The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The postie delivered a package earlier. It contained a new pair of slippers, the old ones are beginning to look a bit tatty so I decided on a new pair, £50 including postage. That might seem a lot but I require a broad fitting. Also the old ones are over three years old and apart from being a bit grubby have worn well. The slippers I have had before at £10-£12 a pair have lasted a little more than 6 months before they disintegrate.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Something very noticeable in Singapore, supported by statistics, is how obesity rates seem linked to ethnicity. About 21% of Malay people are obese, 15% for Indian people and 6% Chinese. I know this is a topic which has to be treated sensitively, but there do seem to be lifestyle habits among Malay Singaporeans which lead to much higher obesity rates and among Indians to a lesser degree. However I suspect that ones a hand grenade.

Two things which probably help healthcare are that alcohol consumption is very modest by European standards and smoking rates quite low (actually that's an indicator the UK scores pretty well compared to many countries).

Diet is mixed, UHP are much less prevalent but people eat loads of carbohydrates and fried food. 

A statistic which is interesting is very low infant mortality. I don't know if they calculate it using the same criteria as European countries (are there WHO guidelines?) but Singapore has a very low infant mortality rate.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Yes it is a lot of fun, and sometimes embarrassing. When I started looking into my family tree I discovered one of my great grandmothers had the maiden name of Mogg. Being such an unusual surname I started tracing it back and got as far back as my 3X great grandfather a farmer living in Podimore, Somerset in the early 19th century. I was using Genes reunited through which you can compare family trees so I looked for the surname Mogg in the surrounding villages and contacted the owners of the family trees. One of the first I contacted replied that her 3X great grandfather was a brother of my 3X great grandfather and whats more she sent me a copy of the Mogg family tree dating back to Tudor times when the name was 'invented'. It was adopted by a father and son originally named Keen in the mid 1550's when Mary Tudor was on the throne.

Further to the above, another ancestor was tasked with spying on the poet Wordsworth at the time of the French revolution. This was because Wordsworth was making frequent trips to Paris only then it was discovered that Wordsworth was visiting his French mistress Annette Vallon. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just sorted out the photos I took while I was at Newbiggin by the Sea this morning, here are a few of them.

sBSC_8636NewbigginbytrheSea.jpg.bb6e5a18fa00e501d6582a4e2818c2c6.jpg

A coble, still used for fishing.  They are becoming rare but are still found in Northumberland, I see one most of the times I go to look at the sea.

sBSC_8643NewbigginbytrheSea.jpg.eba6b78eff6d09e1b45174f94d28f0aa.jpg

The Bay at Newbiggin around low tide.

sBSC_8642NewbigginbytrheSea.jpg.9dd02789c0d136067f84a4b4d8fa683d.jpg

Miniature version of "The Couple" sculpture looking out to sea from just behind the promenade.

sBSC_8646NewbigginbytrheSea.jpg.075a5f560e288a9082f63361dc6c3cb9.jpg

Newbiggin by the Sea breakwaters.  The full size "The Couple" can be seen on the white structure on the far breakwater.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Hospice Warehouse again today - all good fun as always.  I also experienced an Earth Tremor as I had an early morning wander around Morrysuns pre-Warehouse, resulting in two packs of Donuts falling into the Trolley.  Oops.  Still, "The A Team" at the W/H came to the rescue by helping to scoff them, so no harm done.

By all accounts the Warehouse was absolutely manic yesterday - four hundred donations in a day, no doubt the result of SWMBO's telling Hubby to get the Loft & Garage cleared out over the B/H weekend....

ION.....

Oh so wrong - for numerous reasons.  T0ssers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm540ev5llro

BG

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear used to regularly stay at a Farm B&B in Podimore in the 90's & 00's; the place is so tiny that I wonder if it might just be the same Farm?  The Family name was Crane when I was there.

