RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Air fryers are useful if you're cooking for yourself and if what you're cooking is small enough to fit in the basket/slidey drawer thing/whatever and you'd otherwise use an oven.  They're like a conventional fan oven but use less energy (ie cheaper to run) as there's less volume to heat up/keep to temperature.  However, I don't think they reduce cooking times.

I;m on my own, and bought a cooker with a dual oven. Apart from casseroles and roasts I use the smaller oven. I understand the energy saving, but I'd need to do a helluva lot of cooking before out paid for itself, I think. 

Then as @Smiffy2 has said there's the cleaning

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Grizz said:

I so hope that she gets the support and recognition that she deserves. Without her actions to save and protect others without a thought for her own safety, it would have only ever likely been far worse. 

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm thinking this is the worst mass murder event here since Port Arthur in 1996 when 35 or more people were killed by a loser with a bag full of guns. . Following that  awful episode, Australia joined the sensible countries and banned Semi-automatics,  and introduced some other regulations concerning firearms. 

If we had not done that ( and it was a right wing PM who did it, in the face of stiff opposition from the farmers and other conservative groups, so hats off to him,,,) this bloke today would more than likely have  had an AR15 rather than a knife, and the body count would have been a multiple of what it was.   

That non-alternative fact won't prevent comments on US news coverage  sites of this  event saying stuff like "Thats what you get when you disarm your citizens!".  To them, I draw attention to the song I posted last night.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/229-early-risers/?do=findComment&comment=5486976

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

She asked Lemon or Lime? 

Lime??

That’s for making Mortar….or Plaster…..

Just what sort of Cake does Mrs Grizz make?

• Like 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Lime??

That’s for making Mortar….or Plaster…..

Just what sort of Cake does Mrs Grizz make?

🤣….you clearly have never tried a Lime drizzle cake then? 

Tell you what Rum drizzle is the boll*ks. It is like a giant Rum Barbar.

Also Weapons Grade Damson Gin drizzle cake is pretty dam good, it benefits from being stored in an air tight container in a dark cupboard to age a bit. 

Mrs Grizz’s Lemon Drizzle Cake will turn your eyes up at the corners, it is that good. 

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

56 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

image.png.d7ea8698de436b6c427f16d4328f7714.png

And.... it took me ages to find these  two   #($*(#@*)%   koalas and then to get them to sit still long enough to take the photo. It would have been much easier if I could have just done it in AI.

Hmmmmmm....   So why has the poor marsupial on the right got a flag stick growing out of the side of their head?  You should have stuck with AI....

59 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Hmmm, how differently the history of British maritime exploration may have been if back in 1768  or so the Admiralty  had gone "What ho, this Captain Cook bloke has some interesting and sensible theories about dealing with scurvy and what not,  but tell you what, I like the idea of this @polybearfellow running the show, I like the cut of his jib, so lets give him the gig, what!".

Given the stupidity of the 18th Century Admiralty, if Cook had indented for a quantity of lime, he would have ended up with carts of building materials queueing at the dockside!

• Agree 5
  • Funny 9

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hmmmmmm....   So why has the poor marsupial on the right got a flag stick growing out of the side of their head?  You should have stuck with AI....

yeah I think that it has a flag sticking out from behind its right ‘ear ol’ because….you’re defo not allowed to tattoo Koalas! 

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, polybear said:

p.s. Apparently this week is the 40th Anniversary of Tommy Cooper dying - Jeez, was it really that long ago?

Yes, those years seem to have gone by … just like that!

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, DaveF said:

However a number of drivers think that you have to straddle a white line on narrower roads. 

Bear does if the flooding/rain has been significant - it's not unknown for the force of water overflowing from a drain to lift the cover; not funny if you hit one of those.

11 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... AI: If we allow people to cheat then the people who don’t cheat see their work devalued ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/04/13/gp-visits-hs2-long-process-to-check-students-work/

Bear's buddy (also is/was our muddle engineering class instructor) tells us the Tutors at the College are using AI to mark the Student's work.....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear does if the flooding/rain has been significant - it's not unknown for the force of water overflowing from a drain to lift the cover; not funny if you hit one of those.

Bear's buddy (also is/was our muddle engineering class instructor) tells us the Tutors at the College are using AI to mark the Student's work.....

