Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

In the 60's and 70's "fibro" ( a white sheeting used to clad exteriors of homes, interiors of garages and under eaves etc) was the plaything of choice. Builders left it lying about construction sites and you could use  a small offcut as you would chalk,  to draw pictures and handball courts on roads and pavements, and you could make cubbies etc out of the larger offcuts, or break those up  into handy Frisbee sized bits to have frisbee wars with all your mates.  (Nothing hurts like a fibro frisbee to the forehead!)

Turns out that  fibro was actually made of asbestos...

Between fibro toys and  psycho  horses, , its a wonder the Australian  Life Expectancy stats aren't in the low 40's. 

In the news now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68302052

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Its going to be a huge cleanup job and there will be many questions to answer, I wouldn't like to be the owners of the mulch company.    Kudos though this time to the state government who once the initial contaminated site was discovered pro-actively audited all other sites across the state that have had mulch delivered recently and tested them too, then earmarked them for remediation.

It would have been far easier and cheaper for them  to ignore, cover up, deny, pass the buck  or lie about it as governments tend to do.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Slept well last night, only a couple of interventions by bladder control

Likewise. 

There’s always been adequate warning - thus far - of the need to make the nocturnal dash. But why oh why does Captain Slackbladder* have his way less than an hour before the alarm is due?  

Does one attempt to sleep the last little bit, shrug it off and get up early or turn the alarm off and sleep in? 

* © Blackadder Goes Forth 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

37 minutes ago, polybear said:

How on earth the WW2 Factories ever managed to turn out any Aircraft, Ships, Munitions etc. without such essentials is a complete mystery to This Bear.

They managed it. But a lot of people were injured unnecessarily. Perhaps that's acceptable, or even necessary, in a time of a war.

Diversity/inclusion? Plenty of wartime propaganda to encourage men to accept women in factories. and for women to accept they could do men's work.  Plenty of talk about the family of the Empire, people of all races and classes, fighting together and pulling together against Hitler and Tojo.

(it's not a good idea to racially abuse a British West Indian who'd volunteered to defend the Mother Country if you want him to lay down his life for Britain -- mind you there was plenty of racist propaganda to make sure everyone hated the Japanese)

Plenty of training films shown to US soldiers, for example, about what Britain would like when they got there ... how culture was different and how to avoid misunderstandings (eg "fags"). 

Information security and governance? Loose lips sink ships. And volunteers who don't understand why you shouldn't share passwords may well let hackers in to cause all sorts of trouble.

As for mandatory courses? Well, a great way for management to protect itself against volunteers who screw up. If they've been sent on a course, and they still act the wrong way and get the organisation into trouble, then the managers have covered their arses.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

56 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear apparently have to undertake no less than eight mandatory** courses as a part of being a volunteer; they include such joys as:  Safeguarding Awareness, Equality & Diversity and Information Governance.....

How on earth the WW2 Factories ever managed to turn out any Aircraft, Ships, Munitions etc. without such essentials is a complete mystery to This Bear.

**Not to be confused with statutory courses - which are legal requirements.

21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Every time I go to a flying base (eg RAAF Williamstown, RAAF Darwin etc) that has aircraft operations I have to sit through a safety briefing which goes for about 15 minutes but is basically "Planes are dangerous, so stay away from  the runway". I've been going to these bases periodically for 20 years or so to install IT infrastructure  and have yet to even see a runway.

Ah yes, but without all this what would m’learnėd friends have to do?

Finding incredibly unlikely situations (e.g being landed on by a Huey Gunship whilst taking a selfie standing in the middle of the 09R/27L runway at Heathrow at 03:00 on Sunday) that have to be warned about, seems to be a profitable activity.

But not as profitable as the whole “professionally offended” circus.

It’s quite simple really:

1. Find something that can cause “offence” (e.g. tinned baked beans)
  2. Get soshul meeja all riled up
  3. Sue somebody over the fact that someone was offended by being offered tinned baked beans
  4. Help draft bizarre laws that prohibit the sale, use or mention of baked beans.
  5. Help draft puerile, pointless and condescending “awareness” training about baked beanism in the workplace 
  6. Sue some poor b*****r who doesn’t implement the now “mandatory” baked bean awareness training.
  7. Rinse and repeat.

Of course each steps involves hefty “fees for service”

Cynical? Moi.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 7

12 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

mind you there was plenty of racist propaganda to make sure everyone hated the Japanese

Truth be told, they were pretty bloody awful. Many here hated the Japanese up until the 1970's, and it was nothing to do with racism.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Ah yes, but without all this what would m’learnėd friends have to do?

Finding incredibly unlikely situations (e.g being landed on by a Huey Gunship whilst taking a selfie standing in the middle of the 09R/27L runway at Heathrow at 03:00 on Sunday) that have to be warned about, seems to be a profitable activity.

