The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I must admit that I tend to be a connisseur of snot and phlegm, thanks to a very poorly childhood, the effects of which have dogged my heels through my life.

Touch wood, so far I've been lucky this winter.  Its been my fangs giving gyp instead!

• Friendly/supportive 18

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

@monkeysarefun You haven't told us about this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/equestrian/68330519

Perhaps its something best forgotten about, even for aussies...

A good thing it wasn't illustrated*, such attire at a rising trot doesn't bear** thinking about!

* At least the BBC didn't, but The Sun did...  https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/26017893/banned-show-jumping-mankini-horse-shane-rose/

** bare? And let alone over a jump!

Edited by Hroth
My curiosity got the better of me. Now for the Brain Bleach...
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Very late on parade today, but I’ve been very busy. Lots of boxes that I’d moved into the cellar, whilst I rearranged the underfloor wood store have now been put back and the cellar is now looking a lot clearer. Tonight we are meeting up with all the kids and grandkids for a birthday curry at our local favourite Indian restaurant, which is something we’re looking forward to.

Best wishes to Dave @DaveF and Baz @Barry O.

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Once the rain had passed we had bright sunshine except for a heavy shower mid afternoon. Still haven't had the eyelid inspection yet so thats next and then I'll watch 'Death in Paradise'.

• Like 17

8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

@monkeysarefun You haven't told us about this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/equestrian/68330519

It wasn't the mankini that stood out for me when checking the link - they seem to be a go-to costume for bucks parties and the Melbourne Cup crowd.

No, when I read that the place was called Wallaby Hill I thought for sure that it was fake news because thats the kind of name English  TV shows etc always use when referring to some town in Australia that one of their characters is moving to or whatever _Dingoes Crack, Koala Bottom etc! 

I'd never heard of  anywhere near Sydney called Wallaby Hill  but turns out its an Equestrian Centre 150km away  down near Roberton, so case solved.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

That was followed by a virtual trip to Switzerland for a ride in the driver's cab from Chur to Zürich on YouTube.

This is a nice trip if you haven't already seen it . Did both directions back in 1983 .

I  cant seem to reset the start of the video so you will need to drag back to the start .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
To reset video .
  • Like 14

11 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Available on Amazon UK sold by Wood Workers Workshop

It seems that Flavio's ( @iL Dottore )'s real online shopping nemesis is not Amazon but Swiss protectionism. 

Perhaps the Swiss trading and commerce authorities believe he should find his local Canton's 'Geppetto' to provide woodworking services rather than purchase suitable equipment to do the job himself. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The only subject choice at the end of third year secondary (now would be year 9) was art or woodwork. The woodwork teacher didn’t want me. The art teacher didn’t want me either. I suppose I could have just sat in the stairs but there was a space in woodwork so I had to go there.  There was quite a tradition of woodworking in the family. Not an inherited skill in my case. 

Sometimes it skips a generation mainly due to genes I believe. Hence my absolute abysmal ability at writing when my mother could have been an author. But to even things up I'm quite good at woodwork.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Sometimes it skips a generation mainly due to genes I believe. Hence my absolute abysmal ability at writing when my mother could have been an author. But to even things up I'm quite good at woodwork.

Why not build a shed then?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My brother was good at woodwork, I still have a couple of items made by him that I will pass on to my niece. My woodworking skills are none-existent however. My maternal grandfather was a cabinet maker as was his father and grandfather before him. My great grandfather had a business employing twelve men making bespoke furniture for the west end department stores. I'm not sure but a lot of such businesses were based in the arches under Broad Street Station and that could be where he carried out his business.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

We had a great time this evening, much merriment and great food. It’s always nice when the whole family can get together. We’ve booked for another meal in April, so that’s something we are looking forward to. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6