They were straddling it on the dry bits - but their cars are soooo wide and big and posh.

David

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

A curate's egg day, it started well enough, with postie being kind enough not to wake us up at silly o'clock for my parcel of shhh, you know whats. Most of the time he comes at 10.15-10.30 but Saturdays are different, maybe he aims to catch the sparrows yawning? Instead, it was left behind a bush, out of sight of casual passers-by. 

It sort of went downhill after breakfast, the second bathroom's outflow pump appears to be on strike and any waste from the washbasin, toilet and shower accumulates in the shower tray. Rattinfugginturdycurses I think is the phrase... 

And my sympathies to all those caught up in the Sydney aggression. I know there will always be some who seek to take their frustrations at life out on others but whatever happened to holding those responsible to account rather than inflicting pain on innocent third parties?  

However, the sun was out for much of the day and quite a bit of progress was made with G-word stuff. As my right shoulder and back will testify. Complaints have been submitted to the O/C... 

One garden trellis dismantled, a third of the parts will go towards a bird table (Heath Robinson style), another third will form surveying stakes for a garden project of mine involving large unmentionables and the remainder are for the tip. A pyracantha was pruned - it didn't like it and tried to fight back but Wabbit was wise to such tricks. No jumping up and down in the green bin on the cuttings though - 'Old Spikey' would probably have won that one. 

Time to catch up on other threads and see if anyone's had any good ideas re my conundrums. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear here…..

It seems that the Co-op sell Portuguese Custard Tarts as well (a quid each) - I wasn't tempted this time (purely as a scientific test you understand, having never tried one before) 

Oooooooooo did someone mention Custard?????

Mmmmmmmmmmm custard…..

Bear….you have sooooo got to try one……or two…..fudge it, as it is for scientific testing……take a round dozen….…..plus one spare….😂

Rule 2….you can NEVER have too much custard in your life! 

It would have been Rule 1….except getting custard on your layout doesn’t work…..take it from me! 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Smiffy2 said:

The one I have in France can be controlled from my phone. Why?

An alarm on your 'phone to tell you the cooking is done is useful. Other functions, not so much - though presumably you can download recipes to the machine and auto-set temperature and cooking time - perhaps even on a profile?

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. No gardening done today, I was told that a parcel that I was expecting to be delivered on Monday would be delivered today  and as I can't hear the door knocker in the garden I stayed indoors. It was delivered today so no complaints, I can do the gardening tomorrow. Dinner tonight was broccoli cheese, I was going to have some fresh figs for dessert but I decided it was too risky after the broccoli cheese.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Grizz said:

Without her actions to save and protect others without a thought for her own safety, it would have only ever likely been far worse. 

Were the attacker armed with an AR15 (or similar) it could have been inconceivably worse, with more casualties to shoppers and even the responding police officer - who was 'nearby' according to reports (as opposed to the large responding team that would have been sent after emergency calls came in).

Sadly the professional response of the police officer is the argument that supporters of concealed carry use to oppose gun control in the US.  They allege that this sort of civilian response led to the end of a mall shooting here in the Portland area in 2012:

During that time, Nick Meli, a concealed carry permit holder, drew his Glock 22, claimed to have taken aim at Roberts, but did not fire since there was a bystander behind Roberts. Meli claims that Roberts saw him and that this may have contributed to Roberts' decision to commit suicide.

I know someone with a connection to one of the victims.

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

That non-alternative fact won't prevent comments on US news coverage  sites of this  event saying stuff like "Thats what you get when you disarm your citizens!". 

It inevitably will because it is the conventional argument in support of concealed carry being that: "armed citizens can defend each other when someone behaves violently".

And the US news source most likely to include that sort of coverage is owned by Australians.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Oooooooooo did someone mention Custard?????

Mmmmmmmmmmm custard…..

Bear….you have sooooo got to try one……or two…..fudge it, as it is for scientific testing……take a round dozen….…..plus one spare….😂

Rule 2….you can NEVER have too much custard in your life! 

It would have been Rule 1….except getting custard on your layout doesn’t work…..take it from me! 

Hmmm........Beans n' Custard.....

You could be onto something there Grizz......

• Like 1
  • Funny 12