The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

On 27/02/2024 at 14:14, Ozexpatriate said:

On 27/02/2024 at 14:14, Ozexpatriate said:

I've been a prisoner at Port Macquarie, Norfolk Island and Emu Plains,
At Castle Hill and cursed Toongabbie, at all those settlements I've worked in chains;
But of all those places of condemnation, in each penal station of New South Wales,
To Moreton Bay I've found no equal: excessive tyranny there each day prevails.

I see that Trip Advisor reviews  rhymed a lot more in 1795!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

BH....

I've just conducted a highly scientific, technical investigation & examination of the Braun Cutter Head.  Conclusion?  It's bvggered; the centre bit is all stikkyuppy when it shouldn't be.

I've also just discovered I bought it in Sep 2022, not Sep 2023.  Second Conclusion?  Braun will larf at any snottogram and tell me to go foxtrot.  Poo.

Bearing in mind the on/off button is also held in with sellotape it looks like Bear is gonna have to splash a large lump of a Deltic on a new Shaver.  Double Poo.

So Which? Magazine tests are currently being consulted......

BG.

• Friendly/supportive 19

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Oh yes, yes I do. 

They don’t sing for a start. Much less look like they have eaten someone else. 

Probs closer to this. 

IMG_3435.jpeg.f1ced8da74abc773c9978f4fc8e227e1.jpeg

If not, then I ain’t going. 

Deary, deary me....

I think the graphic artist got a bit over-excited too!

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

18 minutes ago, polybear said:

BH....

I've just conducted a highly scientific, technical investigation & examination of the Braun Cutter Head.  Conclusion?  It's bvggered; the centre bit is all stikkyuppy when it shouldn't be.

I've also just discovered I bought it in Sep 2022, not Sep 2023.  Second Conclusion?  Braun will larf at any snottogram and tell me to go foxtrot.  Poo.

Bearing in mind the on/off button is also held in with sellotape it looks like Bear is gonna have to splash a large lump of a Deltic on a new Shaver.  Double Poo.

So Which? Magazine tests are currently being consulted......

BG.

Braun shavers have rocketed in price over the past couple of years. Time was when you could actually get the cheapest series 3 at Argos for the same price as a replacement head, but not any more.

The thing is not to look for the cheapest replacement heads, even from Amazon.  I bought a replacement unit, not the cheapest or most expensive, yet it was an absolute horror, it pulled and snagged. As you said, the old head was actually better!  I think there are a lot of "recycled" heads about, sold as new.

At present I'm sticking with my Braun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here....

This dyin' lark is bluddyexpensive - and I'm not even dead yet.....

Wait until you start paying for your funeral. I've opted for the cheapest possible, just a straight cremation, no funeral service just straight into the oven. Mind you the money saved will be splashed, if thats the word on a *woodland plot where I will be scattered. The cremation will cost less than two grand but the woodland plot will cost just short of £600.

*The cemetery it is estimated will not be full for at least another fifty years and then handed over to the Woodland Trust as a 'Green Space'.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Wait until you start paying for your funeral. I've opted for the cheapest possible, just a straight cremation, no funeral service just straight into the oven. Mind you the money saved will be splashed, if thats the word on a *woodland plot where I will be scattered. The cremation will cost less than two grand but the woodland plot will cost just short of £600.

*The cemetery it is estimated will not be full for at least another fifty years and then handed over to the Woodland Trust as a 'Green Space'.

And the trees will grow really well thanks to all the bonemeal, nitrogen and phosphates!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Deary, deary me....

I think the graphic artist got a bit over-excited too!

It was in their brochure….I thought limitless ale, drunk axe throwing, and pleasantly configured ale dispensing personnel….I was like….what is not to like??? 

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

1 minute ago, Grizz said:

It was in their brochure….I thought limitless ale, drunk axe throwing, and pleasantly configured ale dispensing personnel….I was like….what is not to like??? 

Ahhhhhh...  The advertising....

Never to be trusted!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Wait until you start paying for your funeral.

