The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The problem was that it had been dead for quite some time and the corpse disintegrated when the disposal guy picked it up. As for burying it the garden is too small and have you ever tried digging a hole deep enough in Essex clay?

Or in Cornish granite?  

If Reynard was indeed in an advanced state of decomposition then it does make bagging more difficult but yes they can be double- or triple-bagged and dropped into the wheelie bin.  Who would know?  

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Some of the US TV series we have watched recently seem to be filmed anywhere other than the state they are purporting to represent.

A lot of television is filmed in Vancouver, BC.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Leonie came and did the house work both effectively and efficiently, as usual in somewhat less time than it would take me.  All I have to do is empty the vacuum cleaner sometime. 

Much of the day passed quietly scanning more old photos, I've put a few of Grandfather's cars on the "For those interested in old cars" thread.  There were a few photos taken in France and Germany, possibly when my great aunt was living there working (I think) in a British Embassy.   I've also learnt more about where relatives lived and have been able to find several family houses using Google Earth.  Some still look very like the photos, others have been extended.  I've even found a Great Great Uncle who was a missionary with the Salvation Army somewhere abroad.  I wonder if they have any records?

After lunch I did some light gardening using a weed extractor to get rid of the weeds which were either flowering or about to flower.  I also put a couple of houseplants outside so I could deal with white fly living on them.  It is not very likely that they will come back into the house as whitefly make a form of honeydew so anywhere undet the plant gets very sticky.  I will not try a biological control such as parasitic wasps in the house, I might in the greenhouse!

I had a quick walk as after being in the garden I felt a bit sore, it eased the pain a lot.

Soon it will be tea and then a relaxing evening doing not a lot.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

One programme we watched had Montana represented by various places in Canada in the first series and New Mexico for Montana in the second series. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Today was a bit like yesterday, in that I was treated to breakfast in bed again. After which, I decided to go straight outside and take advantage of the sunshine and do some more work in the garden. This time I was working in the back garden, so I opened up the workshop and listened to some music. Quite a mixture today, I started off with a bit of Kate Bush, this was followed by some Free and finally a bit of Cream. The neighbours on both sides had gone out, so I was able to crank up the volume to 11! After dinner, I decamped to the workshop and did a bit more work on the small industrial locomotive I’m working on. Modifications to the coupling and connecting rods were done. When finished, they were all fitted and the chassis was rolled on the workbench to see if there were any more issues. Thankfully there were none, so the last part of the brake gear was fitted. Work then turned to the footplate, where I want to do some more modifications, this area of work isn’t yet finished. 

Just about to sit down with a well earned muggertea before switching on the idiots lantern to watch the news. I know I shouldn’t really, as there’s never any good news, but it does keep us up with what’s going on in the world. 

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

When you know the real geography, it can lead to amusing  combinations of places on film. Like a car chase through downtown streets, where turning a corner brings the vehicles onto the apron of a ferry terminal about 25 miles south of there. Or an actor walking out of the door of a lodge on to an ocean beach, the lodge being landlocked, about 7 miles from the nearest salt water and over 20 miles from the ocean.

An enjoyable “extra” while watching ‘The X Files’ or ‘MacGyver’ was trying to identify the minor locations.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The extra Old Farts trip out to the bike show took place, Hells Grandads indeed. A triumph, two Enfields, a Matchless and a Victory.

20240506_1058481.jpg.61723d542cdd6d2e7e09aa7d589f1b96.jpg

Then we left the show to feed, of course, it rained.  Pah.  Which stopped as we got to the cafe.  Double pah.

Then some, err, small things on metal lines were fiddled with.

• Like 19

On 04/05/2024 at 10:14, polybear said:

Bertie the Bosch

Oh you mean Jumping Jack Flash!  Ours doesnt deserve such a friendly moniker as he doesnt behave with the dignity one would expect from a quality product. And Dave the Dyson isnt much better he is a bit of an animal most days!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Busy day today, so late on the afternoon check-in, one or two IT gremlins with pages loading and rating posts but I'm here now. Watched the Miami GP over lunch so didn't look at the papers this morning. So something of an eyebrow raising moment this evening - https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/article/2024/may/07/you-wouldnt-eat-her-shes-one-of-the-family-meet-jill-australias-heaviest-oyster - with some foods, smaller/younger specimens are sweeter/more tender. I'm not sure about oysters, is size linked to quality? I'll not let it keep me awake... 

Also in the news: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/05/north-yorkshires-dropped-apostrophe-for-street-signs-upsets-residents - another example of 'computer says no'. I've done a little web-work and see how !,&,*s and <,>,/s to quote a few can work in searches and database programming but however did the rules on databases and programming language/symbols for street names (and placenames - such as 'Westward Ho!') get signed off? 

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The left knee and hip are playing up again, probably due to the rising atmospheric pressure. If the forecasters are right that means we are in for a few days of hot and sunny weather which is a small compensation.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Evening!

13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The Dark Side doesn't care what railway company you favour, just that you do your job well...

Real cake? Or the usual 3 for £5 pure synthetic stuff favoured by A Certain Bear.

Would that be dry aged bacon from rare breed, high animal welfare standard free range pigs? On artisanal, stoneground flour, wood fired oven bread (or rolls)? Spread with unsalted butter?  With a dollop of Homemade brown sauce (or ketchup) completely free of additives, preservatives or any synthetic "enhancement"?

Thought not.

