Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Any ideas what the proper name for this is? 

Leftovers. 
Seriously though, when we stayed with a friend in Connecticut she made something called a breakfast omelet that seem to be similar to your creation. It may have been some traditional family recipe for all I know. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Leftovers. 
Seriously though, when we stayed with a friend in Connecticut she made something called a breakfast omelet that seem to be similar to your creation. It may have been some traditional family recipe for all I know. 

I think the way I did it, it definitely falls into the 'leftover' category of recipes, if only in general philosophy, but given the split between the eggy filling and sausage, I felt reluctant to claim it was a new variety of omelet. There do seem to be a number of recipes out there for breakfast omelets but they tend to involve more mixing than I did. 

18 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

@The White Rabbit  Just asked The Boss for her opinion and she thought it sounded a bit like a Sausage Frittata.

It was certainly heading that way but I felt the sausage/filling was a bit too 'apartheid' to really qualify. No spuds either, just some pepper and onion pieces. Perhaps I'll need to concoct another [something] au lapin tag to describe it? 😉 

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No. It may be different in a technocratic dictatorship but in our democracy it is the politicians who are responsible for policy. 

The politicians are accountable for the policies- the civil service are responsible for seeing that the policies are implemented and as such can have great influence in how they are implemented- Yes Minister was a comedy but it worked because there were grains of truth in it. Michael Gove is well known for wanting grammar to be taught at school again. Now it is taught to the nth degree at primary schools and in such detail that kids spend so long getting the required grammatical constructs in that they forget to write a good story. Fronted adverbials anyone? I am convinced it is the  education establishment’s attempt to make the teaching of grammar so frustrating that it is quietly dropped from the curriculum and we can go back to 70’s when grammar was not taught (at least not to me)

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

lapin tag to describe it? 😉 

There is a restaurant in Quebec that has lots of rabbit based menu items. Matthew was taken there as a thank you by a couple of Americans he had helped while visiting. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

The 134 mile stretch of the London to Birmingham HS2 is now estimated to be £66bn. That nearly half a billion a mile! ...

Blimey, that makes the new 14 mile light rail line they're 70% finished with here sound like a REAL BARGAIN at ONLY $2.86 billion!!!

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 7

... The 134 mile stretch of the London to Birmingham HS2 is now estimated to be £66bn. That nearly half a billion a mile! ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/01/10/covid-no-data-or-news-hs2-ow-much/

The inland rail line, 1700km (1100 miles approx)  long ,  currently under construction from Melbourne to Brisbane has also come in for criticism about cost blow outs. Its latest revised cost is  £16.3 billion equivalent.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Flanged Wheel said:

IMG_5025.jpeg.1a80a8222e08950c95bcdcc2e870f5cc.jpeg

When we visited New Zealand in November, we happened to come across* the world’s most southerly railway tunnel, part of the former Catlins River Branch railway. It was very atmospheric and peaceful.

*My wife suggests that it was not a coincidence that the lay-by that I picked for lunch just happened to be next to the footpath to the tunnel and that my apparent surprise when I found that we were lunching next to some old railway infrastructure was entirely fake. Such an accusation is, of course, scurrilous, outrageous and completely true.

I have also walked bits of that line.. 

Baz

• Like 13

On 08/01/2024 at 13:14, monkeysarefun said:

Does it snow in Israel? That seems to be the common theme for the top few at least.

Perhaps  for  New Zealand as well, but they also get   to cater to the international Hobbit Tourism industry so they  all have to dress up,  which is always fun.

It certainly snows in Israel sometimes, though mostly in the highest areas. Jerusalem, at c. 700m, gets a dose almost every year.
https://www.now14.co.il/לקראת-השלג-בירושלים-ברכבת-הקלה-ובאגד-מ/

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 12

32 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Blimey, that makes the new 14 mile light rail line they're 70% finished with here sound like a REAL BARGAIN at ONLY $2.86 billion!!!

In France they're on £30million a kilometre for high speed lines

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Chen Melling said:

It certainly snows in Israel sometimes, though mostly in the highest areas. Jerusalem, at c. 700m, gets a dose almost every year.
https://www.now14.co.il/לקראת-השלג-בירושלים-ברכבת-הקלה-ובאגד-מ/

Are those ex Danish  multiple units. 

It's snowed here this evening it's even still white outside.  The TV is in it's new position and working. That's a plus. 

Jamie

• Like 18

... The 134 mile stretch of the London to Birmingham HS2 is now estimated to be £66bn. That nearly half a billion a mile! ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/01/10/covid-no-data-or-news-hs2-ow-much/

Compare with the Gotthard Base Tunnel: 57km from portal to portal (with a total of 152 km of all tunnels within the GBT complex), 17 years in construction (from Swiss voter approval [referendum] to regular usage), the longest railway tunnel in the world, built through the unforgiving rock of the Swiss Alps (with a maximum rock cover of 2300m) for a cost of CHF 9.7 billion (cost dating from 1998, excluding increase in VAT and construction interest; with VAT etc. an effective total cost of CHF 12.2 Billion).

So that’s about CHF 780 million per kilometre of built-under-a-sodding-mountain-range tunnel.