I did that a few years back; being a solo Bear 😢 I wanted to make it as simple as possible for my Executors.....

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

39 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

I’m not sure if this is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but watching the effort my wife has been putting into getting her Computing degree, it requires as much work nowadays as when I got mine 30 years ago.

It was no picnic for Mrs W doing a medical degree over a decade ago.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Who decided that the best way to fit headlamp clusters is to require you to remove them from the car to be able to fit a bulb?

I am sure they are not quite like they were before, but having one light out rather made it difficult to know what they were like before.

Anyway, I stood in front of the car and from the angle of an oncoming car and I didn’t get blinded even on full beam so maybe it’s fine.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

On 28/02/2024 at 00:25, Winslow Boy said:

I have found Bosch products very expensive for what they are. Unfortunately there are not that many Battery operated mowers on the market so I would suggest you 'grin and bear it' I'm afraid Neil. Unless you wish to go and get a goat.

By chance I was in the local mower shop getting a spark plug yesterday morning and the bloke was talking electric mowers to a customer. His advice -  get a Honda.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

On 28/02/2024 at 03:45, DaveF said:

It also seemed a little unlikely that a pilot crashed his plane and died because someone who didn't like him had put a spider in his clothes which emerged as he flew and it frightened him.

Here when it happens it  cracks everyone up, especially when it occurs at touchdown.

Huntsman spiders - natures practical jokers.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

57 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Today I got told that I look younger after having the ears lowered. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/02/28/covid-enquiry-in-wales-day-2-and-not-really-counting/

Another nice choice of music, I do love the warm sound of a Great Consort* of Recorders, with 4' and 8' voices.

54 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I've had a beard since 1977 - must have saved a fortune.

I used to have a beard and trimmed it off a decade ago.  When we had the first Lockdown, I decided to regrow it and was so appalled by its streaky grey appearance that I took it off again.  I think the main reason for the shock was that the greying was all of a sudden rather than creeping slowly up on me...

The other advantage about beards is that you save so much time in the morning not having to shave, it just gets a wash in the shower along with the rest of you!

* Great as in the range of sizes from Treble/Soprano through to Great Bass.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

36 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here when it happens it   just cracks everyone up, especially when it occurs at touchdown.

Huntsman spiders - natures practical jokers.

I like the last voice

"Its under there, somewhere..."

You can imagine the spider saying "Are we there yet?"

Edited by Hroth
Spidey thought....
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

Evenin’ All,

Tomorrow I have a little activity to do which pretty much ties in with the topics of recent days.

I have to give a series of mock job interviews.

I have been “advised” to “be gentle with them”

Whatever for?

When I did them for real, those who I did recommend to be hired were hired. And afterwards when they were on board, invariably, without fail, they said that I was the toughest interviewer that they had.

I used to ask extremely nasty questions like “what’s your rationale for saying that?” “please elaborate further” and the ever popular “why did you apply to us and not the competition?” Not forgetting the clichéd but very useful “where do you see yourself in 5 years?” (A useful question indeed as it allows you to find out how well they have prepared themselves, how much they’ve learnt about the company during their prep work and whether or not they have realistic expectations).

And to make things even more painful for the candidates, I would practice extremely aggressive listening* Done well, aggressive listening gets people to tell you things that even they didn’t know they knew,

I think some of tomorrows candidates are “millennials”

There may be (metaphorically) much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Should be fun.

* a wonderful concept dreamt up by Terry Pratchett!

Edited by iL Dottore
Format
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

Tomorrow I have a little activity to do which pretty much ties in with the topics of recent days.

I have to give a series of mock job interviews.

I have been “advised” to “be gentle with them”

I used to love giving mock interviews.

As you say, being "nice" isn't helpful for the candidate when they actually have to face an interview panel in cold blood and stand out against the other hopefuls.  Making it realistic shows them what to look for to prepare for the ordeal.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still haven't fitted the rear camera for the dashcam. Reason is finding a suitable route for the cable connecting the two cameras that is where it won't get snagged.

• Friendly/supportive 15