Butter in a bacon roll is just plain wrong!   There's a place for bacon and there are many places for butter but together is just plain wrong.   I thought you would have known that .....

2 hours ago, polybear said:

The food of Champions:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-68946578

'Nuff sed.....

Watch out Bear, incoming ICBM ......

ION

Not a lot.

Over and out.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Butter in a bacon roll is just plain wrong!   There's a place for bacon and there are many places for butter but together is just plain wrong.  

You are dead right with that Puppers but I have to say that I am glad that someone from your neck of the woods thinks so as I always thought that butter on a bacon butty was something that defined the lack of taste of the southerner and is eschewed by right thinking northerners.

Oh, and I absolutely detest unsalted butter anyway.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Butter in a bacon roll is just plain wrong!   There's a place for bacon and there are many places for butter but together is just plain wrong.   I thought you would have known that .....

I'm not a bacon sarni kinda fellow, soss sarnis being more my thing. But I've seen purveyors of bacon sandwiches spread butter on the bread (mind you, at that price point it was probably some sort of margarine [or worse])

Obviously you've forgotten that the only rule about sandwiches is that you gotta have quality ingredients, apart from that there are NO rules.

Pilchard and marmalade on a granary bloomer? Roast beef and peanut butter in a naan? Grilled haloumi, onion chutney and bean sprouts on rye? Why not? Whatever floats your boat!

Provided that the ingredients were all top-notch (ie nothing synthetic) even a LDC, Chip and Pizza topping on focaccia would be a delicious treat for someone...

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I watched the motor racing from Miami yesterday and one episode of an Australian police series set in Tasmania. Probably not aimed at the “Bluey” target audience. Some of the US TV series we have watched recently seem to be filmed anywhere other than the state they are purporting to represent. I think the Australian show is filmed in Tasmania where it is set.  Matthew went there for a long weekend from Melbourne, it was cold and rained. 

"Deadloch"? Its a great p!sstake on all those grim  police procedurals.

It was filmed in Tasmania.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Evening!

I agree with you 100%, but I love butter, especially on fresh bread! mmmmmmm

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 6
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

with some foods, smaller/younger specimens are sweeter/more tender. I'm not sure about oysters, is size linked to quality?

With the anecdotal use of oysters I wonder if quantity would be linked to size .     😎

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, pH said:

When you know the real geography, it can lead to amusing  combinations of places on film. Like a car chase through downtown streets, where turning a corner brings the vehicles onto the apron of a ferry terminal about 25 miles south of there. Or an actor walking out of the door of a lodge on to an ocean beach, the lodge being landlocked, about 7 miles from the nearest salt water and over 20 miles from the ocean.

An enjoyable “extra” while watching ‘The X Files’ or ‘MacGyver’ was trying to identify the minor locations.

the movie Silver Streak had the final sequence filmed around Toronto.  But the railway continuity was like a run through Reading, Tring, ending with a crash into the ticket hall at Kings Cross. 

Possesives in place names:  These were abolished in Canada many years ago from the names of natural features.  Smith's Falls became Smith Falls.  Two places in eastern Canada, St John and St John's. St John named after a river. St John's is in Newfoundland which joined Canada after the purge of possesives. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oh, and I absolutely detest unsalted butter anyway.

Dave

Just two words on salted butter*: essential hypertension.

The average person in the UK consumes about 8.1g salt a day. Various health organisations recommend no more than 2.3g of it/day. Most of the salt consumed comes from things that don’t seem to be salty (like mass produced cake or frozen fries or ready made pasta sauces).

How do I know this? For various reasons I need to be on a low carbohydrate, no more than the recommended amount of sodium diet and I did my research (the information is all there: either in the small print on the label or online).

Fortunately, this Damascene Conversion that led to a much healthier diet, hasn’t resulted in too much abnegation. The only thing I truly miss is the ready made pork pie and pork scratchings (far, far too much salt in the latter) - but even those were just occasional treats “back in the day”. Oh, and a piadina stuffed with Emilia Romagna’s finest salumi…

*Butter was once salted to prevent it from going rancid, with modern refrigeration technology that is no longer needed.

Edited by iL Dottore
Wording
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

All I got on the Bear's link was an article about running..

The only time we put butter with bacon is with a full B.L.T.

As for salt, we don't use it in cooking, we very rarely eat out or have a take away, ( ok I now have pie and chips on a Friday between R.A.D.A.R. museum and M.R.C. but that's summer only. I doubt we eat anywhere near 2.3g per day.

Mooring Awl,

Up early because swmbo got up early, an hour early for Ben's patrol, yes sample time for Ben again. 

After that Ben and me continued on patrol, which he was very happy about, but he cut it short, probably because SWMBO was up.

Ben's gone back to sleep now, lying in the doorway making sure neither of us can escape without him.

I could do with more sleep, I've had about 5 hours and have a headache.

Like PhilW, I've awoken to pain that indicates a change in the air pressure. Unusually this time it's going up in pressure, normally I get it only when the pressure goes down.

The forepaws are their normal light painful level, but my right ankle is particularly stiff and complaining. Though that maybe a result of all day on my feet for the boat show.

Later I'll take the sample in, then find out if there are more pills for Ben..

After that, work may happen on the spinny thingy, as my brownie points are in negative territory having been out for all or part of the last 5 days..

Oh and fire stove needs emptying and inspecting..

Time for breaky.. Hmm  that well might be a B.L.T.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1