Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Showers. 3C.

In my inbox, an hour ago this morning, was an announcement in the Reykjavik Grapevine's newsletter:

"An eruption has started just north of Grindavík. Unfotunately it seems to be closer to residential areas than before but as far as we know the town was successfully evacuated at 5 am a couple of hours before the eruption began."

Update 0930https://grapevine.is/news/2024/01/14/eruption-has-begun-north-of-grindavik/?goal=0_4518dc9d9c-2b904b845f-1393187580&mc_cid=2b904b845f&mc_eid=ae92c4a5bc

Multiscreen: https://www.youtube.com/live/l-5QeLIn1FA?feature=shared

Not good news for the town nor its people.

Edited by southern42
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

kiddies don't know where the milk comes from

It comes from ASDA. Or Lidl. Or somewhere else mum parks the Chelsea Tractor, abuses others who try to take “her” double-space parking bays and then takes offspring over to the Restaurant with Golden Arches which is where dinner comes from

52 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

We used to have a programme called One Man and his dog

Perfectly good and educational but slightly niche and probably didn’t threaten the top viewing statistics.  

All sheepdog trials result in the dog being found not guilty. They always come back to the human. 

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Yay for the humidity being back to normal again today, though the forecast is for heaps of rain between now and Thursday.

I note the forecast for Melbourne is a balmy 43C while Adelaide is expecting to receive a whopping 49C. That’s excessive even for a Sarfoztraylyan summer. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, southern42 said:

' morning all from red dragon land.

Showers. 3C.

In my inbox, an hour ago this morning, was an announcement in the Reykjavik Grapevine's newsletter:

"An eruption has started just north of Grindavík. Unfotunately it seems to be closer to residential areas than before but as far as we know the town was successfully evacuated at 5 am a couple of hours before the eruption began."

Update 0930https://grapevine.is/news/2024/01/14/eruption-has-begun-north-of-grindavik/?goal=0_4518dc9d9c-2b904b845f-1393187580&mc_cid=2b904b845f&mc_eid=ae92c4a5bc

Multiscreen: https://www.youtube.com/live/l-5QeLIn1FA?feature=shared

My  home and contents insurance policy does not cover volcanic eruptions apparently.  Which is a bit moot since all our volcanes stopped working yonks ago, but do countries like Indonesia and Iceland get insurance cover for volcanes?

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I note the forecast for Melbourne is a balmy 43C while Adelaide is expecting to receive a whopping 49C. That’s excessive even for a Sarfoztraylyan summer. 

You know its a big country when at the same time this is me:

Screenshot(275).png.30baf21bae95534e6a7afbd244e8ae37.png

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The late news was just on. Quick quiz - guess who I am: 

"Its a witchhunt" " Its unfair"  "Its never happened to anyone else on a scale like this" "its election interference on a scale never seen before"  "Many legal experts say that I am the most unfairly persecuted  person in history" blah blah *#&$*%^& blah.

If he was here he'd have been outed and dismissed   as a whinging clown. I imagine that if he was in the UK you'd have sorted him out using your similarly highly-tuned bullsh1t detectors.

Why is he still on my telly every night instead of in jail?

Its going to be a long year.

Ah go on give us a clue…like he is orange? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

Actually he might have an excuse for being Orange….according to the interweb.

Carotenemia is a condition characterized by yellow-orange discoloration of the skin usually secondary to excessive ingestion of foods rich in carotene. It occurs in the absence of yellow discoloration of the sclera. Carotenemia is a benign condition; hence, further diagnostic testing is unnecessary.

But perhaps less of an excuse for being a total W Nacker. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Very late on parade, due to getting out of bed later than planned, but then it’s Sunday and we don’t have to be anywhere, so it doesn’t really matter. So, being late up, we decided to have a cooked breakfast, black pudding sausages, bacon, fried egg, tinned tomatoes and a has brown. This was then followed by toast, marmalade, glass of orange juice, a cup of tea, for me and cup of coffee for Sheila. Since then it’s been all go, I’ve wielded the shark over the living room, dining room, our bedroom and the hall, stairs and landings. Currently sat in the dining room with a well earned muggertea and a biscuit. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Actually he might have an excuse for being Orange….according to the interweb.

Carotenemia is a condition characterized by yellow-orange discoloration of the skin usually secondary to excessive ingestion of foods rich in carotene. It occurs in the absence of yellow discoloration of the sclera. Carotenemia is a benign condition; hence, further diagnostic testing is unnecessary.

But perhaps less of an excuse for being a total W Nacker. 

Oh Grizz mate  you have opened my eyes to reality -  I feel bad about dissing him now since it is suddenly obvious his weird colourisation  isnt due to wearing more makeup than Danny La Rue and Eddie Izzard combined, - while still banging on about trans people using ladies toilets and doing weight-lifting etc -  but is in fact a tragic by-product of his excessive consumption of carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, peas and apricots.

