Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

IIRC the Leeds Atlanteans had MCW Orion bodies. Rather aptly described as 'heaps of shivering tin'. My grandparents lived in Hastings and I remember when the trolleybuses were replaced by the first Leyland Atlanteans in 1959. They had Park Royal bodies though that didn't try to shake themselves to pieces.

The build quality of British bus bodies has long been the source of complaint among operators and the public at large.  Some rattle alarmingly; some don't.  But why?  

The Hastings buses referred to would have been those bodied by Weymann or Park Royal (the operator, Maidstone & District, had batches from both) which I recall were solid and largely rattle-free products.  Weymann was later sold to the Metropolitan-Cammell business and were built under the "Metro-Cammell-Weymann" or MCW brand.  These rattled.  

One conclusion might be that the change of factory from Surrey to the West Midlands was the cause.  Surely not of itself though.  The assembly and finishing at MCW might have been different to that which Weymann had been accustomed to however.  Park Royal bodies were largely rattle-free at that time but on later AN68-series Atlanteans, as opposed to the earlier PDR-series models, their ubiquitous body design which adorned vast numbers of buses started to rattle after just a few miles in service.  

Portsmouth, which still had some cobbled streets in the 1960s, also operated early Atlanteans with MCW bodies.  These, as I recall, did not rattle despite operating over the cobbles.  Neither did their earlier PD2 rear-entrance half-cab MCW-bodied buses.  

I suspect the answer lies somewhere in between batch build quality, customer specification, operator maintenance and driving technique.  Look after the chassis and suspension and the body will stay in good condition.  Do nothing beyond lubrication and parts will wear causing vibration which is passed up through the body and translates into every joint loosening fractionally.  And rattling.  

And driving technique.  Leave the bus in gear when stationary (Atlanteans were semi-automatic with a mini-stick shift) and the engine pulling against the brakes would send vibration throughout the vehicle.  Some operators reprimanded drivers for this momentary laziness; others allowed it to pass as normal driving technique.  

• Informative/Useful 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The knees are slowly recovering after yesterdays shopping trip. I have done nothing today except watch TV, if that makes me a bone idle old git thats what I am.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... AI only exists because of electricity and devices – maybe if we brought back handwriting on paper …?? ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/05/18/covid-and-hospital-northern-ireland-enquiry-domestics/

A College Engineering Tutor buddy says other Tutors at the College somehow use AI to mark assessments - cut n’ paste n’ all that.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

53 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

And driving technique.  Leave the bus in gear when stationary (Atlanteans were semi-automatic with a mini-stick shift) and the engine pulling against the brakes would send vibration throughout the vehicle.  Some operators reprimanded drivers for this momentary laziness; others allowed it to pass as normal driving technique.  

That is absolutely normal driving technique with an automatic car - start it in ‘P’ark, move it into ‘D’rive at the start of a journey, put it back into ‘P’ark at the end of the journey and switch off.

Why is that not appropriate for a semi-automatic bus? (Genuine question.)

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

15 minutes ago, pH said:

That is absolutely normal driving technique with an automatic car - start it in ‘P’ark, move it into ‘D’rive at the start of a journey, put it back into ‘P’ark at the end of the journey and switch off.

I think it's just because the engine is working harder in drive than it is in neutral. In drive the engine is still driving the torque converter and trying to propel the vehicle which is why it creeps as soon as you release the brake. The work being done by the engine is wasted as it's just heating the fluid in the torque converter when the brakes prevent motion.

In theory you'll save a little fuel if you pop it into neutral when stopped but you'll save more if you stop the engine. I do that if I think I'm going to be stopped for a while.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

More on the Battery event.

While I was there the battleground was being set up with small explosive charges placed on the grass and covered with mounds of soil to give a good effect when they are detonated.  Of course there was lots of security - the van and the area used was behind a fenced off area - a single piece of cord strung along metal spikes - on the side next to the footpath, nothing on the rest of the Links.

The whole thing was very enjoyable but was not much like recollections of family members who went through one or both wars who told me of some of their experiences.  Not even like my childhood memories of the bomb shelters by the school playground and playing on bomb sites.  More seriously not like the threat of war when we were told about the "4 minute warning and what to do" when I was at school.  

sIMG_0106BlythBatteryMorris8.jpg.3ae48541c718f39a26f66716efd97efc.jpg

Morris 8

sIMG_0115BlythBattery.jpg.b6b216a4d40328f916a14b83937bcaf7.jpg

Portable pill box

sIMG_0123BlythBattery.jpg.df638b4371d42a27a502e1acf12952b8.jpg

Cheerful reenactors

sIMG_0127BlythBattery.jpg.4d5fe524b8712f99254076425ed4a8b2.jpg

Inside the Battery control room

sIMG_0129BlythBattery.jpg.39f4e3991827916656f8e3eb6abe9b93.jpg

Morris Minor Traveller

sIMG_0131BlythBattery.jpg.794ffbc58c27f785fd6f53b4785e93b2.jpg

Weapons etc

sIMG_0134BlythBattery.jpg.f30351ec56e50398eeb373a5f9029889.jpg

Looking south from the searchlight buildings (behind me) to the main buildings in the distance (where the main display is situated) with sea fret coming in from the sea.  The building in the centre is lifeguards, toilets etc and is modern.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, DaveF said:

More on the Battery event.

sIMG_0127BlythBattery.jpg.4d5fe524b8712f99254076425ed4a8b2.jpg

Inside the Battery control room

Erm…is it just me or has someone lent the show ‘their very personal foldawayable female mannequin ’……??????

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, pH said:

I’m no expert on the weird & wonderful ways such transmissions work but I very much suspect it may cause unnecessary wear.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

... very low beds (or very high futons on a dias if you will

Very like a Western "futon". Thank you for the clarification. That helps.

