RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

33 minutes ago, Hroth said:

@monkeysarefun But those books are essential training manuals for the 21st Century.  Just be glad you learned about the Surveillance State and the misuse of power so early in your life!

I much preferred Dystopia  Downunder, the cars were heaps tougher! All in all it looked more fun until the petrol ran out.

image.png.096ec49d05ac8f1e9948818de5fe8920.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

4 hours sleep long awake, 10 minutes sleep, 2 hours sleep. Not enough.

Ben the fair to middlin Collie, had a good wander around to the sound of some heavy digger type noises to the north close but out of sight.

Dull with dark clouds to the north. Slightly misty. Ground squelchy on the low ground, beginning to harden up on the higher ground.

Except for the odd door cam  within 10 miles of here, certainly the majority of villages don't have cameras they couldn't afford it.

There are some cameras on the A149 associated with the average speed cams which would be easily avoidable. Then the only others are the Boat yard and Hotel cameras which show the yards and scenery.

There's probably the odd security camera in or on shops. But not linked nationally. When I worked at tescos the store cameras were linked only to a storage cabinet in the back office.

https://www.barnesbrinkcraft.co.uk/webcam/

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/norfolk-broads/webcam/

https://www.horning-sailing.club/webcams/

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/webcams/north-walsham_united-kingdom_2641233

Plans for today,

Club accounts,

Email the club insurance details to the MRC chairman so he can send it onto the Parish council, it appears we are having a stall in the village street fair.

Muddling.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from The Charente.  I've not drawn the curtains yet so have no idea what it's like outside.  It was rather wet for much of yesterday but bright and sunny later.  Today I'm heading north to a seminar on inheritance planning.  Sounds riveting but it needs to be right.  There are several potential niggles as France is not happy at complying with EU directives in this area.  I may even stop and watch trains for an hour or so on my way home. 

Jamie

There's been at least one case in the news this week where Grandkids tried to challenge a £500K Will cos' they only got fifty quid each - the rest was divvied up between their parents.  Why only fifty quid?  Well they never bothered to go & see Grandad etc. etc.

They lost....good.

Bear has several relations who may well be a tad p1ssed off (and some) with the latest Will.  Tuff sh1t.

I think I'll be knocking up an explanation document explaining why they're gettin' diddly squat, just in case (unlikely) they reckon on challenging the Will; my Executors & Beneficiaries may well find it useful if the worst does happen.

3 hours ago, Grizz said:

However if it is switched off and then surrounded by foil then it is a reasonable assumption, using the better safe than sorry principle, that it definitely can’t be picked up on cells / masts etc. Obviously as upstanding pillar of the community I wouldn’t have any reason to conduct my affairs in this way….😆

You're having Affairs, multiple??

Does Mrs. Grizz know?

ION.....

Bear up at silly o'clock (0430) so I could go piddlin' in the Pool again 🤣; at least "it" feels good when I've done it......

Right, swim stuff just finished being washed; now to iron a pair of strides & make the Beary Pit - after that I need to sort some muddlin' stuff....

Yours,

A tired Bear....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes.....

A Beary Rant......

The word on the street is A Certain Person is going to reduce NIC's by 2%; well that'll mean all those retired end up with diddly squat reduction🤬.  T0sser.

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Does traceability make something safer?  In many individual cases I suspect not, though it does make it easier to identify who to blame in the event of an accident; it also makes it easier to identify where other components (such as a batch of dodgy bolts) may have been used.

That's an interesting question and one with no clear answer.

You can buy the non-certificated item for a lot less and the chances are it will work just as well with no adverse effects on anything. That said, I think the additional QA/QC does have a safety benefit for two reasons:

1. Any manufactured product will have a mortality rate. For most products a percentage of warranty claims and returns is built into pricing. For something like model trains a supplier like Hornby will (or should.....) by now have a pretty good understanding of failure/return costs based on their QA requirements and build it into their pricing. If a model fails, you send it back and get a replacement or a refund, it's not the end of the world. With a safety critical system it's a bit different. Certification and everything that goes with it does not guarantee a component will not fail but it should greatly reduce the probability, with obvious safety benefits; and

2. The second is a function of the blame gain. Lawyers and the litigation culture usually get a bad rap, but my experience is that legal liability has played a major role in improving risk management in industry. Regulations requiring traceability, certification etc tend to place responsibilities on companies and individuals in many cases which concentrates minds and helps greatly if challenged by bean counters. As I say, in electricity generation I quickly concluded that rather than rational argument it was much quicker just to turn the table round and say 'sign the documentation and take responsibility and we can cut cost', that invariably killed the argument dead (until next time.