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Oh Grizz mate  you have opened my eyes to reality -  I feel bad about dissing him now since it is suddenly obvious his weird colourisation  isnt due to wearing more makeup than Danny La Rue and Eddie Izzard combined, - while still banging on about trans people using ladies toilets and doing weight-lifting etc -  but is in fact a tragic by-product of his excessive consumption of carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, peas and apricots.

Chimpy I think he actually been eating Flamingos! Yet another reason to hate him!

• Funny 15

10 minutes ago, PupCam said:

After that I might amuse myself looking at the telescope's equatorial mount and try and figure out a way of improving the elevation pivot which has more slack and wobble in it than the proverbial in a bucket.    Once again I see the solution as a separation of the bearing and clamping functions in the yoke which appears to be made of something akin to cheese wrt its mechanical properties.

At the risk of recreating the 4 Yorkshiremen's  amateur astronomy sketch  can I just say 

One day I shall get out my circa 1970 three  inch refractor and take a photo of the mount. Basically there is a large counter weight (that came in more handy for flattening out the walls of model buildings I was gluing at the time), which I think was meant to counter-balance shudder etc,  and a couple of knobs on the end of foot-long flexible shafts, one controlled the azimuth, the other the declination. Fancy rich people could afford a clockwork motor drive instead.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just making a list of items that were still in the car when it was recovered after the accident. Small items that you keep in the car but might not use very often such as torches. One item that is very useful is a gauntlet fitted with an ice scraper so I'll have to phone the yard tomorrow morning to ask them to put them aside.

• Friendly/supportive 17

9 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Today marking. I am now behind. The urgent domestics are done, so I’d better get my mind into it. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/01/14/covid-and-influenza-data-increase-decrease-and-covid-variants/

The "Cold Scene" is remarkably similar to the opening of "Winter" by Vivaldi! 

Purcell got there first as "The Four Seasons" was published in 1723, a little under 30 years after Purcell died.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

At the risk of recreating the 4 Yorkshiremen's  amateur astronomy sketch  can I just say 

One day I shall get out my circa 1970 three  inch refractor and take a photo of the mount. Basically there is a large counter weight (that came in more handy for flattening out the walls of model buildings I was gluing at the time), which I think was meant to counter-balance shudder etc,  and a couple of knobs on the end of foot-long flexible shafts, one controlled the azimuth, the other the declination. Fancy rich people could afford a clockwork motor drive instead.

Clockwork!      Eh, I'm lucky!    I've got one of those new-fangled electric motors things.       And it's not one of those cheap dc efforts, it's a right proper stepper-motor job.    Eh, I was lucky but tell that to the kids of today and they'll not believe you.

Anyway, all jokes aside, it's carp. The whole thing is very cheap, built down to a very low price albeit actually a remarkably comprehensive beginners kit.   The trouble is that very cheapness means you've really, really got to persist in order to get any real results at all.    That probably explains why there are so many "Unused" beginners telescopes on Ebay, Marketplace etc etc because the majority try using them once get nowhere, get frustrated and take up puddle jumping instead.    Maybe it's designed to sort the men from the boys (can we still say that?) and I'm fortunate that I can, to an extent, build my way out of its limitations where as some other would just have to buy their way out.     One day I'll have a bigger, better telescope.  I'll draw the line at home build before it gets to trying to make DIY 12" parabolic mirrors though 🤣

Here's the elevation bearing, spot the slop  .....

The elevation position is set by a crude, coarse thread screw acting against a stop which doesn't work with the best mechanical advantage due to its design.   It's true that once set for the evening the whole thing is  clamped up tight and shouldn't be moved again but as one clamps it up tight it moves thus undoing the careful elevation alignment with the pole star*.  Not by much but a miss is as good as a mile so to speak and you have to try and guess how much its going to move as you tighten it up and compensate for it.    It normally takes many attempts.      Get it wrong or not bother and the telescope won't track objects accurately and they will very quickly wander out of the Field of View.   Annoying for visual observations but a disaster for astrophotography with long exposures.   

Additional benefits of DIY telescope upgrades is that it gives you something to do whilst waiting for the clouds to be off and gives you the knowledge to know what to look for when you finally do lash out a 4 (or 5) figure sum when you finally do a retail upgrade.

* To be more precise "Over from the pole star a tiny smidgen" as the pole star lies very close to true north but not quite on it.   Of course, poor Chimpy doesn't even have the luxury of a convenient star on his pole to point his telescope at in the first place.

TTFNQ

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

My  home and contents insurance policy does not cover volcanic eruptions apparently.  Which is a bit moot since all our volcanes stopped working yonks ago, but do countries like Indonesia and Iceland get insurance cover for volcanes?

I googled your question with this coming up near the top of the pile.

https://island.is/en/o/nti/insurance-coverage
I did not search Indonesian insurance.

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3