I had a western futon that folded into a 'sofa' for day use. The frame was much worn by my youngest who was a big lad, but it persists. I did replace the mattress.

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, AndyID said:

In theory you'll save a little fuel if you pop it into neutral when stopped but you'll save more if you stop the engine. I do that if I think I'm going to be stopped for a while.

Yes, if there’s a holdup which isn’t going to clear for a while, I’ll switch off (but with a little nagging thought about possible difficulty in restarting a hot engine). But I won’t switch off in regular driving, even at a specific intersection where a cycle of the lights takes 2 minutes.

About shutting off to save fuel - a Canadian municipality (Thunder Bay, I think) instructed their bus drivers to switch off if they were going to be stationary for any significant time. The order was rescinded when the frequency and cost of replacing starter motors climbed steeply.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

51 minutes ago, polybear said:

I’m no expert on the weird & wonderful ways such transmissions work but I very much suspect it may cause unnecessary wear.

Not really. Just unnecessary work done by churning and therefore heating the fluid in the torque converter. At low rotational speed torque converters are very inefficient so they slip without transmitting a lot of torque so there s not a lot of load on the engine. But if if you do the same thing with a manual transmission by riding the clutch you will wear-out the clutch plate fairly quickly.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Erm…is it just me or has someone lent the show ‘their very personal foldawayable female mannequin ’……??????

The 2 men are waxworks too.  In fact most of the rooms had such figures as well as the volunteers who were doing the explaining.

David

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, polybear said:

A College Engineering Tutor buddy says other Tutors at the College somehow use AI to mark assessments - cut n’ paste n’ all that.

I will not. Probably takes me a lot more time.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

Yes, if there’s a holdup which isn’t going to clear for a while, I’ll switch off (but with a little nagging thought about possible difficulty in restarting a hot engine). But I won’t switch off in regular driving, even at a specific intersection where a cycle of the lights takes 2 minutes.

About shutting off to save fuel - a Canadian municipality (Thunder Bay, I think) instructed their bus drivers to switch off if they were going to be stationary for any significant time. The order was rescinded when the frequency and cost of replacing starter motors climbed steeply.

Mickey the MG has stop/start but I always disable it for the same reason - plus you never know when (if?) the starter will pack up; it’s bound to be at the worst possible time.

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Mickey the MG has stop/start but I always disable it for the same reason - plus you never know when (if?) the starter will pack up; it’s bound to be at the worst possible time.

A couple of the cars I’ve hired in the UK had that feature (bug?). I read the manual to find out how to disable it before driving off the rental lot.

• Like 9
  • Funny 2

12 hours ago, Grizz said:

At the moment it smells very strongly of the oil used to keep it rust free. 

You might want to store it on something like a wooden "tee". (A post with a cross member - approximating shoulders.) This should keep it from getting tangled, with air circulating. It will be too heavy for the average closet/wardrobe rod and coat hanger.  If you leave it folded in a box it will rust for sure with any humidity present.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Posted (edited)

Why is the cucumber sandwich on this list?  Who eats those things? Disgusting. (I'm not sure my Lab would eat them! Just kidding, of course it would, but ...)

CNN: 24 of the world’s best sandwiches

You'll be happy to know the chip butty makes the list.

No hot dogs or burgers on the list. And yes, they are sandwiches.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Memories of those older Atlanteans is that the torque converters were very 'tight' and imposed considerable load on the engine at tickover - far more than one would experience with an automatic car.  The result was engine revs pulled down to a lower than ideal tickover and working noticeably against he brakes, vibrating quite badly as a result.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Memories of those older Atlanteans is that the torque converters were very 'tight' and imposed considerable load on the engine at tickover - far more than one would experience with an automatic car.  The result was engine revs pulled down to a lower than ideal tickover and working noticeably against he brakes, vibrating quite badly as a result.

That would do it! It's not easy to stall a diesel but they do get very "lumpy" at lower speeds. Come to think of it the torque converter for a bus must be enormous compared to those used in cars and they have to operate over a much narrower speed range.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

You might want to store it on something like a wooden "tee". (A post with a cross member - approximating shoulders.) This should keep it from getting tangled, with air circulating. It will be too heavy for the average closet/wardrobe rod and coat hanger.  If you leave it folded in a box it will rust for sure with any humidity present.

Anyone sitting on a seat after Grizz has been there won’t be happy if they end up with oil stains on their posh frock/jeans/whatever

12 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Why is the cucumber sandwich on this list?  Who eats those things? Disgusting. (I'm not sure my Lab would eat them! Just kidding, of course it would, but ...)

CNN: 24 of the world’s best sandwiches

You'll be happy to know the chip butty makes the list.

No hot dogs or burgers on the list. And yes, they are sandwiches.

No Marmite Sarnie

No Jam Sarnie

No Crisp Sarnie

The list is Cobblers.

• Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That would do it! It's not easy to stall a diesel but they do get very "lumpy" at lower speeds. Come to think of it the torque converter for a bus must be enormous compared to those used in cars and they have to operate over a much narrower speed range.

Yes, spot on Andy.  I drive an automatic diesel car but the converter isn't tight like that, but it has a much greater operating range.  It's also not a crappy old Leyland engine....diesels have come a long way.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

No Marmite Sarnie

No Jam Sarnie

No Crisp Sarnie

Nor do they include the ultimate American sandwich for children, the PB&J (or for little Ozzie nippers, fairy bread). I think the list is intended for adults. 😉

There are a lot of sandwiches that are really good - Bánh mì, Cubano, Reuben, Muffuletta, Po' Boy, Lobster Roll, etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1