RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Last week I secretly ordered a $2800 hardtop for the ute, so it'll look like this: 

image.png.ffef0fa6c93f30aefa33ab26176323ec.png

It'll replace the current black tonneau soft-top which currently looks like this

image.png.e3994fa33851ca631c6f7bce3ed5fc52.png

I'm still working out how to convincingly say "No, it has always looked like that".

The alternative option "Well, YOU just had a $3300 eye operation and you dont hear me complaining about that!" probably won't cut it.

Or you could paint the hard lid black.

"But it was always like that!!!"

(Screen went grey and there was a minutes pause while ER digested this post...)

Edited by Hroth
Posting speed update
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Or you could paint the hard lid black.

"But it was always like that!!!"

Bvgger - beaten to it 😒

If Chimpy uses water based poster paint, then after a few days announce that it'll be painted to match the Ute then all he'll need to do is wash the black paint off......

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 11

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Bvgger - beaten to it 😒

If Chimpy uses water based poster paint, then after a few days announce that it'll be painted to match the Ute then all he'll need to do is wash the black paint off......

I have a query. What's a Ute?

Signed blissfully ignorant.

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Didn't George Formby play one?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

39 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The other option I'm toying with for the "last of the V8's" around Australia retirement trip is to get the panel van pack:

image.png.79fe62beafbdafa5d3529db0ebc710e5.png

Those wheels are somewhat ridiculous but the rest of it is a homage to the 1970's Sandman van scene that was huge here back then

image.png.bfed01bf0e656a215a0846b87cc3ec63.png

Every teen girls parents nightmare was to see one of these roll up in the driveway on a Friday night and to hear "Duanes here - we're just going to the drive in, bye dad, bye mum!" 

Anyway, it opens up camping options and memories of surf trips up the north coast and beyond - happy days!

The green one, which i do like, reminds me of a hearse and the fact David Vanian, lead singer with The Damned, used to drive round in a hearse.

IMG_8661.jpeg.a437838299dbced1e032fdc9db6bfc9e.jpeg
Looks like the kind of a guy that would do his weekly shopping in a hearse.

Edited by Erichill16
Change wording add pic
  • Like 14

21 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

@monkeysarefun does this class as an ute? IMG_8621.jpeg.de0b496a90e5dfe6c828378291e265e0.jpegSeen at the footie match  last week .

(Makes that sucking-air-through-teeth-when-undecided noise).... 

According to the legends, the ute started life in the 20's or 30's when a farmer's wife wrote a letter to Ford Australia asking if they could make a car that they could take the pigs to market in  on a Monday and go to church in on the Sunday. So someone or other  at Ford got tasked to design such a vehicle and the ute was born.

So strictly speaking, the ute here has always been a passenger car based vehicle,  for instance the HQ Holden Kingswood came in sedan, station wagon (shooting brake?), panel van and ute options. 

Even when British Leyland tried to get us to buy their cars,  we managed to adapt them to local conditions, for instance the Austin 1800 ute:

image.png.5a742737b160392943acb8ed380ca0c9.png

The true ute died when Holden and Ford gave up local production here, the Japanese provide dual cab utes like the Hilux but although they are utes, they aren't Utes - if you know what I mean. For instance you cant do this to your diesel Mitsubishi Triton etc. 

image.png.8abb88880271621ee75ab2c568551316.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

(Makes that sucking-air-through-teeth-when-undecided noise).... 

It's a pick-up.  

A ute should have a purely utilitarian tray on the back.  This may or may not be integral with the cab unit but to my mind it should not be stylised in the same manner.  Other opinions are available.  Especially from those who frequent ute-musters.  

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

the ute started life in the 20's or 30's when a farmer's wife wrote a letter to Ford Australia asking if they could make a car that they could take the pigs to market in  on a Monday and go to church in on the Sunday. So someone or other  at Ford got tasked to design such a vehicle and the ute was born.

In the UK some public omnibuses began in much the same way.  A vehicle which could take livestock to and from market one day and shoppers to town the next.  In some cases they were swap-body chassis but others were genuine all-purpose, or utility, vehicles.  

As late as 1984 I was aboard the local bus from Port Isaac into Wadebridge - run by Prout's for those with local interest although it was a pensioned-off former Western National coach - when a local farmer and goat sought to board.  Never mind the less-than-able claiming difficulty getting themselves and their shopping trolleys up and down four or five steps at the door; this unlikely pair were admitted and the goat was eventually persuaded to sit in the aisle.  As I was near the front I was also able to confirm that the farmer paid his own fare but the goat was charged as for a dog.  Presumably there was no separate "goat" fare available.  They were off to market; farmer was expecting to return sans-goat "if 'ee were lucky" 

Fast-forward around 15 years and I was driving for Western National around St. Ives.  We had three standard pre-set fare levels with dogs charged at a standard 50p for any one-way trip.  Some adult fares were only 20p and many were less than 50p meaning a dog fare could be more than that for its owner!  We sometimes got asked what the big bold letters printed on our tickets stood for.  Easy ..... 

