The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here....

Today's first mission was to help buddy over the road to drop a 20ft high tree - it was a regrowth from the stump of a much bigger predecessor that was dropped many moons ago.  It was rather close to a neighbours bluddygreatshed, as well as his fence so buddy pulled on the rope whilst Bear had to fight his way though the Jungle (literally) to get to it to cut it.  We started at nine cos' rain was forecast at ten....and it turns up at half nine.....Turdycurses.

Well wottabitchofajob that was.....mucho saw saw saw pant pant pant saw saw saw pant pant pant......

Result?  Well it's down, in various bits and the shed n' fence are intact, so that's a Tick.  Bear?  Rather soggy indeed - both from the Sky Wee Wee and the calories (lots) burned in the process.  So at 10am Bear was having a wallow, even though I'd wallowed yesterday evening.

Still, mucho Brownie Points earnt in the process - and as Buddy has helped Bear out more times than I can remember (he's my helper for gettin' Harry the Honda in n' out of the shed) it's all fair's fair in this Bear's Book.

Now?  Din Dins time 😁

BG

You should have given me a call, in the shed are two chainsaws.  I think I've told you that we do have a shed that doubles as a Garage. 

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

I might be accused of disrespect but if that were me I'd just bag it in the usual black sacks and bin it for collection.  Cost already prepaid with the Council Tax bill.  A decent pair of gloves would ensure no actual contact between the deceased and the remover.  

Perhaps I'm missing something but whats wrong with just digging a hole and  burying them ?

Unless  there is some arcane law from 1456 or whatever  that prevents the disposal of the Crowns Foxes without first  summoning the Royal Fox Removerer or something?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just to cheer our Irish Sea correspondent up the sun is shining here in the vast metropolis of Manutopea.

That’s good; Kent are doing pretty well at Old Trafford. They could do with a win!

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I spent the morning at Pasir Panjang container terminal with one of my paymasters who paint their ships pink. Pair Panjang is the main container terminal for Singapore, and is only outdone by Yangshan (the deepwater container port for Shanghai). Always good to see the real business of shipping, Pasir Panjang has over 40 berths, quite a few of which take ultra-large container carriers, the biggest box boats afloat. The terminal is highly automated and runs like a Swiss watch, deeply impressive. That said, if Pasir Panjang makes other container ports look a bit toy town-ish then Yangshan makes Pasir Panjang look toy town. Yangshan is one of those places which is difficult to appreciate with visiting, the scale is staggering even for people familiar with big container terminals.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Sadly it won’t be much longer and even the cost of this private service will be going through the roof as rat poison is due to be completely banned in the UK. 

https://www.nfuonline.com/updates-and-information/withdrawal-of-authorisation-for-rodenticides-used-in-open-spaces/#:~:text=Legal authorisation for the use,Use UK%2C supported by HSE.

Having had leptospirosis and been extremely ill with it for weeks, I’m just hoping that the bean munchers behind this get a dose of it as well. 

What about using rodenticides that use Warfarin, Coumatetralyl, Diphacinone etc? We have similar problems with  native owls and raptors eating poisoned rats and mice but there is a new generation of off the shelf effective rodenticides that don't harm birds. 

And we KNOW rodent problems!

image.png.63411fd1beade3600ae236ddfb533739.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

spent the morning at Pasir Panjang container terminal with one of my paymasters who paint their ships pink.

I used to work with an ex-RAAFie who'd spent his time in P3 Orions doing anti -sub patrols and  search and rescues in the Great Southern Ocean.

His retirement plan was to buy a boat and sail up the Eastern coast and around the  Coral Sea, but he only wanted a pink one or a yellow one.

He'd spent far too many hours combing stormy white-capped waves trying to spot  a white -hulled yacht   that had maydayed in a distress signal  and if the worst came to the worst he wanted to make the RAAF's job easier.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Cost already prepaid with the Council Tax bill.

I suspect Phil’s Basildon waste collection is the same as our neighbouring district. Dead animals specifically excluded from being put in domestic rubbish. £135 lot cheaper than a fine. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Perhaps I'm missing something but whats wrong with just digging a hole and  burying them ?

The other wildlife will dig them up again, especially as they start to decompose. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There was research which found pink much easier to identify from the air than orange, which is the standard colour for immersion suits, life jackets, lifeboats etc. The rational thing to have done would be to do further research with a view to deciding whether life saving equipment should change from orange to pink but it never seemed to go anywhere despite the initial research being generally accepted as valid.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I suspect Phil’s Basildon waste collection is the same as our neighbouring district. Dead animals specifically excluded from being put in domestic rubbish. £135 lot cheaper than a fine. 

You'd be amazed what you can disguise and get rid of in a Wheelie Bin.  Allegedly.....😇

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

The other wildlife will dig them up again, especially as they start to decompose. 

You need to clamp down on the reasons for that - mainly supplying vets with a ready supply of bodies!

image.png.aa1676996653dd965aa10f40c5c47f8d.png

(Early AI from 1836 - included here solely for historical purposes) 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

There was research which found pink much easier to identify from the air than orange, which is the standard colour for immersion suits, life jackets, lifeboats etc. The rational thing to have done would be to do further research with a view to deciding whether life saving equipment should change from orange to pink but it never seemed to go anywhere despite the initial research being generally accepted as valid.

