Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 hours ago, The Lurker said:

My Mum had a Rolf Harris Christmas Album that we listened to lots when I was little. I quite liked Six White Boomers and the one about "Forget you ever saw me dust".  There was one about a Christmas Pig and one about a Banksia.

I remember all of those songs very well. That album got played a lot while I was growing up. Bing's White Christmas was played more - but only because it was owned for longer. My dad came home from work one day uncharacteristically delighted. He had finally found a Christmas album he had wanted for years - Gene Autry's Christmas album - with "Here comes Santa Claus" and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer".

Fans of the film Christmas Vacation will recognize "Here comes Santa Claus" as the song played while the police arrive at the end of the movie. (Yes spoilers! That movie is now 34 years old!)

He was a big fan of singing cowboys when he was young. Autry's version of "Don't fence me in" is the one I remember most. Better than Ba-ba-ba-Bing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

You have a lot of luggage there!

Like I say, Mrs JJB could have planned the Normandy landings......

In Beijing Capital and I am wondering if Vladimir Putin is in town as there are 4 Rossiya jets (Il96 + 3 Tu214) plus an air force Il76 on the airfield. One of the Tu214's has a big canoe type fairing on top of the fuselage, which I'm guessing is military comms antennae. That's not some lower wrung seat warmer, to send that gear is someone senior, if not Putin I'd guess Sergei Lavrov.

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

After much anticipation:

CNN: Volcano erupts on Iceland’s Reykjanes peninsula

This will literally be yesterday's news by the time most of you greet the new day on the 19th.

The eruption began around 10:00pm "local time" in Iceland, which, if I'm not mistaken is GMT. Lots of lava fountains along a fissure - as expected.

By tomorrow I'm sure there will be better reporting and footage available.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Speaking of storms, Cyclone Jasper has dumped over 2 metres of rain over parts of Nth QLD, resulting in the largest flooding there on record.

Saw reports of crocodiles showing where you normally wouldn't find them - like this quote from Ingham where a 2.5m / 8' salty was captured near a park:

People in flood affected areas cannot be complacent and the capture of this animal is a timely reminder that crocodiles can turn up in unusual places, including places they have never been seen before,

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

I had a note Saturday from the book chain that the book I pre-ordered has had its release date changed from Dec 12 to Dec 26.

I had a note yesterday that the book is shipping from their warehouse.

The weather outside (as reported) has changed from sleet to partly cloudy in the last hour.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Nothing I wrote was calculated / intended to offend. I didn't interpret your reply as being serious.

I wasn’t at all offended. As it turns out advice on protective headwear may be very useful. We have had port visits on cruises cancelled due to rough sea conditions. Iceland could be rough land instead. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Lurker said:

The Icefields Parkway is magnificent- I have been lucky enough to do it twice, each time southwards. The first time was, like Tony, in sunshine and clear blue skies.Lake Louise had a marvellous early evening feel; it felt almost dreamlike. It was cloudy the second time but still dry, but still great views.

IMG_0843.jpeg

, that was the view for the first week of our honeymoon.  Fabulous place.  Today is more mundane, 311 miles north to Compiègne via the N10. A10, A86 and A 1.

Ttfn.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Apparently it is a morning, too dark to tell. 8c and of course, wet.

A day of contemplation here, as we await the results of Mrs NHN's imaging irradiation yesterday.  Her first experience of CT scan - 'is that it?'.  Previous MRIs of course being long and noisy.

As for me, housework I suppose, and a bit of conflab with friends after lunch.

Those Russian aircraft are likely hoovering up Chinese information as they fly about, while in turn the Chinese turn off everything they can, or turn on old stuff that is very 'dirty' electronically.  Takes me back to the Russian 'trawlers' we used to see at sea, with more pointy things than a porcupine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

You would be greener here.Beth and a friend have joi tly bought a sausage maki g machine and production started after we got  brought some Wild Boar and Venison chu ks. The sausages taste delicious.

I too have a sausage making machine (it’s an attachment for my Kenwood Chef). The attachment is both a mincer (three dies: fine, medium and coarse) a kebne make and a sausage stuffer.

It does take some getting used to and if you want to make proper British Breakfast Banger you have to source rusk or something that will do the same thing. Getting the meat mix (proportions of meat, fat, rusk) is often quite a challenge (I’ve yet to quite get there).

One critical tip I got from a pro, is that everything has to be as cold as possible: meat, machinery, mixing bowls, apparently this is due to the way meat fats behave as they warm up.

I have some venison in the deep freeze, will have to see about making some venison sausages over Christmas.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

It's still dark and it's raining.  The dampness is set to continue for at least an hour or more.  It may brighten up and become breezy this afternoon.  12°C now and will probably stay at that.

I think The Boss has one or two domestic tasks for "us" to do on this week's list of essential tasks before the festivities.  It's possible that a bit of furniture needs shifting but it's smaller stuff that me and Ernie (The 'Ernia) can deal with.

I have a parcel with wheeled thingies due and it has already arrived at the Parcelforce depot in Sutton so it should be here today.  I'm looking forward to the unboxing but there won't be a video although if it turns up after lunch when  I'm "zooming" I may have to ask the "teacher" if I can leave the room!😉 😂

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Bing's White Christmas

The sleeve for Bings Christmas album  appears amongst the wreckage of Cyclone Tracy at around the 3 minute mark in Bill and Boyds "Santa Never Made It Into Darwin".

CHristmas 1974 was one of several Christmases through the years that seemed to have a backdrop of some unfolding natural disaster  occurring  somewhere in the country , though it is usually bushfires. 

Cyclone Tracy hit Darwin in the early hours of Christmas Morning  and destroyed the entire city -  I remember a Christmas morning of presents and the usual christmas  fun that you have when you are 10, while on the radio was a continual updating description of destruction and tragedy.

"Santa Never Made It Into Darwin"  was released a couple of weeks later and got high-rotation on the radio for a few months after, - it did pop up again at CHristmas time for the next year or two but songs about natural disasters do put a bit of a dent in the celebration so it didn't become a Christmas classic.  (All proceeds it made went to Darwin support organisations, so you can't complain about it too much!) 

Fans of Brit Cars Downunder will appreciate the  Morris 1100 (or is it an 1800?) in the opening scene that has the must-have NT accessory, a  big roo-bar. 

Fans of PPE will appreciate that things were done differently by clean-up crews  up there and back  then. 

Hey, thats the second natural disaster I've posted about today.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Friendly/supportive 15

What do you call a delivery driver?

Chuck!

(I'm waiting for an Amazon delivery, their M.O. is ring the bell and run away...)

The driver turned up at 4pm and actually waited for me to answer the door!

Edited by Hroth
Update
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is raining here. We have venture out across the estuarial waters to Canvey today. Bit of an exaggeration really , it is a fairly short bridge over the creek. The clinic shares a car park with a Sainsbury but I don’t think I will be sent off to do any shopping. 
TONY

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13