music and more general songs and chat.  It was only 3.25 hours long.

So I didn't do any reading, by the time it finished I was ready for bed.  I slept reasonably except for feeling very worried and bothered when I woke to visit the loo about 2.30.  I've no idea what it was about but I feel fine now.  It may have been a dream about clutter, I know that when I woke I somehow knew that I really must get on with throwing things out I no longer want or need.  So that might happen later today.  I also hope to some more model stuff later on.

David

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ok, so what happens when the fixed ends of switch blades are on one side of the joint and tiebar ends are on the other side of the joint?

I know what I would do if a) that was the only place for the point and b) it was essential for the baseboard to be removable for servicing. I would add a tongue  of ply or whatever so the turnout could extend over the end of one baseboard so the track join could be located away from the edge. This would be not suitable for modular layouts but should be fine at home. Are you planning to exhibit your creation? Does portability affect your construction criteria?

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Christmas is definitely close because the reindeer are gathering. There were two yesterday across the road  and there are even more today.

Firefly20231203192344.png.4a30d140caa92435a3c0d9eeed7689f0.png

Firefly20231203192700.png.a13b23570e68a88586aad51c45664015.png

Can any deer enthusiast shed any  light on the darker deer? The speckly ones are apparently Fallow deer, but I'm not sure what the darker one is - a juvenile or something?

Deers are a feral pest here so they're not something we learn about unlike  pademelons and platypii  and wallaroos and Western Gobbleguts and Australian Bustards and Nabarleks and Woylies and The Giant Panda Snail and the Crest-tailed Mulgara  and the Common Spotted Cuscus  etc.....

1st pic looked like a goat to me, but then again I'll eat anything (within reason) 

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Can any deer enthusiast shed any  light on the darker deer?

We don’t get deer locally, though @PhilJ W has muntjac. Probably not enough trees here near the estuary. Where I worked in northeast London there were lots of deer. The British Deer website mentions 4 colour variations for fallow, one of which is black. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Morning.

It's not here.

Ian

The local RHS garden at Hyde Hall got us all keen on dry gardens a few years ago and since then it has rained every winter.  

• Friendly/supportive 18

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We don’t get deer locally, though @PhilJ W has muntjac. Probably not enough trees here near the estuary. Where I worked in northeast London there were lots of deer. The British Deer website mentions 4 colour variations for fallow, one of which is black. 

Where I lived in Buckinghamshire there was a special sub set of muntjac dear - the two inch high version due to being repeatedly run over by cars.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

36 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The local RHS garden at Hyde Hall got us all keen on dry gardens a few years ago and since then it has rained every winter.  

Same here, in 2019 we were in year 4 of drought and it was never going to rain again etc so we replanted the garden with dry loving plants from Turkey, Mexico, the US etc. The first year it looked spectacular then we got three years of floods and they all either rotted or went completely mental and outgrew their space.

Its a pity because it was cool to have an "English Cottage Garden" style look with plants that rarely needed water or went all limp when it hit 35+

IMG_20200416_065335.jpg.e2158f31f38aa68a7d5015a8f955646f.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry at the moment and the frost has mostly disappeared.   A cloudy and wet day with spells of heavy and showery rain is forecast.  5°C rising to 8°C.

Another excellent evening had with yet more food and drink, so much so that I will forego my usual cooked Sunday breakfast.   I've really enjoyed my birthday celebrations.  To cap it all I won  £30 on the lottery last night.

Nottalot planned today apart from watching some rugby.  I hope Warren's trip to Leicester goes OK,  I think his team need all the support they can get.

Time for some toast and marmalade.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

One of the singers was Nana Mouskouri - she looked very old. 

89, according to Alexa.

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Are you planning to exhibit your creation? Does portability affect your construction criteria?

(a)  Not on your Nellie - Bear's Bonce isn't geared up for such things (plus I'll be 96 when it's finished...)

(b)  Only insomuch as being able to remove/replace individual boards for construction & maintenance.  I'd also like to construct it such that, in that minute 0.01% chance that someone might actually want it (or parts of) when I've snuffed it then it's do-able without trashing it.

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Can any deer enthusiast shed any  light on the darker deer? The speckly ones are apparently Fallow deer, but I'm not sure what the darker one is - a juvenile or something?

They're Deer of colour.....

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its a pity because it was cool to have an "English Cottage Garden" style look with plants that rarely needed water or went all limp when it hit 35+

I think the planners at Hyde Hall don’t have much luck. The Australian/New Zealand garden is well established now but the year after it was first planted there was a really cold winter which left a lot of bare hillside. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Where I lived in Buckinghamshire there was a special sub set of muntjac dear - the two inch high version due to being repeatedly run over by cars.

The muntjac all seem to have gone now, they came into the area during lockdown and were quite prolific. As hinted at by @Winslow Boy above they don't have much road sense so it's possible that the A127 and A13 have taken their toll. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I didn't get to bed until about one this morning. Two callouts from bladder control, just after three and just after seven. I would normally get up after the second one but as it's Sunday I had a lie in and slept until quarter past nine. That works out as seven and a half hours plus. Its warmed up overnight, 4C this morning when I got up and 6C now. When I went to bed last night it was -2C. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Mention of wildlife, there seems to be a lot fewer foxes around than this time last year. There is one dog fox in particular that is very conspicuous because he is obviously and diligently marking out his territory, he has visited the lampost opposite my house several times. He is a very healthy looking specimen unlike a lot of last years foxes a lot of whom were suffering from mange. However, although he has visited my garden a couple of times there is no sign of any vixens moving in like they did about this time last year. Either the pruning of the shrubs in my garden or the reduced number of foxes is having an effect.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning - checks - yes.  -2c first thing and black ice everywhere, no snaa though down here at a soaring 90 feel ASL.  Plenty up on the mountain at 2000.

No deer here either, roadkill tends to be hedgepigs and polecats, and the odd chicken. No badgers or snyeks either!

A lazy day seems to be on the cards, burner's lit and backsides getting polished.  Too cold for the garage still, would just use too much fuel.

@polybear it is an unfortunate fact that when it comes to move such  layouts, it is very hard indeed to avoid a lot of damage.  Also, who are.... (for whom Lewis!) are you building it?  You, or some person unknown that buys it after you croak?  It's for YOUR entertainment. (PS can you leave me the Deltic please).

• Like 19