To my son and his grandfather pink, pale green, and silver grey were all one colour. Though perhaps people with multiple colour vision deficiencies wouldn’t be first choice for searching for survival gear.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I'm pretty sure mine comes from pigs , but hey , whatever floats your boat , or flies your plane .

Two comments here. Firstly make certain someone isn't telling you porkies - get it yes I know but you have to try; and secondary, don't get caught.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago A smelly dead fox was found in our garage,  it was removed with a shovel and dumped in the  field boundary jungle behind our garage.

Afternoon Awl,

To MRC, as most others hadn't arrived yet, three pieces of wood were cut to support the sink / cupboard.

Some time was then spent discussing the accounts.  Once the changes I'd thought of were included and another couple of minor hiccups were removed that someone else spotted, , we were down to £7.28, that too was resolved. And the sums now add up.

I've mostly carried forward the changes into next year's spreadsheets. Some had already disappeared from that as I've reformatted the way they work to make it easier to produce each quarterly meetings results.

I got back as swmbo was opening the back door to let herself and Ben back in from the long patrol.

I've just spent an hour and a half mowing, but there's only so much sitting in the seat of the mower I can do.. it's quite warm out there too.

The neighbour is extending the boundary wall between us towards the front. That will be good as Ben has found the gap  a short cut to next door and he knows where their doggy sweety cupboard is..

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You need to clamp down on the reasons for that - mainly supplying vets with a ready supply of bodies!

If you have a pet euthanised and plan to bury it in the garden, your vet will hopefully give advice on how deep to dig. We got advice for the small furry pets.  The vet said to me (out of hearing of child) that waking up next morning to the remains of Fluffy the bunny on the patio wasn’t a good thing, sounding deep and cover with bricks or a bit of slab. With the euthanised pet rat there was another piece of advice. Surprisingly it takes quite a large dose of the drug used and if the corpse was dug up it could do some harm to a fox.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

if the corpse was dug up it could do some harm to a fox.

Got to say, I'm not seeing a downside with that... 

No doubt foxes are very  cute up there in Wind In The Willows Land  but they have no place here:

The 300 million native animals that foxes kill every year consists of: reptiles:

foxes kill 88 million reptiles each year, and all are native. They've been recorded killing 108 different species – or 11% of all Australian reptile species – including the tjakura (great desert skink) and loggerhead turtle.

This research, the first to quantify the national impact of foxes on Australian wildlife, also compares the results to similar studies on cats. And we found foxes and cats collectively kill 2.6 billion mammals, birds and reptiles every year.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Grizz said:

as rat poison is due to be completely banned in the UK. 

The quote in your post mentions withdrawal,of approval for two rodenticides in open spaces not associated with buildings. Is there another quote about complete banning?

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I might be accused of disrespect but if that were me I'd just bag it in the usual black sacks and bin it for collection.  Cost already prepaid with the Council Tax bill.  A decent pair of gloves would ensure no actual contact between the deceased and the remover.  

The problem was that it had been dead for quite some time and the corpse disintegrated when the disposal guy picked it up. As for burying it the garden is too small and have you ever tried digging a hole deep enough in Essex clay?

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I saw an item the other day about what is the healthiest human diet. It turned out to be a piscean diet, omnivore but eating only fish and no other meats. Second is a tie between vegetarian and omnivore depending on the type of omnivore diet. An @iL Dottore diet is healthier than a vegetarian diet but a @polybear diet is less healthy. Worst of all is a vegan diet where there is too much ultra processed food, it would even make a @polybear diet look healthy.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Just watched a Russell Crowe film on the Big River Channel:

"Land of Bad"

- a US Special Forces jobbie (so lots of bullets n' missiles) with drones thrown in for good measure; truly excellent - and much better than the usual cr@p.

Beary recommended.

BG

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, polybear said:

You'd be amazed what you can disguise and get rid of in a Wheelie Bin.  Allegedly.....😇

I know! 😁🤣😈

Captain Cynical

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't there a video clip that went viral some years ago of a woman putting a neighbour's cat into a wheelie bin?

Dave

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Wasn't there a video clip that went viral some years ago of a woman putting a neighbour's cat into a wheelie bin?

Dave

If Bear had a puddy tat and a neighbour did that then they'd sure as hell live to regret it 🤬

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

From 2010

"One inexplicable moment of cruelty when Mary Bale seized a cat and dropped it into a wheelie bin was punished with a modest £250 fine today. But the 45-year-old former bank worker may pay the price for her impulsive act for the rest of her life."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/19/cat-bin-woman-mary-bale#:~:text=One inexplicable moment of cruelty,the rest of her life.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, polybear said:

and much better than the usual cr@p

I watched the motor racing from Miami yesterday and one episode of an Australian police series set in Tasmania. Probably not aimed at the “Bluey” target audience. Some of the US TV series we have watched recently seem to be filmed anywhere other than the state they are purporting to represent. I think the Australian show is filmed in Tasmania where it is set.  Matthew went there for a long weekend from Melbourne, it was cold and rained. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1