Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Best wishes to Stewart for a full recovery.

Dry start with some blue sky appearing along with a hint of brightness.   Should stay dry with lots of sunny spells.  3°C rising to 10°C.

Today's walk will be via the surgery where I am required to attend for various annual blood tests etc. Can't wait.

After that nothing else planned so a visit to The Shed is a distinct possibility.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

£310 for a wallet!!!

Who the heck walks into John Lewis and spends that amount on a wallet?

Not me, definitely not me.  I could purchase a sound fitted loco for that haha

£310 for a wallet? John Lewis?

There are plenty of people around for whom £310 (or even £3100) is regarded as trifling, as we would regard a 5p coin as “trifling”. And as for shopping at John Lewis, it’s the equivalent of Aldi or Lidl (or even Poundland) for such.

I recently saw a documentary about “luxury brands” which claimed that the people who buy these expensive things that are festooned (sometimes garishly) with makers labels (and plenty of bling) are not the really wealthy, just those with a lot, but not a significant amount, of spare cash and (of course) pop stars, sheikhs, oligarchs, and the nouveau riche.

The really rich - the sort who could buy Hornby with their spare change - go for bespoke services that provide extremely high quality items made from the finest materials. I think, if I recall correctly, the example that was given in the documentary was that of what appeared to be a regular common or garden suit. Except, upon examination, the suit was shown to be made from a high quality cloth from a small woollen mill in Northern Italy that produces a limited amount of high quality cloth per year, has a multiyear waiting list and is very much in the area of “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it“  and that’s before you get to the fact that the suit is completely handmade and tailored to fit you like a glove, flatter you and wear well. The tailoring is by craftsmen who maintain a very small, very select, client list and who are paid handsomely for their efforts.

Of course, the big name “luxury brands“ want to get a slice of that particular pie and do so by providing very discreet services with products not available in any of their “regular“ luxury lines; products which have, if they do have, only a very discreet logo which is usually hidden away.

To maintain this most exclusive of exclusivity, access to such services is usually by invitation only (so you need to know the right people and have the right amount of funds); a bit like the Rolls-Royce stand at the Geneva Motor Show (or at least it was when I last went to the Geneva Motor Show)– access to the stand was by invitation only! After all, you don’t want the hoi polloi pawing at, and sitting on, the expensive Corinthian leather car seats, do you?

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 15

13 hours ago, Hroth said:

Both my android tablets are showing signs of artificial stupidity too.  I think they're trying to wear us down...

I’d take artificial stupidity over “natural” stupidity any time.

You can fix artificial stupidity….

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3

16 hours ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All,

I've been AWOL due to a long period in hospital with a succession of successive illnesses starting with a chest infection, and worsening through an empyrema, to a brain infection resulting in a stroke - I was in for 10 weeks in total, and was apparently quite near to not pulling through - and thank God I did - and only got out on Thursday - less said the better, I think as I was the subject of some less than adequate treatment and am still considering my options - but a solicitor is far from out of the question.

Wow!  That’s an impressive list of health mishaps - kudos to you for not giving in and giving up. I hope that you will continue to recover and get fighting fit again.

My mother had a stroke and, like you, a will of iron - never giving up! Two years post-stroke a layman could not tell that she had had a stroke (and even I had to look hard to find the subtle tells). I hope you’ll go the same way.

Anyway, welcome back to ERs (or as it is known more formally: The Forum For The Criminally Insane 😁🤣😳), we’re here to provide both a (virtual) helping hand and sympathetic shoulder!

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a breezy chilly 6c rock, where the sun shineth.

My N gauge friend (he's very small) here - a US modeller - is the secretary of the Rolls-Royce Motor club here.  He's terribly posh, having being the manager of a private bank, the sort that deals with the folk iD is talking about, and err, EIIR, that's a clue, but he puts up with us with good grace.  I even got a go in his R-R!  Some of his pals are in that social group, and by simple observation it is obvious they don't buy clothes from M&S.  There are some very, very, rich people on this rock.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

At my first secondary school I was assessed for something, the assessor claimed to be inspecting feet but was questioning on completely different things, particularly to do with school / lesson / my interests/ etc I realized what was going on,

Was it an assessment for ballet school?

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold

A fine bright morning, 2°C, it might reach 7° later.  My share of the housework - the dusting - is done.  The washing is on so now I can relax.

Joanne will come at coffee time to do the rest of the house jobs, then it will be quiet for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure what I will do for the rest of today.

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny here. I may go out and tidy the garage, or at least the end near the door. Stuff has been dumped there all winter and just needs putting away properly. 
I used to buy clothes from M&S but rarely now. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Brtight and sunny - at least that's what woke me up. And the and appears to have dropped.

However my enjoyment of it will be visual as I'm completing admin stuff ... and, unusually for me, getting stuff ready for teaching later in the term. Fortunately it's all written and only needs updating for dates and some sample data as I use current up to date data when I can.

in teaching I really don't see the point of using numerically massaged examples and then expect students to tackle real world problems - subtleties are easier to recognise when presented early. I dod have one colleague some time ago who used examples of 0% return on savings, which gave students a really false picture, although mathematically correct it just didn't reflect the real world and them at all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot to do today so I'm taking my time, hence my lateness. The knee support is still working despite Arthur Itis taking on other joints such as the hip. Apart from some stiffness  there was nothing else to trouble me from the knee.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

35 minutes ago, southern42 said:

I am always wary because (c.1960s) mum's friend died of food poisoning from leftover food. Whether homemade or bought I do not like to push consumption times. I do consider storage and eat by times and type of product, so if the use by is short, I discard if it is over. If it is quite long, as with biscuits or tea, then a day or more over may be considered although from experience even biscuits and tea can taste stale or different even before their use by dates.

You can be careful as anything though and the food can still take you out. 

Here about 5 years ago 7 people died after eating Rockmelon (cantaloupe?).

The rockmelons were sold as pre-sliced halves and it turned out that despite the particular farm that they were traced back to were following and exceeding safety and cleaning  guidelines, Listeria spores were borne on dust storms in the growing areas and covered the fruit skins , followed by heavy rains that turned the dust to mud, making it difficult to completely clean the skins. When the rockmelons were sliced prior to sale by the supermarkets, the Listeria was transferred to the knife blade and was deposited on the insides of the sliced  melon.  It definitely put a big dent in rockmelon sales for the next couple of years.

Nature:   if its out to get you it will, and theres NOTHING you can do about it.     2 stars. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3