The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

28 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

Yes I think I am there.

31 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Good morning from the Distant (Signal) West. A golden shiny thing rose from behind the carn and seems to have made all the small people very chattery on their way to school

Dr SWMBO was up at 4am due to being unable to sleep any longer.  She has kindly left me a pile of dishes and pans in the kitchen but tonight’s meal is already prepared. 

She also just asked me something as she read through her various pages of interest on the web. 

“What does it mean to abe?”  

“Abe?”

I peered over her shoulder. Her command of the language (though not its grammar) is as good as mine so I wondered what she had found. 

“Abe. A - B - E.  Like here where it says Jennifer was abed before anyone else in the house”.  What does “abe” mean. 

“It means she was in bed first……” 🤦‍♀️

“Were you mizzled by that?”

- “Mizzled”

-“as in misled” 

Welcome to Brain-dead Day

I think she might be going 'native' on yourrr. Might be worthwhile getting some lessons yourself young man.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

There speaks a man with tongue in cheek 🤣

Collingwood are the butt of humour. And I have many more teeth and fewer mullets than their supporters do. 

Come on! You know the words - 

Good old Collingwood forever,
They know how to play the game.

Side by side we stick together,
To uphold the Magpies name.

See the barrackers a shouting,
As all barrackers should.

Oh, the premiership's a cakewalk,
For the good old Collingwood.

(Warning to  "professional"  prima donna soccer players  - contains scenes of  actual physical contact!) 

image.png.f2d480e8e81500f83f658b245ff06237.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

A fine sunny morning, I am off out for some fresh air.  

After that, who knows - but there are some things I "ought" to do.

David

• Like 19

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Extreme weather antics today. At 6.30AM  it felt really sticky and awful when I went outside so I was surprised it was only 20 degrees, but then I  noticed the 97% humidity.  Around 11 or so a westerly wind hit and although the temperature was by then high 30's the dry desert wind had dropped the humidity to 17 and it felt a lot more comfortable.  Around 4 or so a Southerly change arrived, which brings cool moist air from the Pacific ocean  and it is now a comparatively chilly 24.

Traditionally when I'm stuck inside in the aircon I watch cold things on the telly, usually Scott Of The Antarctic, but I'd watched that only recently when it was 42 outside, so instead I pretended it was last winter and  in honour of Australia /Invasion/ whinging about it generally /  Day  I watched a replay of the 2023 AFL Grand Final.

What a game that was, one for the ages.   The  lead changed 10 times through the match. Name any other sport that has had ANY game change lead that many times, let alone a final..  (perhaps theres some NBA basketball play-off, or maybe a  Netball game...? one for ER sports expert @Ozexpatriate to put me right on!)

Even though @Gwiwer favourite team Collingwood ended up winning, you'd have to be an actual lemon to be bitter about it. 

Awesome  game, awesome sport - 5 stars!

I just noticed these cows across the back paddock. They  seem to be watching  some kind of  presentation or are having a meeting.

. Maybe it is a Cowmitteee meeting,  lol.

P1240108.JPG.8859e9750fed715e0b1ec8a2c3394aee.JPG

Perhaps they are being told about what the psychotic horses have been up to and will be voting on what to about it.

• Funny 17

5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Perhaps they are being told about what the psychotic horses have been up to and will be voting on what to about it.

Perhaps they're in league with the psychotic horses....

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Jeez the place has  improved since they've  been gone. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

It is important to keep stakeholders informed. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It is important to keep stakeholders informed. 

Had you called them steakholders instead,, that would have been heartless and cruel..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

At least your council seems to have some semblance of common sense.

Sheesh, don’t British Councils get it? If you want people to do “X” then you make it easy to do “X”

Our local Gemeinde (council) has rubbish collection once a week; the rubbish is mixed (food, etc) and goes into a special yellow bag that you have to buy (I am assuming that the cost of each bag contributes to the cost of collecting and sorting the rubbish); paper is bundled and collected every two weeks (free of charge), garden waste is collected once a week (also free); cardboard is bundled and collected once a month (free); there are collection points for glass (by colour), aluminium and PET plastics scattered around the village (all easily accessible); scrap metal is collected twice a year (but can also be deposited at the recycling centre) and we have a recycling centre open 6 days/week for recycling anything. Most recycling is free, although there is a small charge for certain items that require special handling (like old paint and household chemicals).