But not as profitable as the whole “professionally offended” circus.

It’s quite simple really:

1. Find something that can cause “offence” (e.g. tinned baked beans)
  2. Get soshul meeja all riled up
  3. Sue somebody over the fact that someone was offended by being offered tinned baked beans
  4. Help draft bizarre laws that prohibit the sale, use or mention of baked beans.
  5. Help draft puerile, pointless and condescending “awareness” training about baked beanism in the workplace 
  6. Sue some poor b*****r who doesn’t implement the now “mandatory” baked bean awareness training.
  7. Rinse and repeat.

Of course each steps involves hefty “fees for service”

Cynical? Moi.

As Flanders and Swann sang

"Oh it all makes work for the working man to do"...

• Like 11

Ok so no one was actually murdering Mrs Grizz but I didn’t know that when her scream from downstairs raised me up off of the bed and down the wooden hill in around 5 seconds. I feel sick and my heart is racing.

And do you know what the cause of this actually was….

One of these little gits drop on her from the top of a kitchen cupboard door. 

IMG_3420.jpeg.0ea1ef2e7417aa49fc4d985946ce7e4e.jpeg

Mrs Grizz is a hardy field ornament girl. Not known for her hysterical behaviour, far from it. However she apparently draws the line at False Widow Spiders landing on her head, as she put it “Uninvited”…..

Sadly this was the spiders last mistake, as I was ordered to capture it (under a pint glass) and feed it to the chooks. 

I won’t go into details of its final moments..but think Jurassic Park T Rexes fighting over a human. 

Edited by Grizz
Spelling auto coroet
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

15 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

The day started pretty well with the paddlin', but after that it turned into a flaky kinda day containing pointless dross really :(  I would've liked to have gone for a wander this arvo, but threats of significant sky wee wee put paid to that idea.

No idea what tomorrow will bring - but I must get a lot better at MIUABGA.

BG

You need to learn to accept the sky wee - it's just holy water before it's been turned to wine.  I used to be like that, not going out because of a threat of rain but more recently have I have realised that an umbrella is kind of quite good and as a result I do a lot more walking between places now rather than using four wheels.  Even went up into the Pennines recently with some wet weather gear and rather wanted it to wee a little bit so I could experience it.

Obvs I don't want to be out when it's absolutely p1ssing down and windy.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 9

6 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Oooooooo I forgot the professionally offended. Woah that was an entire two week training course in its own right. 

However L.P.T.P. called them offended victims. And it came with a hand book.

Which informed you how you could be offended on behalf of someone else, even if you weren’t offended yourself, and how the person you were offended on behalf of didn’t need to be present.
 And further how if you failed to report an incident of offence, or potential offence and it later emerged that you knew about it and failed to report and escalate it….then you could be disciplined for gross misconduct and potentially be dismissed. 

Monitoring of people’s speech, language, use and fail to use pronouns, tone of voice and tone of electronic communication all constantly monitored. Leading to a potential tidal wave of malicious and vexatious grievances whenever subordinates were asked to carry out utterly unreasonable and unacceptable requests….erm like their actual job. 

See, now YOU'RE messing with my head, like that @Smiffy2 guy!   I dont know whether you made this up and so are being very clever and really funny, in which case I'd  give this a "funny", or  is it actually true, in which case you'd get a "friendly/supportive"

I'm going to have to hold back and wait for the others!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Every time I go to a flying base (eg RAAF Williamstown, RAAF Darwin etc) that has aircraft operations I have to sit through a safety briefing which goes for about 15 minutes but is basically "Planes are dangerous, so stay away from  the runway". I've been going to these bases periodically for 20 years or so to install IT infrastructure  and have yet to even see a runway.

They're airbases. They will have thousands of visits from people like you a year. Rather than spend ages trying to work out who's going to go near a runway, and who isn't, it's much simpler and sensible to treat everyone as if they are at some point.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 minute ago, BachelorBoy said:

They're airbases. They will have thousands of visits from people like you a year. Rather than spend ages trying to work out who's going to go near a runway, and who isn't, it's much simpler and sensible to treat everyone as if they are at some point.  

Or they could just have a list with my name ticked off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Grizz said:

And further how if you failed to report an incident of offence, or potential offence and it later emerged that you knew about it and failed to report and escalate it….then you could be disciplined for gross misconduct and potentially be dismissed. 

Which of course means that you've now grassed someone up - and depending on who that "someone" is you're either marked accordingly and "sent to Coventry" or alternatively your Career Prospects just reduced to Nil.

Cynical?  Moi?

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

The content and aims of most of these briefing and training sessions do seem like commonsense much of the time.

But, as has been noted on the internet before, a lot of people do seem to lack common sense.

There's no easy test for who's got commonsense or not, and whether they have the right sort of commonsense for this day and age, and so it's better to treat everyone as if they don't have commonsense. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 5