RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Received the insurance details for the new car this morning, no shocks and still the same insurer. The main difference is the price, not unexpected as it is a bigger car with a bigger engine, a rise of approx 30%. All I'm waiting for now is the V5. As I mentioned it's loaded with every possible extra and when I booked the service the service manager said it was almost certainly a dealers demonstration car. Some of the extra's such as Bluetooth I will be unlikely to use.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

One of our neighbours just bought this, a BYD LEAP electric car. I'm not sure if BYD are sold in Britain but he gave me a ride and it's a beautiful car, it loses nothing to European premium brands in terms of cabin ambience and comfort and the neighbour assures me it drives superbly. Chinese cars are really catching up, looking at this it's a properly desirable car.

BYD.jpg

They’re certainly advertised on the telly though I can’t say I have seen one on the road yet. Mind you, there is a certain sameness to the looks of a lot of electric cars that makes Teslas, Polestars, etc indistinguishable at a glance to the untrained eye.

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I'm not sure if BYD are sold in Britain

Their buses certainly are. 

London runs many hundreds of BYD products and they are slowly “breaking out” to other cities. 

Electric buses are not yet viable in regional / rural areas. Mileage required can exceed battery capacity, charging is not yet in place and neither is the reinforcement required to the National Grid supply to support it. 

The BYD products are generally well regarded. They do what they say on the tin. And with stylish British-built bodywork they also look good and a long way from the square boxes which infested streets for so long. 

Also of note there have been a few electric or hybrid bus fires in London and elsewhere which have made local headlines. None has involved a BYD vehicle. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

BYD (Build Your Dreams) electric bus on route 65 in London.  TfL prefers that the  maker’s badge is not displayed in the usual position on the lower front panel

IMG_5706.jpeg.e3be7c2d0e76a4cc416ebab7c7fed461.jpeg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Of documents,

Birth certificate is a form with fancy red scroll work round the outer inch, hand written copper plate details …

A work colleague had been born in the Northwest Territories of Canada. His birth certificate was handwritten on vellum. Vital statistics (this was in the 1940s) were recorded by RCMP officers on regular patrols through the area a few times each year.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

As long as the system wasn't named Horizon we'll be alright ....... 🤣

I managed to speak to  @polybear this morning and even better managed to tempt him from his den to visit Puppershire.     

No, thank goodness, Fujitsu were not involved. PNLD is the system and it still works.  I started proving the logic on card index cards and found a few early last year. I arranged to visit the unit anf gave them the cards. They still use the reference numbers I thought up in 1988.  I was even able to tell them how some things called X files came about

17 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It’s a big old flight of locks, imagine a couple of hours to traverse 

I used to work on 4 lock miles per hour. But we did manage 13 in 25

Minutes once getting up to the centre of Birmingham.  4 healthy teenagers running ahead setting locks helped. 

16 hours ago, Hroth said:

If you want a long flight of locks, there's the Tardebigg flight on the Worcester and Birmingham, 30 locks dropping the canal from the Birmingham level towards the River Severn.  They take ages...

Yes the ascent of the Lickey hills from Bromsgrove, and no stopping places for a rest part way. 

Jamir

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Looks like an MaK 453, but I wouldn't bet on it. One of two engines (along with the MAN KSZ) which earned the name Hitler's revenge in P&OCL.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Some pottering around the garden done, but not much, I just felt exhausted so much modelling done.

Morning, beating up more Austin K6 lorries, with added comparison to photos of the version carrying the radars. Noticed that the radar version cab rooves did not have the roof hatches whereas many military versions did. So I've carved off the rim and filled the holes., The rooves will be sat  on the ground, with the doors as per the real things when the radar was in use.

Then Ben took me for his long walk, he wanted to do the long route, but I refused, I just didn't feel up to it...

Afternoon, On return the postie had been, surprisingly the wire has finally arrived. As did the expected buildings for the unmentionable , they're already being bodged,  very pleased on how they're going together, even though I'm not using them in their designed format.

• Like 18

4 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Good job my mind is still razor sharp...

Was walking to our local post office to return a parcel. Was down the road when I realised I'd forgotten to actually bring said parcel with me.

As I say, good job my mind is still razor sharp...

More amazing that you still have a post office

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Nope.  We had Ruston, Mirrlees, Daihatsu, Wartsila, Paxman....aaaargh....Crepelle....aaargh again..... and Blackstone generator engines, all that sort of size but it's not one I'm familiar with.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

and I’ve always wondered what Valkyrie looked like in mufti. ...

They looked quite cheerful.

In the New York Met production they don't get to enter from the wings.

https://www.facebook.com/MusiRecordWW/videos/778119043014797/

When I was at Junior School, Ride of the Valkyries was the Friday music played while we waited for the headteacher to arrive. 

Tony

• Like 15

Avast, mateys; shiver me timbers, grab yer grog and heave to*

One of the best sea shanties ever, I reckon

* many other amusing and colourful phrases of nautical patois are available for use for a mere few doubloons and are available our resident Cornish Pirate @Gwiwer

• Like 14

57 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Late up - doing what I want today. Already started, cleaning the coffee grinder. It went into decline after then ... and I’ve always wondered what Valkyrie looked like in mufti. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/02/03/covid-enquiry-whats-the-focus-devolution-matters-and-not-getting-much-done/

If you were one of the Slain, you wouldn't argue with any of that bunch about being carted off to Valhalla!

• Like 8
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Sorted most of the bits out for the car. Even started fitting the dash cam but it requires a 32M maximum SD card, the only SD cards I have in stock are 64M. The rollalong fits into the boot, just but it means removing the parcel shelf. It would require removing a small rectangular part of the parcel shelf to make it fit but I'm reluctant to cut the original parcel shelf so I'm looking for another. All that is required is a small patch about 5" by 7" removed

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

Avast, mateys; shiver me timbers, grab yer grog and heave to*

One of the best sea shanties ever, I reckon

* many other amusing and colourful phrases of nautical patois are available for use for a mere few doubloons and are available our resident Cornish Pirate @Gwiwer

If you're going to heave, do it over the loo'ard rail, ye lubber!

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

Popped out with Mrs W to Aldi for some tea, now sat on the sofa with a nice glass of Aldi XO brandy.  It warms you from the belly out!

Tea will be a beef bourguignon sourced from the chiller plus some mash and veg.  If the brandy doesn’t induce a nap.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, Fail to Attend this morning - had to run around for Mrs NHN while she was getting Pilated.

Then a drive out in the camper for a couple of hours to charge the batteries, while there's no salt on the roads.  More bad weather due later nexr week so took the opportunity.  It occasionally throws a fault code, has done since new, which always disappears before we can get it to a dealer to diagnosis, so I got an adapter for the code reader I have for the bikes so it hasn't done it for a couple of years - it finally obliged today so I now have the code and diagnosed a possible issue, likely just a dirty connector as if it was the 'real thing' - low HP fuel pressure (common rail diesel) - it wouldn't drive!  It always drives fine, no limp mode etc, just the yellow check engine light comes on.  A little preventative maintenance incoming.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Have I got something for the maritimely minded! 👍

That tune brought back a few memories...

• Like 11