Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, pH said:

When you know the real geography, it can lead to amusing  combinations of places on film. Like a car chase through downtown streets, where turning a corner brings the vehicles onto the apron of a ferry terminal about 25 miles south of there. Or an actor walking out of the door of a lodge on to an ocean beach, the lodge being landlocked, about 7 miles from the nearest salt water and over 20 miles from the ocean.

An enjoyable “extra” while watching ‘The X Files’ or ‘MacGyver’ was trying to identify the minor locations.

Watching films shot round where I grew up is the same.  There is a shot in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves where, IIRC, Robin is hiding in a cave. The view in one direction was next to Barden Tower in Wharfedale,from the other direction it was near Fountains Abbey. 

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

But you've forgotten the thing that makes it a healthy option!    Where are the grilled tomatoes?

Bear seems to recall that iD is, well, a bit of a pussy when it comes to tommies - yet scorns that most wonderful of scoff, namely Baked Beans.

12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I also bought another gallon (I suppose it's actually 5L) can of Classic Oil for the the bikes.  

In Bear's recent experience that 5L might actually be 4L; 4L of 10W/40 Mineral Oil for Harry cost THIRTY F. QUID ......🤯 - so that'll be £37.50 for 5L.  Jeez.

ION......

Bear's lug'oles lowered, new sweeties collected from the Chemist and a minor raid on the Co-op all completed.  Tick.

And finally.....

I see Boeing are in the Poo AGAIN - this time it's the 787 Dreamliner.....

BG

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Just two words on salted butter*: essential hypertension.

The average person in the UK consumes about 8.1g salt a day. Various health organisations recommend no more than 2.3g of it/day.

A quick Google suggests:

For adults, WHO recommends less than 2000 mg/day of sodium (equivalent to less than 5 g/day salt (just under a teaspoon).

Whilst the BHF says:

The recommended daily salt intake for adults is less than 6 grams of salt per day. 6 grams of salt is about one level teaspoon.

Now Bear has just worked out the salt intake for (a) what I've scoffed today, and (b) what I intend to scoff today and the result is:  3.141g.

- so I guess Poly is, well, healthier than yer average Bear.....🤣

(and no, I didn't cheat either 😇)

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear seems to recall that iD is, well, a bit of a pussy when it comes to tommies - yet scorns that most wonderful of scoff, namely Baked Beans.

Tomatoes, outside of the really flavourful ones it seems you can only get in Italy, are only fit to be used as one ingredient amongst many others in a dish. Proper vine ripened non-acquaculture produced Italian tomatoes - such as San Marzano - are rather good with some seasoning, some local cheese and some fresh bread ("proper" bread that is). Grilling such wonderful tomatoes would be a sacrilege.

As for Baked Beans, I quite enjoy some proper Boston Baked Bean made with fatback pork and molasses, it's the ghastly tinned stuff in the flavourless, watery, (supposedly) tomato sauce I object to.

Once you've had proper slow-cooked homemade from scratch Boston Baked beans made with onions, fatback pork, dark molasses, aromatic vegetables, herbs such as rosemary or sage, and a splash of  cider vinegar, you'll never go back to the tinned stuff - even the expensive stuff that costs £1.40/tin

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Added salt?  Only on Chippie Chips

America prides itself on being the most desirable country in the world to live in, and thats born out by the stats - the US has a net gain in immigration from every country in the world................. except one.

Screenshot(315).png.2f9684bfe2e04b57d308c352fcb9a4f9.png

https://cf.datawrapper.de/dduui/2/

Thats because we have two unique things that makes everywhere else far less desirable for us in comparison:

Australian Rules football and Chicken salt on our chips!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2024 at 08:52, Gwiwer said:

We came across a family of parents-plus-seven children whilst in the employment of a membership-based organisation. 

As they arrived and presented themselves at reception father made sure they all lined up correctly - Von Trapp style - in descending order of height. 

One thing which struck me was that both parents and all children were blue-eyed blondes. Another was that the children were named alphabetically with the eldest’s starting with A then B and so on 

Neighbours of ours have two children: Alfie and Zoe. Clearly a statement being made there!

• Like 6
  • Funny 12

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't use salted butter.

What about Eta then - or did you leave here pre Rita the Eta Eater?!

(Obscure 1980's Australian advertising reference - UK types can  feel free to ignore!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Did alright till you got to the avocado aka green putty

Giving them away here at the moment, its the time in the season where Haas Avocadoes are making way for Shepard's so there's both kinds - 3 for a dollar (3 for 50p) equivalent in the fruit shop today.

. Bursts the balloon of those "The only reason young people cant afford a house is because they are always buying avocado on toast" types. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, polybear said:

so I guess Poly is, well, healthier than yer average Bear...

I looked up some international salt consumption results. UK is nearer the bottom than the top. Lowest in Western Europe and only Ukraine is lower in all Europe. Every country(worldwide) has higher (some only slightly higher though) than recommended levels. 

3/4 of a teaspoon of salt goes in our bread machine loaves. It doesn’t get eaten by one person in a day anyway. I do add a hint of salt to chips. I don’t like unsalted butter on sandwiches so we have salted butter but it is from happy cows. 

