The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Just wonderin' if ripping the musical(?) tune out of a Mr. Whippy Van and shovin' somewhere the sun doesn't shine is considered a criminal offence?

Askin' for a friend......

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I've been going through today's e mails.  My gas and electricity bill is going down by £15/month and my mobile bill this month is £2-80.  A good day.

Even better - the sun has put in an appearance.

David

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Just wonderin' if ripping the musical(?) tune out of a Mr. Whippy Van and shovin' somewhere the sun doesn't shine is considered a criminal offence?

One imagines there might be a (small) market for musical insertable 'toys' to suit particular tastes.

Oh, you mean the tune was annoying you? 😉

Do you not enjoy Greensleeves? It is very traditional.

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

One imagines there might be a (small) market for musical insertable 'toys' to suit particular tastes.

Oh, you mean the tune was annoying you? 😉

Do you not enjoy Greensleeves? It is very traditional.

I'm sure that Polybears beef with ice cream van tunes isn't with the tunes themselves, but with highly distorted electronic reproduction, akin to a cheap multi-tune electronic doorbell.  I'm with him with that!

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Askin' for a friend......

Aditi was on a course once, it must have been for Adult Education.  She was partnered by a colleague from the Careers Service. They had to continue working after dinner on the Saturday evening, writing proposals for courses that would widen community participation in Adult Ed. and other worthy aims. As they had been made to work (this wasn’t paid, just a professional expectation to attend),Aditi and her colleague’s submission went quite well until the course organisers realised it was something of a spoof. They had put together a course to attract people from the Italian community in Southend, noting that mobile confectionery retailers were very under represented on Adult Ed College courses. I think it may have been the “music appreciation” module that gave it away. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm sure that Polybears beef with ice cream van tunes isn't with the tunes themselves, but with highly distorted electronic reproduction, akin to a cheap multi-tune electronic doorbell.  I'm with him with that!

Round here, it is usually a few bars of “o sole mio” played so loud it penetrates quite good double glazing. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

41 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Round here, it is usually a few bars of “o sole mio” played so loud it penetrates quite good double glazing. 

Well, everyone knows that means "Just One Cornetto"...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

.....played at 120dB.

What's the point anyway - everyone knows that when they play the tune it means they've sold out......

• Funny 15

6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... resit submissions. Not many made an effort that has made a difference for them. It makes me wonder about their work ethic ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/04/12/covid-variants-marking-and-referral-upwards/

Personally I think that the former "PO Chars" were suffering from inflammable trousers.  Perhaps subconsciously you thought so too? 🤪

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Evening Awl,

Don't get ice cream vans here, even though we are close to a beach. Just not enough people around, can hear them at a more popular beach occasionally, that's a couple of miles away.

Museum was very quiet in the mooring, so did a lot of muddling  on this.

image.png.93e585d9e00ab7da9dcf36de899fe710.png

A Early Type 14 mobile Radar on a Austin K6 lorry. Anyway at 1/87 scale that dish is now attached to the transmitter cabin behind it. Almost ready to go ashore on 6th June ...

Another hundred ish fence posts were fitting to RAF Neatishead 1/1000 scale 1983.

Then on things unmentionable, at the MRC later things also went extremely well..

Muggachoccy gone goodnight Awl.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Don't get ice cream vans here, even though we are close to a beach.

The first ice cream cone we bought for Matthew was on the Norfolk Broads and it was from an ice cream boat.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Hay fever came back with a vengeance this afternoon so I took antihistamines followed by some eyelid inspection. Now I've got to catch up on a few TV programs but first RMweb and Farcebook.

• Friendly/supportive 16

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has one - twelve quid from Chinatown, K.L.

Yeah I know them. Buy one at Christmas and it turns green by St Patrick’s Day.

7 hours ago, polybear said:

The real deal over here just make you a target; I’m even careful where I wear the fake - 

Well that doesn’t happen here in Switzerland… Apart from the fact that you can get yourself into pretty serious trouble by entering Switzerland with a fake….well, anything.  Rolex may be one of the best known Swiss chronometers (they are chronometers not watches) but they’re hardly amongst the most expensive ones. The Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime Ref. 6300A went for $31 Million at auction in 2019

Rolex are superb watches and you pay for the quality, but they’re rarely in the price league of Patek Phillipe or Audemars Piguet.

Anyway, as to fooling the scrotes, fakes are pretty easy to spot (once you own a real one), the fake ones never “sit right” on the wrist. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Like yesterday, the weather remained fine, in fact I didn’t need to wear a jacket today, although Sheila still wore her coat! Anyway, the items we went to collect were picked up, so that’s Ava’s and Evie’s birthday and Christmas presents sorted! This afternoon I sat at the table and with the aid of a pencil, some paper and an eraser, I pondered the switching and wiring arrangements for the 3 way point. My final design uses, apart from some cable, just 3 items, 2 micro switches for changing the crossing vee polarity and a Double Pole, ON/OFF/ON switch for operation. The point will be operated using 2 mini servo’s mounted below the baseboard, the 2 micro switches will be mounted on the servo brackets, 1 on each servo and will be operated by the servo arms. Hopefully, the drawings below will make it all clearer.

First the point and crossing vees

IMG_20240412_174415_Original.jpeg.afbf6f6c92e8ae2a678a859c45b3ef21.jpeg

The the operating switch 

IMG_20240412_174432_Original.jpeg.5802bb96823db29c7ea563685bec478b.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

did a lot of muddling  on this.

How does one turn that off? Do you sneak up on it from behind and throw a switch or is there a distant 'power van' (along with presumably a mobile scope van) where the switch would be located.

I wouldn't want to go anywhere near the front side of that truck while the device was 'on'.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1