Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi had already solved the NYT puzzle before it was mentioned here, I don’t want to give too much away for any other subscribers but Handsome and Hippo do go as part of a four word group, though you might like the association of one of the other words but perhaps not the other!

I'll have to have a look at that. The electronic NYT is excellent value at £2 a month.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Your council take their time.  If a bin is missed here for any reason they come and investigate and deal with it the next day, sometimes even the same day.

Same here. One day I came home from work to find some tradie truck visiting the neighbours  had parked in front of my bin blocking its view from the garbo driver who didn't see it.

It was just before 5pm so I called the council and they said to leave it out and they'd get the "remedial" truck (I think thats what she called it!)  to it the next day. Apparently they have a garbage truck that spends each day cruising the shire for un-emptied bins.

Given that this shire is pretty large but sparsely populated (it is 2555 sqkm with 45,000 people in it, compare this to Luxemburg which is 2586sqkm and has 661,000 inhabitants),  that is quite a boutique service to fund for maybe 4 or 5 bins a day. 

• Like 19

To honour mouse man,  haggis for dinner with tatties (not neaps though- I have to draw the line somewhere) with a nice glass (or two) of single malt to help it down. I'm not usually a whisky (or whiskey) drinker but haggis needs it.  Bit of a rush though as it needed 45' to boil and I had  a Zoom meeting of the photo club at eight. Trouble is, I now have half a haggis that, because it was shop bought not homemade, I'm advised can't be fried up again so it's cold haggis for breakfast or the recycling bin for it tomorrow. It was only £2.50 (Tesco) so chucking it won't be a great loss but I do hate wasting food. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I'll have to have a look at that. The electronic NYT is excellent value at £2 a month.

I think it goes up a bit after a year (or perhaps 2, not sure). Aditi also,subscribes to one of their other supplements, something food related I think. She also reads a selection of newspapers via the Essex Library online service. This is probably why she doesn’t watch much television .

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

12 hours ago, DaveF said:

….It is because Northumberland has a relatively small population (the least dense in England) so complicated recycling schemes are far too expensive becasue of the number of refuse wagon trips needed.

At least your council seems to have some semblance of common sense.

Sheesh, don’t British Councils get it? If you want people to do “X” then you make it easy to do “X”

Our local Gemeinde (council) has rubbish collection once a week; the rubbish is mixed (food, etc) and goes into a special yellow bag that you have to buy (I am assuming that the cost of each bag contributes to the cost of collecting and sorting the rubbish); paper is bundled and collected every two weeks (free of charge), garden waste is collected once a week (also free); cardboard is bundled and collected once a month (free); there are collection points for glass (by colour), aluminium and PET plastics scattered around the village (all easily accessible); scrap metal is collected twice a year (but can also be deposited at the recycling centre) and we have a recycling centre open 6 days/week for recycling anything. Most recycling is free, although there is a small charge for certain items that require special handling (like old paint and household chemicals).

Unsurprisingly fly-tipping is pretty much unknown.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Even though @Gwiwer favourite team Collingwood ended up winning, you'd have to be an actual lemon to be bitter about it. 

There speaks a man with tongue in cheek 🤣

Collingwood are the butt of humour. And I have many more teeth and fewer mullets than their supporters do. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Good morning from the Distant (Signal) West. A golden shiny thing rose from behind the carn and seems to have made all the small people very chattery on their way to school

Dr SWMBO was up at 4am due to being unable to sleep any longer.  She has kindly left me a pile of dishes and pans in the kitchen but tonight’s meal is already prepared. 

She also just asked me something as she read through her various pages of interest on the web. 

“What does it mean to abe?”  

“Abe?”

I peered over her shoulder. Her command of the language (though not its grammar) is as good as mine so I wondered what she had found. 

“Abe. A - B - E.  Like here where it says Jennifer was abed before anyone else in the house”.  What does “abe” mean. 

“It means she was in bed first……” 🤦‍♀️

“Were you mizzled by that?”

- “Mizzled”

-“as in misled” 

Welcome to Brain-dead Day

Yes I think I am there.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A substitute bin lorry has just turned up and the bins emptied.

Hurrah!

And the sun is scintillating in the sky after last nights wild blow. 🤪

Edited by Hroth
Another reason to be cheerful!
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

these cows across the back paddock. They  seem to be watching  some kind of  presentation

Remember most presentations are just bulls hit 

• Like 1
  • Funny 16