I was telephoned by the GP surgery this morning and have been to a blood test form. This one is for routine diabetes monitoring. Collected and booked. Aditi asked me to buy a baguette and some ice cream on the way home. The baguette, as we have some French cheese for lunch and she thought the baguette might be better with it than the homemade loaf. The current one is rye so perhaps not. The cheese is Pié d’Angloys and it has a rind rather than a pastry top and bottom. I think the ice cream is to go with a rhubarb crumble. The rhubarb was the last of our garden rhubarb frozen last year. Aditi uprooted the crown as it was well past its best. It will be replaced I believe, but the former rhubarb patch is now full of wallflowers. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, polybear said:

the feet

Well Roy Erskine Bear [God Rest His Soul] has done a full seventy eight point inspection and notes that all the springy and wobbly bits are within spec. There is a degree of sloppiness within the lower appendages so it might be a touch of Moortens Aroma.

Roy Erskine Bear 1.jpg

Roy Erskine Bear 2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst Bear fully respects those who are not keen on the idea of "a quick drop" for those nastiest of scrotes, I do suspect they might be prepared to make a few exceptions....

WARNING:  The BBC headlines are bad enough - the detail defies belief - especially as they are women.  Consider yourself warned.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-68968718

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I'm definitely in the "slow roast" camp - although I haven't quite made my mind up about any of the other approaches - all seem to have their pros and cons.

The best pork crackling I've ever had was on the Cook Islands, there was an eating place ("restaurant"  is too grand!) on the beach where they cooked half a pig in the sand. 

If I ever go back to somewhere I've been before it'll be the Cook Islands - 5 stars!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, polybear said:

Whilst Bear fully respects those who are not keen on the idea of "a quick drop" for those nastiest of scrotes, I do suspect they might be prepared to make a few exceptions....

WARNING:  The BBC headlines are bad enough - the detail defies belief - especially as they are women.  Consider yourself warned.....

The caption under the photo of the  baby monkey - "The monkey torture community began life on youtube..."  p!sses me off just as much. Try and upload a video to youtube  that contains even a snatch of copyrighted music and you'll be prevented - I was trying to upload a 30 second video of Buttons the Budgie headbanging to Highway To Hell by ACDC but youtube blocked it on copyright grounds.

But  - if you have a video of some baby monkey being lit with a cigarette lighter or whatever  its  "no f#**en' worries mate!" - just as long as you don't try adding a soundtrack of  "Light My Fire" by the Doors.

They are just as culpable in my book, the ar5eholes.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 13
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

There's some really sick people around, I hope she has a not so nice time inside, and when she comes out.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Now Bear has just worked out the salt intake for (a) what I've scoffed today, and (b) what I intend to scoff today and the result is:  3.141g.

-

Beware the hidden salt.

Just as an example for a ready to cook pizza

They give you the salt they have added and declare the quantity.

They tell you that they have added cheese - the cheese contains salt but is not declared.

They tell you they have added some cured meat (ham/chorizo/salami etc.) these all have salt but is not declared

They tell you they have used tomato paste which may or may not contain salt but if so it is not declared.
They tell you about the olives they added but not the salt used in the brining and remaining in the olives.

and so on

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

I myself add huge quantities of salt to everything I eat, it's the secret of keeping my cardiovascular system in tip top shape. It's like a finely tuned F1 engine, my doctor complemented me that he had never seen such high blood pressure. Being the person I am I always strive to do better though💪

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

I just did that thing of bidding on an item on an on-line auction, then wondering whether it was sensible and ending up winning, oh dear..... Still, it's a nice item, a JR EF64-1000 by Endo and it was a good price.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land.

There's some really sick people around, I hope she has a not so nice time inside, and when she comes out.

I’d like to see them treated the same as the poor innocent little animals that were horribly tortured for the sadistic scrotes’ sick pleasure. 

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Ben's sample deposited, more shopping done.

The morning started sunny, but a sea harr came in, it's been chilly and dull ever since.

So the fires been cleaned out, it seems the stove has no major damage. Just a couple of seals weren't happy, so that's been sorted. Shortly I'll put a light fire in and start warming it up.

Spinny thing investigated , it stopped working again, but this time permanently, that allowed me to find the former intermittent fault. Broken wire soldered and sleeved.

With it whirring again, that allowed me to start setting the machine up again.

Then I had to return to the house just in case the vet phones, as swmbo was off out weaving, ..

Spent an hour and a half, sorting magazines into piles keep, burn, and see if anyone wants them.

Been searching for a new driveway gate, the current one won't last another year. Not looking forward to digging out the old posts , they are both hard up by walls, there's no other choice.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

46 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I’d like to see them treated the same as the poor innocent little animals that were horribly tortured for the sadistic scrotes’ sick pleasure. 

Dave

Some of the most violent and sadistic sods in prison appear to have a soft spot for cuddly animals.  I suspect the baby monkeys fall into this category, and provided they get hold of the information about the sadistic scrotes*, then when they are banged up, there will be some sort of extra-curricular punishment.

* Good mugshots and names on the telly and on line (BBC website) will do.  They'll probably get bitter full page denunciations in the more vitriolic tabloid press too.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Beware the hidden salt.

Just as an example for a ready to cook pizza

They give you the salt they have added and declare the quantity.

They tell you that they have added cheese - the cheese contains salt but is not declared.

They tell you they have added some cured meat (ham/chorizo/salami etc.) these all have salt but is not declared

They tell you they have used tomato paste which may or may not contain salt but if so it is not declared.
They tell you about the olives they added but not the salt used in the brining and remaining in the olives.

and so on

Beary thought:

If you're into buying one of iD's much favoured Artisinal Loaves** from a posh bakers then how do you know just how much salt etc etc. is in the thing?

**The sort that comes wrapped in tissue paper and costs a fiver,,,,

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 minute ago, polybear said:

**The sort that comes wrapped in tissue paper and costs a fiver,,,,

And how much salt is in the tissue paper? 🤔 🤪

• Funny 13