Unsurprisingly fly-tipping is pretty much unknown.

Here we have a *black bin for general rubbish (landfill) emptied fortnightly. Also emptied fortnightly is an orange box for glass bottles and containers. All other waste is collected weekly, food waste has a separate sealable container. For other recycling we have reusable sacks which are rather like **oversize shopping bags, a blue one for card and paper and a white one for plastics, tinfoil and containers such as tetrapak. 

*This was the bin that they didn't empty.

** They are approximately 2 X 2 X 2 feet each and take up an enormous amount of space which in my house is limited.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

At least your council seems to have some semblance of common sense.

Sheesh, don’t British Councils get it? If you want people to do “X” then you make it easy to do “X”

Our local Gemeinde (council) has rubbish collection once a week; the rubbish is mixed (food, etc) and goes into a special yellow bag that you have to buy (I am assuming that the cost of each bag contributes to the cost of collecting and sorting the rubbish); paper is bundled and collected every two weeks (free of charge), garden waste is collected once a week (also free); cardboard is bundled and collected once a month (free); there are collection points for glass (by colour), aluminium and PET plastics scattered around the village (all easily accessible); scrap metal is collected twice a year (but can also be deposited at the recycling centre) and we have a recycling centre open 6 days/week for recycling anything. Most recycling is free, although there is a small charge for certain items that require special handling (like old paint and household chemicals).

Unsurprisingly fly-tipping is pretty much unknown.

Not dissimilar here in France except no charge for paint and people are allowed, indeed encouraged, to take away the part full cans to redecorate for free.

The only downside is that there is just one recycle centre for  10 communes - small by population but huge by area.  So we frequently see things in the communal waste bins that could have been recycled.  As you say, make it easy.

à

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another good night, seven hours sleep with the usual four a.m. callout from bladder control. Wall to wall blue welkin this morning with only a light breeze. Problem is that means high pressure which encourages the arthritis, Nurofen has been taken. Not sure what I'm going to do today, probably very little. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Oops, I nearly forgot at one time the council collected garden waste for free in a green wheelie bin. Now they charge an annual fee but they didn't collect the wheelie bins, just left them with the residents. I wasn't bothered by this as I composted or recycled my garden waste anyway. I now use the green bin for prunings and other stuff for the shredder that likes things to be dry. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Waste here is part of the utility service and nothing to do with the government, the fee is part of our electricity and water account. I think it's a much better arrangement, they come every day, we just have general waste and recyclables though public bins have a higher degree of segregation. Being a chargeable service as part of the utility service means they're not constantly arguing over resources and jockeying for funds with every other local government service. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 17

9 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Waste here is part of the utility service and nothing to do with the government, the fee is part of our electricity and water account.

Can I ask who are you paying to supply those services - is it some body corporate that runs the building you live in?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

Who are you paying to supply those services - is it some body corporate that runs the building you live in?

We are in a landed house so it is SP (Singapore Power), in condo and HDB blocks it is part of the service charge. Actually, I am wrong to say nothing to do with government as in our area it is SP Power which is the state owned utility company. However, it is a standalone company charging for the services it provides so immune to the sort of budget wrangling we get in the UK as local government agencies fight and councils are limited by what they can levy in council tax.

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

In condo and HBD blocks the management committee will look for a contractor, in condos waste collection can be several times a day and contractors will put mini depots nearby to manage the load.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

The whole government - business model and relationship between government and society is very different here. In some ways it's better than Britain, others less so. Despite being much more about 'Singapore plc' and pulling for the national team, social protection is nothing like as good as the UK. Healthcare is world class and makes the NHS look second rate but it is private with state regulated insurance. There are polyclinics for those in need but if you rely on polyclinics it's a bit like the NHS with waiting for treatment. The place has been (in my view) accurately described as a benign authoritarian state. The down sides to that are pretty easy to spot, the upsides are that everything works, it's clean, safe and efficient and as long as you don't break the rules in some ways people face less interference in their lives than in Britain.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 17