RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, Barry O said:

@Smiffy2..hope you didn't watch the kickball last night. New manager must buy a proper goal Scorer..  it won't happen.. not a happy bunny!

With a warm weekend (37 tomorrow) organised I was hoping to spend it in  air-conditioned comfort watching the first test, but it was all over  by lunchtime Friday.  Oh for the West Indies side of my formative years -  Viv Richards,  Desmond Haynes, Big Bird, Clive Lloyd and so on - superstars all. 

In fact thinking back, that time period  was the heyday of sport - Bathurst had actual cars you could afford to buy from the local dealer the day after the race,  before they opened it up to the world and wrecked it with John Player Special BMW's, blow-in Cosworths something or others etc, it just  killed the fun.

Also,  Rugby League players still had actual jobs to do in the off-season  - usually working the bins - rather than  spending it having  scandals with social media influencers in nightclub toilets.

Sport today compared to the late 70's/ early '80's - 1 star.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Agree 4

On 19/01/2024 at 22:13, Gwiwer said:

As many of us will know Australia has a very sparse rail system.  I won't call it a network.  A single line, which requires use of at least two gauges, can be traced from Perth across to Adelaide, Melbourne and up the east coast by way of Sydney and Brisbane to Cairns.  And not much more.  An inland route from Sydney to Adelaide.  The recently-built line to Darwin and the regional lines radiating from Melbourne.  The major cities have suburban networks.  There are freight lines (some of which are of considerable length) often to remote grain loading facilities which might see a few trains in the loading season then nothing for 11 months.  There are rails to the NSW and QLD coalfields to facilitate export through (mostly) Newcastle, Mackay and Gladstone.

Theres also the still - under-construction inland freight  line  from Adelaide to Brisbane.

Its 1,700km length will cost 31 billion (£16 billion pounds equivalent). It will cater for double-stacked trains of lengths of up to 3.6km, which guarantees that  those in the districts  it passes through  will dread the DingDingDingDingDingDing  as the crossing gate closes ahead  of them. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Also,  Rugby League players still had actual jobs to do in the off-season  - usually working the bins - rather than  spending it having  scandals with social media influencers in nightclub toilets.

Yes I worked with a certain Brian Noble who was a police officer in Bradford.  I once had to book in a prisoner who had called him a scared little sh1t, in the back of a van. Not the best decision that the guy made in his life. Mind you there was one other star who was a rather well known burglar. He could outrun anyone who chased him. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes I worked with a certain Brian Noble who was a police officer in Bradford.  I once had to book in a prisoner who had called him a scared little sh1t, in the back of a van. Not the best decision that the guy made in his life. Mi d you there was one other star who was a rather well known burglar. He could outrun a yone who chased him. 

Jamie

The bloke who played  hooker for Canterbury Bankstown in the 80's - George Peponis - was a medical doctor in his other job, commentators took delight in saying  stuff like "and a quick flick pass to Dr Peponis!". 

(I never heard them mention him getting a  hospital pass* though)

(*An unexpected  pass made to you by a team mate in panic at  being imminently  tackled, that  will ensure that you are tackled instead in such a manner that you will probably have to  go to hospital)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Smiffy2 said:

We used to have deliveries by horse and van for bread and milk when I were a young 'un. I remember my old man going out with a shovel and bucket and collecting the leavings. He put it on his rhubarb.

I always preferred custard on mine.

My Great Aunt lived on a road that formed part of the route Ginger Macains horses took for exercise on the beach at Birkdale.   They would often leave deposits that she collected to mulch her rhubarb with.  It was really good rhubarb and I like to think that Red Rum made an occasional contribution to its excellence!

We always consumed the rhubarb with custard too...

• Like 17

6 hours ago, Barry O said:

@Smiffy2..hope you didn't watch the kickball last night. New manager must buy a proper goal Scorer..  it won't happen.. not a happy bunny!

Baz

I did. A horrible experience. I really don't get 'the plan' at the moment. I think we need a new new manager, possibly the old new manager...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Flavio @iL Dottore. Is he on an RMweb hiatus?

He appears to have de-camped to The Night Mail thread .

Which begs the question , who here upset him ?     😎

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

11 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

He appears to have de-camped to The Night Mail thread .

Which begs the question , who here upset him ?

Who would possibly do that?

Unless it was something to do with food.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Shopping done and stashed away, Tess Coes was busy and being a Saturday so were the taxis, I called one and it took ten minutes to arrive, I can't wait to get mobile again.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

A brief stroll around Gargrave followed by a nice lunch (fish pie) and a pint of Bllllaaaaaaaaccccck Sheep has been enjoyed. Watch8ng thr T20s from saffer land.. looks warmer there than here.

Someone was complaining about no "late buses" in Leeds.. timetable reck9ns the last one from the city centre is 23:35.. seems she hasn't tried travelling by bus in Leeds since lockdown...doh!

Time for tea!

(We have regained our night buses (1:30am from town ) so It isn't a problem where we live!)

Baz

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I think that tennis is much the same. We even have players sporting the Newk 'stache.

Still plenty of bad boys* for the fogeys to 'tut' 'tut' over. The women's game is fantastic. We need some Aussies to step up now that the 'Barty party' is over.

* The behaviour of Connors and McEnroe would now be considered quite tame - and with electronic line calling, Johnny Mac wouldn't have linesmen to complain about.

• Like 16

I got an hour-long walk in. The pavement was an alternating combination of dry and treacherously icy. Too much dry for traction devices, and too much icy not to have them. I managed to not fall over. The sun was visible for a while. It's about 3°C. Hopefully the icy patches will be gone by tomorrow. It is supposed to rain tonight. That should do it.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15