The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

@PupCam - Your telescope is labelled as a "Sky Watcher" so if you can see any sky through it...  I've a cheapo 4" reflector on an equally cheapo equatorial mount with completely bargain basement eyepieces.  I can't use it as the area around my house is blasted by high-intensity LED streetlights.  At least I didn't waste too much money on it!

16 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's Thought For The Day......

Did the four "Terrorists" being paraded in front of the media in Russia actually the ones responsible?  Or are they fall guys picked purely so the State can say "We caught them!!"

For some strange reason I can't imagine that a member of IS would allow themselves to be caught alive, knowing what they'd be in for.....

Yours, 

A Cynical Bear

As soon as his Putinness declared that they had caught the "killers", I immediately thought that they had just rounded up the usual suspects.  That he said they were caught running away to Ukraine was the cherry on the top!

No doubt they'll come to a protracted sticky end...

I understand that the good old US of A warned the Russians at the beginning of the month, that an IS attack on a large public venue was likely to take place during March, a warning that the Russians instantly poo-pooed as American troublemaking, and then ignored.

No doubt the reason for the subsequent mudslinging at the Ukranians.

Edited by Hroth
a bit more
  • Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

@PupCam - Your telescope is labelled as a "Sky Watcher" so if you can see any sky through it...  I've a cheapo 4" reflector on an equally cheapo equatorial mount with completely bargain basement eyepieces.  I can't use it as the area around my house is blasted by high-intensity LED streetlights.  At least I didn't waste too much money on it!

As soon as his Putinness declared that they had caught the "killers", I immediately thought that they had just rounded up the usual suspects.  That he said they were caught running away to Ukraine was the cherry on the top!

No doubt they'll come to a protracted sticky end...

More likely returned to their unit...

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, polybear said:

Oh yes.....

Whilst travelling to & from The Piddlin' Pool this morning I went past a newly constructed block of "Luxury Apartments - available from Sept. 2023".  I did observe that the pointy roof (on a 4? storey block) featured slipped slates on both sides, with the felt visible underneath.  Jeez - it's barely a year old FFS.  British construction standards at their very best.....

They’ve probably been already sold to various consortia with polished brass plate letterboxes located in the Cayman Islands as “an investment” and may never be lived in - so who cares if the slates slip and the roof leaks.

Switzerland isn’t perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but they do get an awful lot of things right – such as how and which foreigners can buy property in Switzerland: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/banking-fintech/buying-property-in-switzerland/29263024#:~:text=Foreigners are allowed to buy,the buyer's country of origin.&text=Switzerland has a specific federal,former justice minister Arnold Koller).

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Bear’s a wanderin’….….……

- but currently in the Pits….and there’s a rugrat with a big gob on the next table 😡 Oh Poo.

It’ll be all the fun of Tess & Co shortly, before crawling back up the big long hill to Bear Towers.  I may be some time…..

BG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Well he didn't bank on that nice Mrs Thatcher shutting down pretty much of the manufacturing and that everything is now made in China. Most of the 754 skilled men who worked where I did ended up stacking supermarket shelves or driving fork trucks in warehouses.

A University instructor (originally from Canada) had worked at Boeing during the 747 design days. He had a story that when 747 wrapped up most of the gas (petrol) station attendants in Seattle were aerospace engineers.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Will have to go to Tess Coe's for some supplies as I've run out of almost everything. Last time I went there (Friday) a lot of the things I went there for were sold out. At least with the schools closed for the holidays it won't be so hectic.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

One of the questions we get asked on watch is "Have you seen whales today?"

It is grey whale migration season (north from their wintering/calving in the Sea of Cortez) right now. There are a number of designated whale watching spots on the Oregon coast, staffed with volunteers to assist anyone who would like to drop by.

Oregon State Parks Whale watching.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's Thought For The Day......

Did the four "Terrorists" being paraded in front of the media in Russia actually the ones responsible?  Or are they fall guys picked purely so the State can say "We caught them!!"

For some strange reason I can't imagine that a member of IS would allow themselves to be caught alive, knowing what they'd be in for.....

Yours, 

A Cynical Bear

I'm pretty sure they have the right perps, however I do think there are a lot of questions about the link to IS.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Bit of a disappointment today. I was expecting Kath to come home today but despite blood pressure being under control following a change of tablets she has to stay in for now. The reason? The consultant has gone on holiday. Presumably for a week. If she has to stay in until then it may be next Monday before he gives her the ok to leave. On Tuesday Kath has to go back in for her operation on Wednesday. So unless another doctor has the authority to send her home she will effectively be a bed blocker for a week. 

Stay safe all.    

Yet another perfect example of why the NHS is in the Poo.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ben Supervising Collie, watched from a safe distance doing his sphinx impression.

Laugh rating given as I was at that minute imagining His Sphinxship in a CC reconstruction.

• Like 9
  • Funny 8

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

One of the questions we get asked on watch is "Have you seen whales today?"

My response has been predictable - to those who know me - with the swift riposte that "No - it's too far away"

I can’t see why there’s any confusion - “Wales” and “whales” are pronounced differently.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Snip……and I’ve always struggled with my weight (it’s dem pesky fat-saving Anglo-Saxon genes of mine). Snip..

Doc, is it only Anglo-Saxon genes that have fat-saving characteristics? Or could Viking genes be predisposed to ‘a touch of the tubby’ as well? 

……asking for a friend. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11