Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

And this is in the news at the moment - and guess what:

Mr Masum was bailed by magistrates in November after being charged with assaulting and threatening to kill Ms Akter, offences which he had denied.

Court documents show Mr Masum, who is from Oldham, was charged with threatening to kill Ms Akter on 24 November and assaulting her on 23 November. Both offences were alleged to have happened in Manchester.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68769197

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, polybear said:

loads of dross that required the services of Mickey the Miele to clean up. 

For some reason "I Want To Break Free" by Queen has got stuck in my head.

_5ac84924-6f51-4260-b05c-4e6c26938c90.jpg.f3f1019c6b55ab1228f7ffa277620065.jpg

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from the Charente. Ears to be lowered later then shopping.   This afternoon some G work.

Here it is definitely getting warmer and spring has sprung.  The grass is growing very fast and we don't need the heating  much.   

One thing is that some red and black insects have come out of their hiding places.   At this time of the year they are often attached in pairs.   This they are known locally as Gendarmes.

However I don't know how this collection would be categorised.

P4053769.JPG.d3fcf028e951cde69fa6bdc63aeaa442.JPG

Jamie

Task Force .   

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Guess how EonNext insist on paying me for the electricity I sell to them…

Not only by cheque but an “unsigned “ cheque which the bank phone app doesn’t recognise, requiring a trip to the bank, which have all closed in Benfleet. Fortunately the Post Office counter in the Coop still has cheque paying in facilities. 

I have yet to receive any income from all the electricity I'm generating. If I don't get something soon I'm thinking of asking for it back and seeing anyone else would like it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, polybear said:

A Cynical Bear might even think that someone on the Council was receiving plain brown envelopes.....

No just couldn't care less. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

For some reason "I Want To Break Free" by Queen has got stuck in my head.

_5ac84924-6f51-4260-b05c-4e6c26938c90.jpg.f3f1019c6b55ab1228f7ffa277620065.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhh my eyes……my eyes…….😫

er no offence….

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

I have yet to receive any income from all the electricity I'm generating. If I don't get something soon I'm thinking of asking for it back and seeing anyone else would like it.

I had quite a faff getting an export contract but even though my smart meter transmits the export data I have to send a photo of the reading to an email address at eonnext!

Adding an extra battery recently has of course reduced our export but has significantly reduced even our cheap rate consumption. We had decided we needed an extra battery and by coincidence our supplier contacted us to say they thought we would benefit from more storage. It must have been the easiest sales call ever, as I just asked when they could come and fit it. 

• Like 16
  • Funny 3

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I had quite a faff getting an export contract but even though my smart meter transmits the export data I have to send a photo of the reading to an email address at eonnext!

Adding an extra battery recently has of course reduced our export but has significantly reduced even our cheap rate consumption. We had decided we needed an extra battery and by coincidence our supplier contacted us to say they thought we would benefit from more storage. It must have been the easiest sales call ever, as I just asked when they could come and fit it. 

When I was considering getting the system I specifically asked for three batteries rather than just the one they proposed. I figured that if something went awry it just be with one of them and I'd still have two to use.

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

_46eb0242-4335-4a21-accb-05a589157a0a.jpg.dfff759be810e8401cf6bc382cf9d14a.jpg@polybear was at first very skeptical about being "volunteered" to be a <citizen judge>, until he learned that he could apply the law as he saw fit...

I'm sure there are  rules about putting the black thing on your head AFTER the jury verdict, not when the defendant first enters the courtroom., @polybear!

In the early days of the colony here in Sydney  there was a pious reverend - the Reverend Marsden, known as the Flogging Parson ,  who acted as a magistrate in cases brought to him regarding convicts -  he was not shy in handing out 50, 100, 250 lashes.  Perhaps his descendants and @polybearshould do one of those ancestry.com DNA thingies.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 18

Just now, monkeysarefun said:

I'm sure there are  rules about putting the black thing on your head AFTER the jury verdict, not when the defendant first enters the courtroom. 

Probably saves both time AND money....

