RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

I watched that when originally broadcast. I'm officially old.

I can safely say that it's 8 weeks older than me...

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ps if these venomous spiders are so bad why don't the Aussies fo what I do..squidgy them?  (You have to get them caught by a spider catcher and moved somewhere else officially. .. yer wot????)

hmmm, I think you'll find its snakes that get relocated - spiders you can do what you like with.

Although it is looked at as being UnAustralian if you squash a Huntsman rather than catch it and put it outside  since they are harmless - plus it makes an incredible mess!

4 hours ago, polybear said:

p.s.  Does the catcher geezer/geezeress cost money?

Commercial ones around here  charge around $120 or so for a callout (at least thats what I got charged last time) ,  some states and regions  its cheaper or dearer - basically they are a small business so think of them like locksmiths or plumbers: when you need them, you need them! 

There is also a volunteer wildlife rescue organisation called WIRES who will do it for free but they are often  harder to get hold of in a timely manner.

But at the end of the day how much is your life worth?...

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/man-dies-after-being-bitten-by-deadly-snake-on-north-qld-property/news-story/87d8d3186893c52dca613a2ed1ff2a93

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

ION. Over the last week or so, we’ve been entertained by a pair of dunnocks

I haven’t ever seen a dunnock. Earlier this year I thought for a moment or two I  had , but what I saw was a tree sparrow. I hadn’t seen one of these before either so was still very pleased. What was interesting was that it was while I was in area with lots of hedging but no trees!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I haven’t ever seen a dunnock. Earlier this year I thought for a moment or two I  had , but what I saw was a tree sparrow. I hadn’t seen one of these before either so was still very pleased. What was interesting was that it was while I was in area with lots of hedging but no trees!

Tony, my first thought was that these were tree sparrows, but once I’d watched them for a while and the. checked my book of birds, that confirmed they weren’t tree sparrows, but dunnocks instead. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A good talk from our chairman (SEERS) on the photographs from an unknown photographer* of the GE and LT&S lines. Started a bit late due to the laptop that we usually use going AWOL though probably in the wrong cupboard but the presenter nipped home to fetch his own laptop and we started only twenty minutes late. A very interesting lot of photographs covering from 1920 to about 1960 that have never been seen before.

*The person who loaned us the photographs is a train driver for C2C and he explained that they were taken by his father, uncle, grandfather and great grandfather who were all railwaymen. It is not certain which member of the family took which photograph.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The indigenous folk have already adapted. Australian Rules football is a winter sport, while cricket is a summer sport.

They both share the same large oval fields  but usually they never collide.

But in the NT summer is ridiculously humid and the cricketers don't like standing around in the humidity, so they demanded that their season be in the "winter" (actually called "The Dry" since it is not humid and monsoonal then) 

SO the Northern Territory Football League has to play their football competition in the middle of summer, running around in ridiculous humidity.  I went to see a match in January one year when I was up there, it was too hot to sit in the stand, let along run around like mad in the sun. 

Most NTFL players are indigenous -  compared to the cricketers -  so it does have a sad whiff of colonialism /  white privilege about it. 

Over here you see the truth about the old song mad dogs and Englishmen. Locals (and even foreigners who are long term visitors) tend to go outside in the morning when it's very pleasant or the evening when it's humid but without the hot sun. They go outside if they have to in the heat of the day but generally avoid exercise and going for a walk outside. I think it's another reason things like construction go on outside office hours, doing hard manual work between midmorning and late afternoon must be brutal.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, pH said:

It got so bad that one afternoon we just went and sat in the underground basement of a house under construction - continuing to work outside would have been risking heatstroke.

With the heat we've seen in the last few years - particularly the 2021 heat dome, we've seen new heat-related labor legislation in Oregon. Not just outdoors either - they apply to indoor locations without mechanical ventilation.

There is a requirement to provide shade - which is a big deal for agricultural workers where there is often no shade.

Has BC made similar legislation?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11