The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I can see why so many people went to Australia from South Essex in the past.  Apart from the Harbour bridge and the warship it looks just like the Thames Estuary…

49 minutes ago, polybear said:

They got caught.

Actually for the majority of those deported the Thames Estuary was their last ever sight of blighty as there were many prison hulks moored in the estuary waiting for the next ship to Australia.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

And to further add to your side of the ledger, the Thames Estuary has   a very admirable lack of Bullsharks  ( the worlds most crap sharks!)

There are sharks in the Thames Estuary and a few were swimming around in the SeaLife Centre when we last visited. I think Tope  are the biggest but the one on display at the aquarium wasn’t 2metres long. I just looked up what else had arrived and it seems there are venomous sharks in the Thames Estuary now called Spurdogs.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I've checked my rather depleted larder/fridge and decided that the shopping can wait another day. The main reason is that it is cold and windy out there. Tonights dinner will be egg and chips followed by a yoghurt for dessert.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

There are sharks in the Thames Estuary and a few were swimming around in the SeaLife Centre when we last visited. I think Tope  are the biggest but the one on display at the aquarium wasn’t 2metres long. I just looked up what else had arrived and it seems there are venomous sharks in the Thames Estuary now called Spurdogs.

So @polybear will not be going paddling down Sarfend any time soon.😬

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

On exiting this establishment with Ben I spotted the roof of our post box, that gave me an idea.. 

Ben chose the long walk which in this wind turned out to be a good idea, with it being a somewhat chilly north easterly, when going into the wind we were mostly sheltered from it, the more exposed areas it was behind us.

Much muddling done, including the idea, which was for roofing the mill, I've now built the basic structure, the covering is the idea.. Flashing tape!!

I'm off for a long soak in the bath, need to ease some joints.

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

There have also been porpoises - or dolphins; the local rags can't make up their mind - at Gravesend in the last few days. Maybe the convicts on the hulks off the North Kent marshes would have seen them....shades of David Copperfield

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Have you seen the price of a can of Spam recently!

No, but I was thinking of making some corned beef hash some time ago, and the price of a can of corned beef put me off the idea!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

No, but I was thinking of making some corned beef hash some time ago, and the price of a can of corned beef put me off the idea!

you could always make your own:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/home_cured_corned_beef/

I am sure Triple D visited somewhere that made their own. Guy Fieri was well on his way to Flavourtown IIRC

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Wow, even WE dont have those!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spurdog

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

In fish and chip shops in the UK you can order huss or rock salmon, which is actually another species of shark, the dogfish. The two species are often confused and you could be eating spurdog instead of dogfish. I must confess that I prefer rock salmon to cod as it doesn't have all those little bones.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Not spam, egg, chips and spam?

🤪

They were right out - they only had spam, spam, spam, spam, egg, chips and spam.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

I offer this screenshot of an interesting news feed (available only to registered professionals) about some medical matters in France - which may be of interest to our correspondents in La Belle France. I shall refrain from comment, observation or witticisms........

image.png.ddf403f5c75dcb9224e837f4e09ffc01.png

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I offer this screenshot of an interesting news feed (available only to registered professionals) about some medical matters in France - which may be of interest to our correspondents in La Belle France. I shall refrain from comment, observation or witticisms........

image.png.ddf403f5c75dcb9224e837f4e09ffc01.png

As all but one of the female inhabitants of the village are beyond their reproductive age I'll not add to that statistic. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14