I went there just after I retired 16 years ago to have a look around. I've no idea what farm it was there are several in the village. I had a look in the church but the headstones had been removed and placed around the walls and most of them were unreadable being badly eroded.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I'm wearing the new slippers and they are very cosy and comfortable. Now time for a cuppa.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

All went well at the surgery this morning. I arrived a few minutes early and was seen on time for a change. Before I had my injection, I had my blood pressure checked, 114/70, which apparently is very good, especially as I’d walked it there (1/2 mile there and back) and not rested for more than a couple of minutes! Appointments have been made for my next injection and also for my next blood test. 

Once home I made myself a muggertea and headed off outside with every intention of doing some gardening. However, I ended up tidying the shed as it was getting quite full. It now looks a lot better and I can at least get in and retrieve any power tool now, without having to move the wheelbarrow out of the way, which is a result. 

After dinner, I spent an hour or so in the workshop, doing a bit more work on the small industrial locomotive. Today I fixed the chassis securing bits to the metal footplate and made a new footplate overlay. The next stage will be to glue the new footplate down and add some tool boxes etc. Although I’m using an old Hornby locomotive and an upgrade kit, it’ll be more a freelance engine, so I’m not too bothered about it looking prototypical, it’s more a case of whatever takes my fancy. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

Apparently my phone can transcribe voice messages - I did not know that!

It has just transcribed a message for me. It said:

“Call UPS quality teaching in the quality I would intentional high link cheating on bought your car and we need for king back you waiting for…”

I felt I had to hear the original of such an interesting message, so played back the stored version - it was in Chinese (quite common in ‘cold’ calls here).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Thought for the Day......

A Goalie in a Footie Team just isn't allowed to say "Buggerritt, this lot's cr@p so I'm off to help the Guy at the other end".

Yet it seems that if you work in the Big House you can do just that - as a certain person did just yesterday.  Still, as she played on the Dover & Deal Team she didn't have the greatest record in the World at stopping 'em coming in.......

Is that A Rant?

Yes, I think it probably is.

BG

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My own view is that any MP crossing the floor should resign and stand for re-election.  I know that constitutionally we vote for an MP, not a party, but in reality most people vote for a political party and candidates stand based on a manifesto offering.  If an MP decides their party is a sack of faeces that's fine, but the honorable thing to do is resign and let voters decide if they still want to be represented by that person.

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

7 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

My own view is that any MP crossing the floor should resign and stand for re-election.  I know that constitutionally we vote for an MP, not a party, but in reality most people vote for a political party and candidates stand based on a manifesto offering.  If an MP decides their party is a sack of faeces that's fine, but the honorable thing to do is resign and let voters decide if they still want to be represented by that person.

I have not looked up any recent crossing of floors but in the abstract, MPs should represent their constituency. They should vote for what their constituents want - not what the party whips want them to do. That is what representative democracy is about.

There is way to much partisan politics today with representatives deliberately following party orthodoxy over what the people actually want.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I have not looked up any recent crossing of floors but in the abstract, MPs should represent their constituency. They should vote for what their constituents want - not what the party whips want them to do. That is what representative democracy is about.

There is way to much partisan politics today with representatives deliberately following party orthodoxy over what the people actually want.

This is the underlying principle of the British parliamentary system, we vote for an MP who represents us. However, in practice all MP's associated with a political party stand on the manifesto of that party and all their election materials and soapbox talks are based on that line. Crucially, the party is on the ballot paper, I'm assuming here which is a bad thing to do but I am pretty certain that the vast majority of voters look at the party political affiliation when looking for which box to tick, not the candidate name. Which does raise the question of legitimacy and respect for the electorate that if a candidate sells themselves as 'vote for me and Party A because we'll do X' then jumps to party B saying it'll do Y. In reality it really doesn't make much difference as on foreign policy the parties are pretty much fully aligned and on economic policy one if slightly right/left of the other but in reality offering the same but there's a principle of honouring the basis on which they were elected.

Where it is different is emerging issues. There are several huge issues today which could not have formed part of an election offering in 2019, in those cases I think MP's should consult with constituents and take a pulse, but also apply their own judgement. In reality, the vast majority are just lobby fodder doing what the whips demand and in some cases senior MPs actually celebrate politicians having the courage to ignore their voters which is essentially a refutation of democratic principles.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2