The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Frosty start but the skies seem clear. A dry and breezy day with variable cloud and bright spells is forecast.  Chilly at -3°C rising to 3°C.

I had a reasonable night but The Boss didn't. Tea has now been taken up to Herself who is feeling a bit under the weather.  Might be just a chill, I hope it's nothing more.

One small mishap yesterday and another small piece of tooth broken off so a visit to the dentist has been booked for tomorrow.

Another day of doing nothing too energetic but I may go for a walk.  Other than that nothing else to report.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I used to be familiar with how one of my employers selected names for their ships. It's a lot more difficult than people might imagine. A lovely sounding name in English can sound like an expletive or reproductive organ in other languages. Consideration of political and cultural sensitivities, for example place names can be fraught with problems given real estate disputes and objections to using the 'wrong' name. 

I believe that the Nova car sold badly on the Iberian peninsular.  Something that gives an impression of "new" in English, means doesn't work in Spanish - Nova = no va = no go.

Good morning all.  Here our snow has disappeared much quicker than it arrived - still odd patches in sheltered hollows but essentially gone.  Now just cold and damp.  I think I preferred the snow.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I used to be familiar with how one of my employers selected names for their ships. It's a lot more difficult than people might imagine. A lovely sounding name in English can sound like an expletive or reproductive organ in other languages. Consideration of political and cultural sensitivities, for example place names can be fraught with problems given real estate disputes and objections to using the 'wrong' name. 

The former British truck maker Foden had to change its name to Poden in Portugese speaking countries. Check it out on Google Translate.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Wall to wall blue sky this morning but COLD. But at least the dry weather is keeping Arthur Itis at bay. I received an e-mail this morning informing me that a mobility aid I ordered before Christmas is on its way, it should make getting in and out of the bath safely a lot easier. My new house insurance details have arrived so I will be checking them shortly. A bit more than I paid the previous insurers but far less than the old company demanded. There was an Item on BBC Breakfast about the demise of Hatton's and the Warley show, I might watch it on I-player.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The former British truck maker Foden had to change its name to Poden in Portugese speaking countries. Check it out on Google Translate.

Hint - translate to Portuguese then back to English 😉

Morning all. The boiler needs re-pressurising on this nice cold sunny day. Just in time for my sister’s visit. I hope I can get it done myself. Last time we had to call a chap in and wait a few days ….. 

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Does everyone know how to read PMs on here?

This part of everyone is familiar with the technique required to read a Prime Minister. 

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Let alone, La Manche V The English Channel. 

Political correctness, “woke” and decolonisation are in play too. 

How long before someone proposes a change to the names of some rocks off our home shores through misguided intent and absence of historical knowledge?   

Isle of Wight to become the Isle of All Colours or None

Isle of Man to become Isle of Uncategorised Gender

Or simply Fraggle Rock. 

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/01/2024 at 22:22, Gwiwer said:

And the one with the daftest name after the Ford Ka.

Oh, I don't know. Quite clever, I thought. Forget any analogy to ancient Egyptian and references to souls - it's a Ford Ca'! I am not known for pronouncing 'r's at the end of words so using a typical re-spelling strategy gives a bit more credibility (other words available!) to peapull like me!

Edited by southern42
  • Like 17
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Bathroom scrubbed to within an inch of its life.  Whole joint dusted.  After Muggercoffy I shall liberate the Shark.  

Baldwin Sharknoses on a layout called the Elasmo Branch? 🤓

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another busy day here in the northwest corner of England. Like WB, we have got some snow, about 1in so far and it shows no sign of melting yet. I’ve already been out to do the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, which was deferred from yesterday and I’ll be going out again this afternoon to fill the car up and to get myself some new pants! As you can see, it’s all go here! 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Presumably, although they'll only be able to do so only if they've logged in  to see if there are any to read  ......    which sometime explains why I haven't had a reply to some of mine.

Dont you need to be logged in to get to Early Risers anyway? ( or anything on Wheeltappers)

• Like 10
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Don't order Parsley in the UK speaking French.  It's a well known brand of washing powder beginning with the same letter. 

4 hours ago, Grizz said:

Morning All

Lovely frozen morning outside…….Except that there have been some complaints. 

The Chooks have been protesting loudly, from around 07:00, that their water has gone stiff. 

IMG_3299.jpeg.30afab42b24dac0609f71134709b0db6.jpeg

The one on the left is Babs, she is the lowest in the pecking order, but despite this she is quite bright as she has worked out that she can drink the water where I have broken the ice. Whereas Solar in the middle and Bunty on the right haven’t mastered this yet. They are busy inspecting the tiny fragments of ice that pinged out of the trough when I stuck my size 12 boot through it. 

Have a great day all. 

ATB Grizz

Ours were quite happy to break thin ice that formed during the day once I'd broken any thick stuff that formed overnight. 

Jamie

• Like 18