AlpTransit Gotthard AG was responsible for construction. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB CFF FFS).

The GBT is a core element of the Swiss government’s transport policy (part of which is to move goods traffic off the roads and onto trains).

So, not only are the Swiss mean, tight-fisted penny pinchers (I mean who spends just 12 billion on a major infrastructure project), but the devious cheese and chocolate making yodellers even have the temerity to have a cunning (and underhand) communist plan for the future of Swiss transport (instead of having a free-market melee at the trough like a proper country).

You just can’t trust Johnny Foreigner, can you?

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Compare with the Gotthard Base Tunnel: 57km from portal to portal (with a total of 152 km of all tunnels within the GBT complex), 17 years in construction (from Swiss voter approval [referendum] to regular usage), the longest railway tunnel in the world, built through the unforgiving rock of the Swiss Alps (with a maximum rock cover of 2300m) for a cost of CHF 9.7 billion (cost dating from 1998, excluding increase in VAT and construction interest; with VAT etc. an effective total cost of CHF 12.2 Billion).

So that’s about CHF 780 million per kilometre of built-under-a-sodding-mountain-range tunnel.

AlpTransit Gotthard AG was responsible for construction. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB CFF FFS).

The GBT is a core element of the Swiss government’s transport policy (part of which is to move goods traffic off the roads and onto trains).

So, not only are the Swiss mean, tight-fisted penny pinchers (I mean who spends just 12 billion on a major infrastructure project), but the devious cheese and chocolate making yodellers even have the temerity to have a cunning (and underhand) communist plan for the future of Swiss transport (instead of having a free-market melee at the trough like a proper country).

You just can’t trust Johnny Foreigner, can you?

So that's where all the extra Dosh the Post Office had went was it. We're going to need it back I'm afraid.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

So that's where all the extra Dosh the Post Office had went was it. We're going to need it back I'm afraid.

No, it went on CEO's bonuses.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

No, it went on CEO's bonuses.

Then it probably easier getting it compared to asking the Swiss for it. Remember the fuss they kicked up when one of there banks was found to be 'hiding' some money from various businesses.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I never got the impression Indonesian's were that bothered about Australia, certainly not in terms of any imperialist ambitions or dreams of conquest.

There has been a history of tensions between Australia and Indonesia stretching back to the 1960's when Britain requested Australian troops to assist in protecting Malaysia from Indonesian expansion plans in 1963-64 following Britain granting independence to Singapore, Sarawak and Nth Borneo.  The Indonesian backing of an attempted coup in Brunei sparked a conflict that lasted three years.

At the height of the conflict, British Major General George Lea had 17,000 Commonwealth troops under his command. Most of these were British, including several British army Gurkha regiments from Nepal, along with Australian, New Zealand and Malaysian troops.

Australia sent infantry, artillery, signallers and engineers, as well as squadrons of the Special Air Service Regiment (SAS). Ships of the Royal Australian Navy served in the surrounding waters, and several Royal Australian Air Force squadrons took part during the Confrontation. The Australian SAS  troops were engaged in Operation Claret, secret cross-border raids to harass and intimidate Indonesian troops.

Following that there was Indonesia's invasion of East Timor in the early 1970's, which led to mass slaughter of the Timorese populace: "In one incident, a group of fifty men, women, and children – including Australian freelance reporter Roger East – were lined up on a cliff outside of Dili and shot, their bodies falling into the sea. Many such massacres took place in Dili, where onlookers were ordered to observe and count aloud as each person was executed. In addition to FRETILIN supporters, Chinese migrants were also singled out for execution; five hundred were killed in the first day alone. The  subsequent occupation, massacres and genocide  were largely ignored by international community, the Australian government also turned a bit of a blind eye to it due to several treaties involving oil fields in the Timor Sea that we had with Indonesia at the time. One incident known as the Balibo Five, where 5 Australian journalists sheltering in a house were purposefully killed by Indonesian troops remains in the memory here.

Through the entire occupation (1975 to 1999) it is estimated that  a third of the Timorese population, between 100,000 to 200,000 died from the Indonesian troops actions or from starvation.

In 1999 following a vote for independence pro- Indonesian militias began attacking Timorese civilians. They centred the violence on Dili, but it spread throughout the country. About 1,400 civilians died, and around 500,000 people were displaced from their homes. Entire towns were destroyed. About half of the population left the territory, some by force. Australia took in many Timorese refugees, including Jose Ramas-Horta the exiled leader of the Timorese independence group the Fretilin.

Indonesian President BJ Habibie announced on 12 September 1999 that the country would withdraw from East Timor and allow peacekeepers to enter. Even as the troops withdrew, they murdered dozens of unarmed civilians. Australian troops led Operation INTERFET as peacekeepers and rebuilders, Australian  troops were also placed on the western border that Timor shared with Indonesia to prevent further incursions. 

So given the fact that Indonesia has historically displayed  a bit of an expansionist bent, and that we share the worlds longest maritime boundary with them, and that they are a smallish country with a big population and we are a biggish country with a small population, we've kept a  wary eye on them!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5