• Funny 14

Judge @polybear's mobile "wall to stand in front of whilst blindfolded and having a quiet ciggie" was considered a major and significant advance in British Jurisprudence.

portablewall.jpg.2a001cf99ba59dc6fd30b170fce0fd6a.jpg

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Grizz said:

Getintoratheralottatrouble? …..A lot of Trub sumink after this fashion my dear Bear?

IMG_3634.jpeg.62ac3ae552019860e0ac4391c3d73f8f.jpeg

Oh @Grizz, I had you down as being a Bear of some sofystikayshun and finness…..

Far too quick, that…. at least let a Poly enjoy the moment…..

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I am reminded of a chap I once worked with whose English was learned a long way from these shores.  "Ferocious" was pronounced "Fur-OSS-ee-us" for example.  

Bear once saw a GP who said I had “Attritis”

Somewhat confused, I asked if that was anything like Arthritis.

”Same thing” he says…..

43 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

_46eb0242-4335-4a21-accb-05a589157a0a.jpg.dfff759be810e8401cf6bc382cf9d14a.jpg@polybear was at first very skeptical about being "volunteered" to be a <citizen judge>, until he learned that he could apply the law as he saw fit...

Where do I sign up?

34 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'm sure there are  rules about putting the black thing on your head AFTER the jury verdict, not when the defendant first enters the courtroom., @polybear!

Jury?  What Jury??

Don’t want one of those - all they do is make things more expensive by wantin’ travel expenses and then after six weeks listenin’ to Lawyer cr@p they go and do something dumb like find them innocent 😡

• Funny 12

Many of our early newspapers have been digitised and are free to view on trove.com.au. I guess the UK has the same free service but despite our less depth of historical perspective trove  still brings up some gems. Like this one in our local paper from 1890 or so, an old timer is recording his memories of when he was young here in the early 1800's when convicts were everywhere.   From the "Some things never change!" department he is bemoaning that miscreants of 1890 are treated very leniently compared to those he saw in 1815.

From the @polybear "Those were the Days!" section.....

In 1809 I was born in Parramatta, and three years afterwards came with my parents to the property (a grant to my father) at Narellan now in my possession, where I have resided ever since. The prisoner population was very large in the early days, and worked in gangs. When reading of the scoundrelism of the larrikin element in some parts of Sydney today  I could not help noticing how differently prisoners were punished in 1815 compared with to-day. In 1815, for the most trifling offence, men were often flogged tilI the flesh dropped off their backs. These days the  larrikins often commit the most abominable and heinous crimes, yet escape with little or no punishment. In days long past I have often seen the men flogged, and pitied them when they were under the control of tyrants.

And this one, where the police arrest someone on the basis of a dream he had. Would make an interesting plot device for Father Brown, Mrs Marbles, The two other blokes, the guy in the  Bahamas or something, and all the other English crime mysteries!

In 1827 there was a policeman named John Higgins. Higgins' father had a grant at Elderslie.

A robbery was committed in the neighborhood while. Higgins was stationed there, and the constable had been out during the day looking for the robbers, and in the course

of the night following he said he had a dream that two men in the road party working close by had committed the robbery. He gave a description of their dress and appearance. He went to the camp next day, and had the men mustered. He picked out the two men who, he said, answered the description of his dream. He took them into custody, and put them in the lockup until court time. Whn the men were brought before the court there was plenty of evidence to prove that they were not absent from their camp on the night of the robbery. They were discharged. I wonder if

such a case came up now what would be said"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I subscribe to several magazines and as I was bagging up some old papers I came across a renewal notice for one of them. It was printed on the back of the name and address slip that came in the bag with the magazine. In previous years they have sent a separate letter but I nearly missed this one. Just as well that the last one was the April edition and the renewal starts with the May edition which is not published until next week.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

so Alkenes and alkynes albecame Alkanes. 

Ah, yes, as they are aal kiyn's of things.....mixing your carbon and hydrogen is so diverse!

• Like 9
  • Agree 4