So I did find it made a difference to safety, though an indirect contribution.

An example is engine crankshafts. When I worked in a classification society for my sins I ended up as technical authority for engines. That sounds a quite splendid position but in reality it meant going to see clients to apologise when stuff went horribly wrong and take it on the chin, and to deal with the awkward stuff nobody wanted to touch. I kept having to deal with demands from American engine builders demanding to be excused from building engines under survey (a core requirement of class). I kept knocking them back, but mindful that just saying no was within my rights but not helpful I did research. Crankshaft failure on marine diesels was/is extrmeley rare and when it happens there's a serious effort to find out why, such cases landed on my desk (see the dealing with hand grenades part of the role). When I looked at the engine builders in question, one of which was/is a major supplier of railway engines, crankshaft failure was an occupational hazard of buying their engines. The interesting bit wasn't that there was a much higher failure rate for their engine compared to our classed fleet, but also relative to engines made by the same company under survey. The analysis was quite stark, more than I'd reasonably accept as luck or coincidence.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Round of applause 1

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Oh yes.....

A Beary Rant......

The word on the street is A Certain Person is going to reduce NIC's by 2%; well that'll mean all those retired end up with diddly squat reduction🤬.  T0sser.

And because tax allowances aren't going to be touched for (allegedly) another 4 years as a minimum, retired folk are going to be progressivly taxed more and more.  Even the miserable state pension will end up being taxed...

TO THE BARRICADES!!!

• Agree 11
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another bright sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest corner. Once again I shall be working in the cellar, although I do all my cutting in the workshop. Well, to be honest, as the sun is shining, I can now do this outside the workshop. So, it’s more cutting and shaping of skirting boards for me today, I may even get a few glued to the walls. I’m using glue, as I’ve put tanking slurry (waterproofing) on the walls, so drill and putting rail plugs in would make that a complete waste of time! 

Back later. 

Brian. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, polybear said:

There's been at least one case in the news this week where Grandkids tried to challenge a £500K Will cos' they only got fifty quid each - the rest was divvied up between their parents.  Why only fifty quid?  Well they never bothered to go & see Grandad etc. etc.

A small error in your comment . You are spreading fake news .   😎

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/26349099/grandad-leaves-grandkids-just-fifty-pounds/

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

During the pandemic one of the US state governors (can't remember his name, sorry) made a wonderfully well observed comment about the absurdity of people whinging about big government snooping in the context of pandemic controls while using their phones for everything. The interesting thing about the comment was it didn't really matter what view people had of the proximate issue, his comment was right on the mark.

Nice example of paranoia and stupidity here .

iphonetweet.jpg.94ee49d46d811ccf7ac2ea211d4c8f46.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ok, rarely bothered to go and see their Grandad......

No , that parts fine , it's the relationship part you got wrong , their father is deceased and was a son of the  man

in question , so this ----    the rest was divvied up between their parents. ----- is the part i was referencing .

The estate was shared by his remaining children . 

I agree that the fact they lost is good , they just appear to be greedy .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

And because tax allowances aren't going to be touched for (allegedly) another 4 years as a minimum, retired folk are going to be progressively taxed more and more.  Even the miserable state pension will end up being taxed...

TO THE BARRICADES!!!

If you pay income tax on your private/occupational pension the state pension is included in the calculation. This was introduced under Maggie Thatcher, was done away with 1997-2010 under the Labour government but re-introduced by George Osborne in 2010.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

That's sad.....😢

Setting fire to plastic waste (that black sooty plume isn’t good)  in woodland seems to have about as much sense as people chucking soup over artworks to encourage us to think about global climate change. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 13

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Ok, rarely bothered to go and see their Grandad......

Still an 'untruth' I'm afraid my dear Bear. The reason that they didn't go was because there father died and they became ostracised from there grandfather.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Drat that teach me to open my big mouth before reading all the posts. Sorry Bear.
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9