AS - Adult Single

AR - Adult Return

CS - Child Single 

CS - Child Return

SS - Seagull Single

SR - Seagull Return

..... which caused a few smiles at times.  The S-prefix of course meant Senior in the days before there was widespread free travel.  We also had a lot more combinations which could appear but in some cases seldom did so.  Some of those were AW - Adult Weekly, CD - Child Day, DG - Dog (or goat?), PA - Penwith Adult (a promotional open-jaw ticket supported by Penwith District Council which allowed outward travel from A to B and return from C to A), MW - Midweek Maximum (a company promotion which offered a maximum return fare of £2 on Wednesdays in winter), KW ("Key West" - a multi-operator weekly ticket valid on most buses across the south-west) and quite a few others.  

• Like 17

28 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

The green one, which i do like, reminds me of a hearse and the fact Rat Scabies, drummer with The Damned, used to drive round in a hearse. 

Mate, you should have been a punk down here instead of being all miserable  and anarchic in the cold up there!  Punk here was influenced by the UK but in truth we had little to whinge about, the mid 70's were awesome here, sun, surf and cars.  The Saints and Radio Birdman probably defined our punk movement- and Queensland Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen definitely gave the Queensland  youth something to complain about if you lived there but the rest of the country was pretty spoilt for everything that you could want when you are 17 - jobs aplenty, sun, parties  - basically a fun filled place. 

Music happened in the surf clubs and gigs were  made memorable for me by the heat and sweat and noise. Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil I recall seeing in a surf club in North Sydney collapsed and on oxygen between sets. It was mental.

The later 70's and early 80's it was Midnight Oil, The Angels and Cold Chisel that defined our local sound. Like our cars, we kept it to ourselves in our happy place down here, unique like our wildlife. 

What a great place it was  to grow up in - unless you were gay,  or aboriginal etc of course!

But anyway, Radio Birdman!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go out today but more milk is required and the doctor has asked me for a urine sample (just to check that the problem I had last month has cleared up). The hay fever has started to ramp up as well so I'd better get going before it gets too bad.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

It’s a bit like a shed but with wheels on

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... assorted piles are becoming more organised so that I may be able to find things more easily. It’s taken quite a long time to get to this stage, but there is method and, albeit rather slow, progress ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/04/02/no-new-covid-stats-still-domestically-micro-sorting-native-trees/

I only plant native trees and plants in our garden. Native to this planet 

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

When I was out in the car earlier I caught a few minutes of a Radio 4 programme, and they were talking about Wagner's Ring Cycle, with excerpts - now that was the kind of opera I really do not like!  The howling cat stuff indeed.

Oh I don't know.

Some of Wagner, definitely. But then he also came up with this:

When Wagner is good he is VERY good, but at times he can be very tedious (as many of his contemporary composers observed). But his "good bits " have earned him a lot of forgiveness!

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

A short time ago I had a very unpleasant experience while returning home from town.  I came to a road junction where the side street I was on meets the main road, less than a car's length along the main road is a light controlled crossing.  Coming up to the junction you can't see the lights, you have to be just starting to move forwards to really see the light.  The light changed to red just as I pulled out, fortunately I was able to stop just on the line.

The couple who had just started crossing the road were understandably not amused.

When I've been on the main road I've often noticed people pulling out having to stop very sharply, now I know why.  I'll go a different way in future.

I have checked my dashcam footage, you really cannot see the light until you start to pull out.

David

My two-pennorth - is it a Stop or a Give Way junction? From how you've described it, if it's not the former then it ought to be. Not that I'm any sort of expert but it sounds like a junction where very slow speed and caution on emerging are called for.

Can you save your footage as evidence? 

As well as a letter to the local authority or Highways Agency, it may be worth contacting the local media, if only to highlight to the relevant authority it's a dangerous situation. And if you can get an article or letter published online, then - should anything bad happen and the family/solicitors start searching for any indication the junction is 'dodgy', they can wave that as evidence it was a known bad junction and nothing was done. That is something the council or HA will know and you may find it easier to get something done before someone gets hurt. Being sneaky, should you be able to get two or three of your friends to write letters to the local paper or interest the local reporter to do an article, you could then write to officialdom and say several of us have spotted this/had near misses and it's been in the press, if someone gets hurt, you're going to get hammered... 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Read the report. I am all for healthy eating but suspicious of crappy use of statistics.

Yes. As we know correlation and causality are different things. Do people eat more sugar when depressed?

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Do people eat more sugar when depressed?

Oh yes - hence that famous term "Comfort Food"

• Like 12
  • Agree 2