The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Along with the children that spun it in Blake's dark Satanic Mills.

Blakes "Dark Satanic Mills" were the Cathedrals and Parish Churches of the Established Church of England, echoing the mills of the Industrial Revolution.  He was a theist, hostile to the CofE...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blake

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Of course the quality of the interaction is far superior with an in-person interview. But when the interview team is not co-located and a successful candidate would be relocated to the work location (frequently requiring air travel and an overnight stay for the interview), using virtual video interviews is a no-brainer.

I imagine that it is 'easier' to conduct traditional in-person interviews in the UK where distances are less, though the stories I hear here about rail transport make me wonder how practical that is these days.

The issue is really about avoiding unconscious bias (or indeed, conscious bias) in interviews. Ideally an interview should be conducted in such a way that the interviewers are unaware of the candidate's identity in terms of protected characteristics such as gender, age, race, etc.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've got one already. I call it the wife 😂.

Dave

Rumour has it that certain models can be (a) very expensive, (b) temperamental, (c) liable to play up at a moment's notice - or indeed any combination of the above.  Sounds tricky to this Bear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, polybear said:
12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've got one already. I call it the wife 😂.

Dave

Rumour has it that certain models can be (a) very expensive, (b) temperamental, (c) liable to play up at a moment's notice - or indeed any combination of the above

Confused of Clapham here.  

Well not Clapham any more but hey.  

Models that are very expensive, play up and are temperamental can be of more than one species.  I jettisoned the good-looking one with curves, moods and an on-off love affair with anyone who might pay her some attention.  I retained the one which says "Lima" stamped on its bottom, looks good but has always been temperamental and liable to play up.  Just to avoid confusion the one with curves etc. did not have "Lima" stamped on her bottom although she did have a pretty picture stamped beneath the wrappers on the front and it wasn't tampo-printed! 

• Like 5
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

The pay on offer for many UK based positions wouldn't be bad if tax was less and cost of living lower. And pay has been distorted by government benefits to subsidize industry by trying to top up people's income to something which is liveable. That doesn't just affect low pay, low skilled jobs, an awful lot of skilled and professional staff qualify for various benefits. The canard about people asking for lower annual pay rises to avoid crossing thresholds whereby they'd lose benefits isn't an urban myth, I had a few people quietly request it when I had people managing responsibilities.  Which is properly messed up in my view, not the individuals who were acting in a rational way but a screwed up system.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bak kut teh for dinner tonight, a hot and sour pork rib soup. To be honest it's not my favourite SE Asian dish but Mrs JJB is a great enthusiast of it and made it today.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Absolutely.

Dr. SWMBO had been in an AI workshop yesterday and demonstrated some of the capabilities to me last night.  She could not get the Pi app to recognise her voice nor to speak to her but it did respond to text and produced some credible output in response to her input.  Then there was another which "writes" music; she asked it for a "1980s power ballad theme song" including several key words.  Almost instantly out came something which sounded a lot like a Starship track and included not only the key words she asked for but key phrases she uses at work that were not included in the request.  

So who is spying on whom and why?  "They" already know a great deal about us but that does not mean they have our consent to hold nor to use that information.  In the UK GDPR provisions apply.  You can bet these apps are not UK-based though they can in some circumstances be governed by UK law.  

Humans are not being made redundant by AI.  

I am very wary of it.  I haven't knowingly given any information away specifically to any AI platform.  I feel AI sits firmly in the camp of "Just because we can doesn't always make it right".  

Most companies are fully aware of the dangers of AI LLM using personal or sensitive data for training the models so take steps to obtain locked copies of the LLM that sit within firewalls so the main source LLM cannot train of it.  Companies who want to consume AI products want to be sure their data is safe and those selling reputable AI products who know that security of data is paramount and have to invest in locked LLM models that will not be training other LLMs using someone else's data.

In terms of redundancy, the scary bit is that most CEO and senior people think they can dispose of developers as the LLM will be able to do that job instead and make no bones about it, which is great for me listening to senior leaders in my company talking about this in front of me.  The talk is all about enriching everyone else's work experience not redundancy, but really it comes down to doing more with less people, they just don't talk about 'automation' in the same language anymore but it's still the same.

Microsoft is now promoting a product that will actually replace the developer, manna from heaven for any CEO, but the question then comes what happens when the LLM/AI develops it's own language to do stuff because it's more efficient and the few developers left cannot fathom how it does stuff - i.e. who fixes it when it breaks.

There are some good uses for LLM/AI, not going to deny it, but to make out it is going to do everything and our lives are going to be so enriched is typical bluster.  The one thing I learnt recently and this is from an LLM/AI guru - don't trust the output, you need to check everything, and how do you do that, you have to check that it's references are real because LLM/AI make things up to justify their findings - really it makes stuff up.  We are doomed!!!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Getting my stuff together for the hospital trip this afternoon. First of all I will have to book a taxi and specify an easy access as I have difficulty getting in and out of ordinary cars. First I will have to get the rollalong out of the car.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

We were on holiday in Tenerife when a company rep said how she disliked men referring to their spouse as "the wife". So I said I would never dream of calling our lass "the wife". I kept a straight face.

You may have to be northern to understand this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Most companies are fully aware of the dangers of AI LLM using personal or sensitive data for training the models so take steps to obtain locked copies of the LLM that sit within firewalls so the main source LLM cannot train of it.  Companies who want to consume AI products want to be sure their data is safe and those selling reputable AI products who know that security of data is paramount and have to invest in locked LLM models that will not be training other LLMs using someone else's data.

In terms of redundancy, the scary bit is that most CEO and senior people think they can dispose of developers as the LLM will be able to do that job instead and make no bones about it, which is great for me listening to senior leaders in my company talking about this in front of me.  The talk is all about enriching everyone else's work experience not redundancy, but really it comes down to doing more with less people, they just don't talk about 'automation' in the same language anymore but it's still the same.

Microsoft is now promoting a product that will actually replace the developer, manna from heaven for any CEO, but the question then comes what happens when the LLM/AI develops it's own language to do stuff because it's more efficient and the few developers left cannot fathom how it does stuff - i.e. who fixes it when it breaks.

There are some good uses for LLM/AI, not going to deny it, but to make out it is going to do everything and our lives are going to be so enriched is typical bluster.  The one thing I learnt recently and this is from an LLM/AI guru - don't trust the output, you need to check everything, and how do you do that, you have to check that it's references are real because LLM/AI make things up to justify their findings - really it makes stuff up.  We are doomed!!!

What pray is LLM

Confused of Saleignes. 

Jamie

8 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

We were on holiday in Tenerife when a company rep said how she disliked men referring to their spouse as "the wife". So I said I would never dream of calling our lass "the wife". I kept a straight face.

You may have to be northern to understand this.

That's a personal hate of the boss that I dare not use. 

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

My success with the NY Times Wordl continues, 7th successive 'win' and this time on the third attempt.

Er, wot's a "Wordl".....?

@PupCam Puppeeeeeeerzzzzzz..........

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

What pray is LLM

Confused of Saleignes. 

Large Language Model - what AI is apparently. 

Actually it's not, it just a bloody clever guess the next word in the sequence model.

They call it AI so lay people think it is, but it isn't.  The LLM cannot think for itself, cannot decide for itself, it's all built on rules.  But what it does do is learn, it does guess the next word well and it can draw things, it can also find a needle in a haystack.

True AI is a self thinking machine that makes it's own decisions, so far we haven't been presented with any true AI, or at least we don't think we have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4