RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

A shed is mentioned but not that it has to be insulated and heated plus big enough for your planned layout etc.

Be careful about that shed climate management - lest it become a "she shed".

Yes, it is a thing - whatever your Ladybird books might say.

I've seen the fancy display homes so equipped.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

This was the tea I made this evening.

IMG_7183.jpeg.4f1304913571c5916c443a8ebd9d45cf.jpeg

For those interested dessert was some plain and simple strawberries (no sugar, cream or ice cream) and a banana.

Bedtime now, night all.

Tea?

But where are the cucumber sandwiches, scones, clotted cream & jam, Victoria sponge and pot of Earl Grey?

Looks like a splendid dinner to me…..

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Whilst driving yesterday I listened to an item on Radio 4 about the sad demise of the Little Chef chain.  It made me think of our late friend  Chrisf who loved them and their breakfasts and lamented their passing. 

Absolutely - more than a few Olympic Brekkies have passed Bear's lips (a fact which I'm sure will come as no surprise to iD.....) - 99.999% of which were paid for by The Great (not) Empire, which made them all the more yummy.  Come to think of it, they were paying Bear to scoff them.....😁

A buddy at work knows of the owner of the chain - a Grade A a***hole according to him.  Apparently the chain was still making a profit - though I'm not 100% sure on that one.

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I was going to say "no it isn't" (around 6:30am BST) 

Then this happened out of the blue:

image.png.30bf9fa05e2c3bbc62f2f0f2bc230285.png

But back again quickly.

EDIT;

Then it happened again and was quickly available - plus the last two pages were duplicated.

At 0430am I was seeing repeated "This Page is taking too long to respond" popups - asking if I'd like to wait or exit the page.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Returning to housing/accommodation. Why are we (i.e. us “old folks”) under so much pressure to “downsize” when we reach pensionable age? Even in the absence of sprogs (who presumably would want to get their grubby little protuberances on the family estate) there is pressure to give up a perfectly decent sized house.

I see NO reason (except for physical limitations) to give up a perfectly serviceable dwelling. Plus, consider this: you have spent your entire life working your b*****ks off, looking forward to enjoying all your hobbies and activities when you retire; then along comes some clever clogs*, who “advises“ you to downsize! So, if you do, where the &#@# will you do all those activities and hobbies you were looking forward to doing in retirement?

*often in the position to trouser ££££ for his/her “advice” and subsequent sale of your property.

Absolutely - if it ain't busted then don't fix it.  Assuming you have some disposable income then in this Bear's Book it makes far more sense to stay put and divert all the fees and costs involved in moving to people such as gardeners & cleaners to help with routine maintenance.

• Like 8
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

28 minutes ago, polybear said:

Absolutely - more than a few Olympic Brekkies have passed Bear's lips (a fact which I'm sure will come as no surprise to iD.....) - 99.999% of which were paid for by The Great (not) Empire, which made them all the more yummy.  Come to think of it, they were paying Bear to scoff them.....😁

A buddy at work knows of the owner of the chain - a Grade A a***hole according to him.  Apparently the chain was still making a profit - though I'm not 100% sure on that one.

At 0430am I was seeing repeated "This Page is taking too long to respond" popups - asking if I'd like to wait or exit the page.

Absolutely - if it ain't busted then don't fix it.  Assuming you have some disposable income then in this Bear's Book it makes far more sense to stay put and divert all the fees and costs involved in moving to people such as gardeners & cleaners to help with routine maintenance.

The councils in Manutopea have taken, for once, the quite wise decision to provide features such as steps, handrails etc to enable the old folks to stay in there properties. This is because they've worked out that it's cheaper to do that than to have them shipped off to the old folks home. Trust the bean counters to do a cost benefit analysis. 

• Like 15

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Heinz Veggy Soup?

Under that vegetable covering was some very tender lean braising steak and a 4 lean back bacon slices.

It was yum though I say it myself, good old cooking learnt from my mum all those years ago.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

ION

I’ll have to get a copy of the Frank Whittle biography mentioned in dispatches by @PupCam. I have read a bit about the history of Britain during this period and one thing does stand out. Is how the post war British governments (1st Labour and then Conservative) threw away all the technological advances and leadership in so many aerospace and other engineering areas. David Kynaston has written some interesting and unsentimental histories of the postwar years 1945-1951

Threw away or perhaps were rather forced to give away lest our friends across the pond should call in those loans they made to us in the war.

• Agree 16

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Threw away or perhaps were rather forced to give away lest our friends across the pond should call in those loans they made to us in the war.

And we were cash strapped anyway and couldn't afford to develop things such as supersonic flight which was handed to the Yanks on a plate.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52#

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

29 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have suffered a partial land grab in my shed. It was probably my fault as I did offer some space for an artwork bench, which was eagerly taken up, but what I wasn’t prepared for was the introduction  of an ironing board, clothes horses and other paraphernalia to do with washing. The main snag with that is that when the weather dictates that the washing is put out to dry in the shed instead of outdoors the atmosphere gets very humid to the detriment of some workshop equipment and modelling materials. I have therefore invested in a decent sized dehumidifier that is deployed when wet washing is put in the shed and it is amazing how much water it sucks out of the air.

Dave

We have two sheds, one each....................................................

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Downsizing - too much hassle -  it's finding space that's the problem.

I can empathise with the books. And the modelling - and the workshop - and the storage for caravan stuff.

Isn;t retirement going to be fun!

Simple solution , live in the caravan and just use the house for storage .

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And we were cash strapped anyway and couldn't afford to develop things such as supersonic flight which was handed to the Yanks on a plate.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52#

Mainly because the Americans made damn sure the UK was down to its last few farthings before they handed over some clapped out ships in what became the first of the lend-lease programme.

Whilst it is undeniably true that the US and the UK share much in common and frequently have the same geopolitical interests, America has never been (as much as some politicians wish it otherwise) Britain's "greatest friend" - the "Special Relationship", much championed by Churchill, has frequently been mostly one-way (in the US's favour). There was significant anti-British sentiment prior to WWII (probably fueled in part by the large Irish diaspora in the US) and even now there is a tendency towards anti British sentiment in some parts of US society (https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/2588075/why-is-irish-america-so-anti-british/,

We should heed the words, spoken in a moment of unguardedness by Henry Kissinger "America has no permanent friends or enemies, only interests".

The sooner the politicians in Westminster grasp the geopolitical realities of the world, the better.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Agree 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I believe that Attlee allowed the transfer of an Avon engine to the USSR and the copies they made powered the early Migs in Korea. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I be that Attlee allowed the transfer of an Avon engine to the USSR and the copies they made powered the early Migs in Korea. 

Jamie

Rumour has it the USA were somewhat unhappy (other words are available) about that little stunt....

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3