The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Going back in my family one couple had 24 surviving children out of 26 births an incredible success rate for a mining family.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

We don't need airborne weapons to wipe out furrin super criminals, we can just use Donk's super over-the-horizon supper-zapper weapon.  It certainly sorted out his mountain eyrie last time we used it.

P1010543(Medium).JPG.6040e0c7d237a0975e63764a5ff6cb5d.JPG

And whose side are you and Donk on, NHN?

How soon you forgot all the good things iD and CC have provided you and Donk with in the past, such as:

• Preferred CCI GmbH provider: Donk Financial Services (CCI GmbH offshore “money management” partner: New Haven Neil Head of Laundry)
  • The profitable business agreement that saw the creation of CaptainDonk LLC.  A Captain Cynical Industries GmbH (Switzerland) and Donk Services PLC (IoM) joint venture.
  • The promotion of Donkism and acknowledgement of NHN as the one true High Priest or DONK of The Royal Ramsey Enclave of The Sage and Venerable Priest Warriors of Donk,
  • The offer, as Visiting Emeritus Professor of Donk Medicine at UCL, to evaluate MrsD (aka Dronk) for the early stages of polybearism.

As Shakespeare would have put it: How sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is to have a thankless Donk (King Lear of The Isle of Man [from the “lost” folio])

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is not unusual even today to have more than a decade between siblings. It is quite common with remarriages.

My maternal great grandparents had. thirteen children between  1871 and 1891, the youngest being my grandmother. Of those, four died in infancy.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

17 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Going back in my family one couple had 24 surviving children out of 26 births an incredible success rate for a mining family.

Blimey, unless a plethora of twins and triplets were born the average duration of gestation (9mos) meant that he missus was permanently pregnant for the best part of 20 years.

Shades of the sketch in Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Blimey, unless a plethora of twins and triplets were born the average duration of gestation (9mos) meant that he missus was permanently pregnant for the best part of 20 years.

Only a couple of pairs of twins.. both parents died soon after the last birth. The oldest children ended up adopting the youngest. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PupCam said:

But you forget that both Poly and I still have contacts and can get them at "Mates Rates".      We also know an old Fly-Boy who, for a modest consideration I'm sure, would be prepared, nay positively enjoy, loosing a few off "for old times sake".     I wonder if we could borrow the Hawker Hunter at Henlow for the sortie?   Oh no, I've just thought, the particular devices I was  thinking off were never integrated onto the Hunter so  Fly-Boy will have to use something a bit more modern.  Well, I'm sure he's still got contacts ...... 😬

Unfortunately, Puppers, I have a contract with CC Industrie to provide AD cover when the redoubt is threatened. Since I am an honourable sort of bloke I couldn't possibly renege on that deal; well, not unless an offer was made that I couldn't refuse that is. Offers should be sent on signed but otherwise uncompleted cheques to Hunt Towers.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

On the other hand, I have a photo of my maternal grandmother, aged 17, holding her baby sister, aged 17 weeks.  Nowadays, such a juxtaposition would be "Mother and child"....

Bil is 20years younger than SWMBO. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

If you drive past the water tower where Vicarage Hill and Essex Way join, strange things happen to radios. It has a lot of aerials!

I have done many times without any effects but your mentioning that reminded me that there is a communications tower in Rayleigh.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is not unusual even today to have more than a decade between siblings. It is quite common with remarriages.

An ex-work colleague of Jill's has three offspring aged 48, 37 and 26.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Got the ages wrong by 10 years
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

These are the classic Weird Al compositions, accompanied by piano accordion as original parodies of songs of the day like "My Bologna" (parody of My Sharona by the Knack). Songs like "Eat it" were a little later and came with a music video, as did "Like a Surgeon" because that had to be done in the 1980s.

I used to listen to the Dr. Demento Radio show - where Weird Al got his break. Weird Al and Tom Lehrer were regulars in his rotation.

Was in a cafe last week and Joan Jets ‘I love Rock and Roll’ can on the radio and couldn’t help thinking of Weird Al ‘ I love Rocky Road’

And just for good measure 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

7 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Joan Jets ‘I love Rock and Roll’

The red scarf and the leather jacket in the video are a great nod to Joan Jett. This is from her "I love rock n' roll" video.

image.png.e360ad92f0e0ee1e013bfea9dd8c1227.png

Her "I hate myself for loving you" was covered for the opening of Sunday Night Football - which is incongruous. For one season she appeared on guitar in the cover.

