Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

She also delivered a packet of Tim Tams, they just look like UK Penguin biscuits, but I haven't had a nibble of one yet.

The ultimate  taste  test  ( a kind of taste test Ashes) would be to compare this with the Marmite Penguin.

image.png.8c1c88db38fc29b26044baaa934316b5.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

The ultimate  taste  test  ( a kind of taste test Ashes) would be to compare this with the Marmite Penguin.

image.png.8c1c88db38fc29b26044baaa934316b5.png

Wouldn't touch such stuff with yours, let alone a bargepole!

Marmite chocolate* has been tried here. Once tasted** 🤢 , never again... 🤮

* A waste of good chocolate, though I expect TimTam is covered in "chocolate flavoured" confectionery, so thats ok.

** It took a lot of frantic toothbrushing with strong mint toothpaste plus a number of rinses with Corsodyl to get the taste out of my mouth!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I've heard it said that criticising Tim tams is al.ost as bad as criticising meat pies😲🤣

It is.  And in some states it remains a capital offence.  Same as barracking for supporting Collingwood 😉🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I've heard it said that criticising Tim tams is al.ost as bad as criticising meat pies😲🤣

Anyone can criticise all they like, its not like we are going to listen or anything......

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

I don't eat biscuits, being diabetic, but will have a nibble of the TimTam to see.  As I don't much like Penguins anyway (from pre-diabetes days) I can't see it as a life changing experience!

I do like Marmite and can suffer Vegemite if I have to, but not by choice - we have family in New Zealand and they won't buy Marmite.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The king of biscuits (other than the Carr's water biscuit and orange club obviously) is the Lotte Binch, if you see Lotte Binch on sale I recommend them.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The king of biscuits (other than the Carr's water biscuit and orange club obviously) is the Lotte Binch, if you see Lotte Binch on sale I recommend them.

Nah- either Choco-Leibnitz, or M&S Extremely Chocolatey Rings.  All verboten now 😇

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

The one thing in Kiwi that was way better than the UK version (weather too, but foodstuffs at the moment!) is the Moro bar - like a Mars bar, but maltier and very yummy. #sigh#

• Like 12

I’ve developed quite a taste for the matcha KitKat bars. Not sure how available they are in the UK, but they are all over the place in south east Asia. My go-to biscuit at the moment.

IMG_0621.jpeg.c5f974497d6d3eefd683263d88dac718.jpeg

I’m afraid that I am an evil Marmite hater…

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

echoing the mills of the Industrial Revolution

That bit I understood - I missed the other inference. Thank you.

I'm not sure "Theist" is the most complete description for Blake. Perhaps "Deist"? He seems tricky to define taxonomically. "Not a fan of organized religion" is apt. The Wikipedia page leads to Marcionite. That's new to me.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here.....

A bits n' pieces day; I did manage to gather together all the bits (that I can find.....) for Harry the Honda - there's a cabinet in the shed that may have one or two odd bits as well.  The last MoT is being elusive though - but as it expired 20-odd years ago I'm none too worried.  Getting the Exhaust System out of the loft was "interesting" - but it's now in the muddlin' room awaiting a polish; I think I'll postpone getting Harry out of the shed again until Sunday and concentrate on the Exhaust instead - I also need to hacksaw the old Silencers off the downpipes at some point as well 😱, ready to clamp the new and rather shiny replacement Silencers on in their place.  It'll definitely be a case of "Measure fifty times, stop, ponder, measure again and then pray to The Great Cake Bear before going for it" - screw that job up and Bear will be in Poo soooooo deep that not even the bravest Hippo could rescue me.

I've been expecting a delivery this afternoon - a new Battery** for Harry; I just knew the guy would appear just as soon as I went up into the Loft - and I wasn't wrong.  Fortunately I heard the sound of screeching DPD Van tyres followed by the sound of the front gate being opened so I was on the way as the doorbell rang.

(**Note to Fraggles - it's yellow..... 😉)

ION........

Marmite flavour choccy bikkies?  No thanks - that's just weird (and that comes from a Bear that has pretty much lived his life on Toast & Marmite - and will continue to do so until I'm in a box.  Vegemite?  Never tried it.

As for Penguins, well I'd rather have a minty flavour Yo-Yo choccy bikky anyday.

Bear gone....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 5

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Large Language Model - what AI is apparently. 

No - Large Language Models are one branch of Artificial Intelligence. The terms are not equivalent.

Large Language Models are used to comprehend natural language input. They are also part of generative AI that can compose in natural language such that it is not gibberish.

Is the ability to lean to read and speak a foreign language a measure of intelligence?

It is more than syntax and rules and the state of contemporary LLMs have surpassed that. Is what LLM-based, generative AI creates derivative? Yes. Arguably so is every time we wish someone "Good Morning". It is something we were taught.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The ultimate  taste  test

I like Tim Tams (dark chocolate mint please). I like Vegemite - actually had some this morning.

Vegemite Tim Tams look disgusting.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

No - Large Language Models are one branch of Artificial Intelligence. The terms are not equivalent.

I didn't call LLM AI, I made a statement and followed it up with why an LLM is not AI.

They are a sophisticated guess the next word model, that is very good at what it does, but it is not sentient.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

It'll definitely be a case of "Measure fifty times, stop, ponder, measure again and then pray to The Great Cake Bear before going for it" - screw that job up and Bear will be in Poo soooooo deep that not even the bravest Hippo could rescue me.

Note from Fraggite long term multiple motorcycle owner  - don't cut them to accurate (allegedly) length off the bike , cut them down maybe, but mount the pipes up and hang the silencers and see where bolt holes come - the newies will NOT be in the same place, guaranteed!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

They are a sophisticated guess the next word model, that is very good at what it does, but it is not sentient.

No - it's not "sentient".

And LLM generative AI is much more capable than "guessing the next word". Generative AI programs have passed the bar exam.

Now of course passing the bar exam requires a lot of rote learning and somewhat formulaic responses based on learning precedent. LLM-based generative AI is good at that sort of thing.

"Artificial Intelligence" does not have to be sentient. That may be your definition, but it is not how the term is used.

The "Turing Test" aka Imitation Game (essentially the "duck" test*) was the "standard" for Artificial Intelligence. I would suggest the state of the technology is pretty close to that.

* If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, polybear said:

Yo-Yo choccy bikky

I don’t think I have seen a Yo-Yo biscuit  for about half a century. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2