Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

They used good steel back then, if it wasn't for the tree, it could possibly be cleaned up and put back on the road!

Unlike its 70s decendants...

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

They used good steel back then, if it wasn't for the tree, it could possibly be cleaned up and put back on the road!

Unlike its 70s decendants...

Theres an amazing amount of old cars dumped in the desert where they broke down.  As the price of old cars increases many are being hunted down and restored.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Steel is a wonderful material. People like to dismiss it as old and so yesterday but it's overall balance of strength, ease of working, fatigue properties and cost are still as good as it gets for many applications. Corrosion needs to be managed but that can be done.

Then theres those who go on about Australia exporting coal in a simplistic argument about how we should stop it because we are destroying the planet , ignoring or being  completely ignorant of the fact that the majority of it is high-grade metallurgical coal, without which carbon steel can't be produced unless there's some new-fangled Vegetarian steelworks  that I am unaware of. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

If the tree isn't too wide all that will be needed is to remove the wings and front panel (bolt on) and the front crossmember and slide it out.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

I thought this particular narrow boat has a vague relevance to RMWeb.   That's the LMS mainline in the background.

NarrowBoat.jpg.b6c3a32ce1024c1bfc3c995a31037b35.jpg

Rail Replacement service for the floods??? 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Rail Replacement service for the floods??? 

Faster than a bus ...... 🤣

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Faster than a bus ...... 🤣

Only if it's going in the direction YOU want to go!

Otherwise it might be quicker to walk.

At canal speed of 4mph plus locks (15 minutes a lock) it STILL may be quicker to walk!

The LMS had fingers in many pies...

https://www.lmssociety.org.uk/topics/canals.shtml

Edited by Hroth
Info on LMS canal interests
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Exactly, the opponents of the new coal mine in Whitehaven don't seem to realise that it's for metallurgical coal, thus saving importing the stuff from thousands of miles away. 

Jamie

Ah but those in charge of government purse strings have decided not to support the creation of new steel and only the use of arc furnaces to recycle steel.  Iron and steel products can be recycled forever provided the energy is there and today that would be from wind.  All very eco-friendly. The concept seems sound until you realise that every tin can that does not get put in the recycle bin, every nail that rusts away, every bit of rusting metal that drops the rust to the ground and does not get recycled means that the infinite cycle starts to run down.

the short sighted views of politicians whose competence with science and the environment stopped with a PPE degree from Oxbridge.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

And for those having troubles with black dogs...  

blackdogs.jpg.c200d3e8386e611e95930f72cae4cda3.jpg

The trouble is, you have to let them attempt to tear your throat out before a helpful chap turns up to empty his revolver into it!

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The trouble is, you have to let them attempt to tear your throat out before a helpful chap turns up to empty his revolver into it!

Oh, that Edwardian sense of 'fair play'... 😉

Well, I'm not a gentleman. Which may explain why I favour automatics, preferably those with a large magazine capacity. And I file my bullets' noses .... I'll let Jeeves explain why! 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately a revolver won't stop Black Shuck.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

My first car was a 10 year old Austin Cambridge, the old round one, not the later one with fins. PCA 602 still remember the reg number to this day, bench seat sat three in the front and at least three in the back and you could fit a few in the boot too. I can't vouch too much for the steel content as there wasn't that much of it left, a mate literally stuck his head through a hole in one of the wings. Davids P40 and lots of old cereal boxes soon tidied it up and a brush paint with some old black gloss from home and it was our gangs transport for several months until it seized and blew up, it seems you cannot choose between petrol or oil, it actually needed both, I was a hard up apprentice at the time and both and beer wasn't an option.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1