She did a cover of the theme song to the Mary Tyler Moore show (Love is all Around) - which is quite brilliant.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The result of long dark nights and no TV.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 7

• RMweb Premium

A few comments for Coombe Barton on L'Arlesienne

Bizet's music was written to go with a play.  Did they really have that size of orchestra for plays?

It was also a opera, but not by Bizet.   Can you name an opera in which the title character does not appear?

On Mr Yankovic, he seems to do parodies of songs that I don't know. 

Today we went to a choir's used book sale. I came back with a couple of railway picture books and a book on Waterloo County history that mentions some of SWMBO's ancestors.  She picked up another copy of Kenneth Clark's Civilisation and another book by him.  Also a couple of CDs -- one a 5 CD set of Romanian folk music. 

Tomorrow we go to Romeo and Juliet -- which I said I would not do until they got a better ending.

• Like 17
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

In British India, when the Memsahibs were sent up to the hill stations for the summer they were often pregnant.  This was allegedly to reduce affairs going on.  

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente where it is currently sunny, though things may well change, 

Much pumping of water from, lower placed tanks to higher one took place yesterday so now the lower ones, which actually catch the rainwater are ready to receive more.  The fire was cleaned out as the sweep is due shortly. 

Ttfn. 

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Unfortunately, Puppers, I have a contract with CC Industrie to provide AD cover when the redoubt is threatened. Since I am an honourable sort of bloke I couldn't possibly renege on that deal; well, not unless an offer was made that I couldn't refuse that is. Offers should be sent on signed but otherwise uncompleted cheques to Hunt Towers.

Dave

Ohhhh Daaaaave.......

Bear & Puppers had you down as a fine, upstanding citizen with firm, unshakeable morals as a Defender of Great and the Good.

Instead we discover that you've actually gone over to The Dark Side and sold your soul to the highest bidder, namely he who follows the darkest side of "The Big Four".  Shame on you.

There is still time to repent and save yourself from eternal damnation (namely inside valve gear) however.....c'mon, turn your back on the Dark Side and come over and join The Force.....

Yours,

Bear n' Puppers.

p.s.  We've got cake - and Puppers makes a pretty mean Bacon Sarnie (with posh Bacon too - none of that Supermarket cr@p).

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 minutes ago, polybear said:

you've actually gone over to The Dark Side and sold your soul to the highest bidder, namely he who follows the darkest side of "The Big Four". 

The Dark Side doesn't care what railway company you favour, just that you do your job well...

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

p.s.  We've got cake

Real cake? Or the usual 3 for £5 pure synthetic stuff favoured by A Certain Bear.

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Puppers makes a pretty mean Bacon Sarnie (with posh Bacon too - none of that Supermarket cr@p).

Would that be dry aged bacon from rare breed, high animal welfare standard free range pigs? On artisanal, stoneground flour, wood fired oven bread (or rolls)? Spread with unsalted butter?  With a dollop of Homemade brown sauce (or ketchup) completely free of additives, preservatives or any synthetic "enhancement"?

Thought not.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

3.5 hours sleep, long awake, 2.5 hours sleep , short awake, 1/2 hours sleep

Ben the good Collie didn't get up till I did, he had a very good snuffle, going way ahead, not waiting for me..

Must be some interesting smells out there.

Bright grey welkin, heavy dew..

Right ankle not happy,  neither is right forepaw... The right forepaw has a hot palm.. something to do with forgetting my gloves yesterday, when you've got one hand on the tiller and the other on the mainsheet, when you ease the main, it's easy to let the mainsheet slide through the paw,  ouch...

53 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

In British India, when the Memsahibs were sent up to the hill stations for the summer they were often pregnant.  This was allegedly to reduce affairs going on.  

Jamie

Or the result of long cold ( ish) winter nights, no TV and not having seen their husbands for months. Also pregnant women's general dislike of hot temperatures especially of lowland India's summer.

Of hot warmish temperatures, having had lots of recent rain.  The jungle is growing rapidly, a mow is likely later if we avoid any of the promised scattered showers.

Driving back from the SC yesterday, the answer to the problem of the accounts popped into brain. That will be sorted today. Since that will shorten the meeting somewhat I'll probably do a bit more woodwork at the MRC for the sink installation..

Our local butchers,  I think would meet Il Dottore's approval.. https://cawdrons.co.uk/, very nice, and they do a very good filled baguette in the shop ( meat counter one side, baguettes the other as you go in..)..

Time for.. a muggacoffee.

• Like 16