The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's been a warm afternoon and it looks like there'll be some more to come. Bird baths cleaned and refilled. The butterflies and bees have been out in force, some snaps were taken. I'll see whether any are any good later. A stock of 'mucky magazines' has been laid in store for the next few days. There is already a respectable pile of material for the tip and various charitable organisations. Hopefully I can reclaim my hall by the end of the week. 

A crane has appeared on one of our local building sites. It's a sizeable one, though I'm not sure why they need it. Seems a bit of overkill. It must be very hot in the control cabin at the moment. So any low flying bears, hippos (or other creatures) had better duck if they plan any unannounced noctural visits. Mind the little red lights... 

Some paperwork was attempted, though I didn't get too far. I had a better night than many recently, but I did run out of steam a bit this pm. Time to go and plan some shopping, and think about menus favouring salads and cold stuff. We have plenty of spring onions and salad from the garden left but an unfortunate oversight has occurred in not having all the ingredients for a blackberry and apple crumble. And not due to marauding blackbirds and wasps this time! 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

@The White Rabbit I wonder if the crane size may be down to the distance away from the crane the lifted material is. Most Bison jobs that had mobile cranes were 1000tonners. Builders tower crane jobs were obviously already supplied with lifting equipment. The first load to a site always had the site paperwork with it, I often checked it to see if you could glean information to have a rough guess how long unloading would take. Normal allowance was around 10t per hour but would be longer if it was builders tower crane as the fitting crew would be fighting for crane use. There were other variables as well such as  having to thread the slabs through structural steelwork

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Well, best I disappear and start preparing the prawn salad earmarked for this evenings dinner.

Prawn Salad?  PRAWN SALAD??  You call that Dinner?

And Mrs. P lets you get away with THAT??

Yours,

Shocked, of Bear Towers

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

According to the BBC website Olivia Newton John has died aged 73

Yes. She had been quite ill for some time, but 73 is far too young. 

CNN: Olivia Newton-John, singer and actress, dead at 73 makes this statement:

The singer revealed in September 2018 that she was treating cancer at the base of her spine. It was her third cancer diagnosis, following bouts with breast cancer in the early '90s and in 2017.

That's two well-known Australian septuagenarian singers in a week. Hopefully there won't be a third.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Anyway, one of the (very poorly) processed photographs from last night helps illustrate my point on the shear number of stars hiding in that relatively bright sky waiting to be prised out of their hideouts with very modest equipment.

5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

That IS impressive!

Yes, it is. 

Without going down the whole "Space is big, really big" path, it is quite stunning just how much is out there in deep field views. Of course Hubble/Web deep field images are pretty mind-bending but it's nice to see what is possible from the surface, even with all the atmospherics and light pollution. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

I'm no expert on speed cameras (from either an official or "user's" perspective  😀) but I always believed that measuring the Doppler shift of an RF signal was the principle used by mobile "speed guns" which would actually be essentially instantaneous and hence take a very short distance indeed

I thought all the hand-held "RADAR" guns were actually LASERs these days. The RF guns could be jammed/detected much more easily. LASERs are only on momentarily and are very precise.

They are a visible wavelength. (Ask me how I know.)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Prawn Salad?  PRAWN SALAD??  You call that Dinner?

And Mrs. P lets you get away with THAT??

Yours,

Shocked, of Bear Towers

We would call it  an hors d'euvre  or befores🙂

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 15

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That's two well-known Australian septuagenarian singers in a week. Hopefully there won't be a third.

Has been a bad week for Australian music. Less well known outside Australia but a big presence here was Archie Roach, who died on the weekend ,sadly only in his 60's. .

One of our major indigenous  performers, he had a rotten start to life, he was a member of the "Stolen generation" of indigenous children forcibly removed by authorities from their parents  and placed in orphanages or foster homes.  He battled alcoholism and homelessness in his late teens before establishing a musical career.

His most well known song here, the autobiographical "They took the children away" tells this story. 

(We dont usually immediately hear about the deaths of indigenous people due to the media respecting cultural traditions of not mentioning their names or showing their images for a period but the fanily waived that in this instance)

• Informative/Useful 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Less well known outside Australia but a big presence here was Archie Roach, who died on the weekend ,sadly only in his 60's.

I had never heard of him. Looking up his biography, it appears that his early recognized work was in the late 1980s after I left Australia.

• Informative/Useful 8

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes, it is. 

Without going down the whole "Space is big, really big" path, it is quite stunning just how much is out there in deep field views. Of course Hubble/Web deep field images are pretty mind-bending but it's nice to see what is possible from the surface, even with all the atmospherics and light pollution. 

I was a bit of an astronomy nerd in my early teens, looking back at the books from then that I still have, the 200 inch Hale reflecting   telescope in  Mount Palomar observatory in California was the pinnacle of our observational abilities. This was essentially the same technology invented way back by Isaac Newton but in  typical big American size.

How far we have come since those 1970's books were printed.  Many of the photos in those books taken by it and other major observatories around the world at the time are obtainable by amateurs now if they have deep enough pockets. 

@pupcam - mate have you done any post processing on your pics via photoshop/Gimp/Lightroom etc? If not have a look at some online tutorials, you'll be surprised at how much data is hiding in there waiting to be tweaked!  . Most tutes use lightroom, but Gimp is free and  you can bumble your way around it or other packages to find the equivalent settings to pay around with, although I have found a Gimp one on youtube, below.  its pretty much a set sequence of  steps. 

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I had never heard of him. Looking up his biography, it appears that his early recognized work was in the late 1980s after I left Australia.

The mid to late 80's were quite a golden time for indigenous bands and artists, Warumpi Band, Yothu Yindi, No Fixed Address, Sunrize band, Coloured Stone all had chart success.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Hot here though maybe not as hot as other areas. I did get a bit of muddling done for the first time in days. A bit more of that and I will get my little orange boxes on wheels finished.

And on that optimistic note:

‘ night all and nos da.

Polly

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

And there was me thinking that Passion Flowers was a book to be read under the bedclothes by boarders at my old school.

Jamie

MMMmmmmm!!! Francesca Annis in the movie! Just my vintage!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 6
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Today was supposed to be around 33°C with lower temperatures tomorrow. Out walking this morning was much nicer than yesterday (when we eventually hit 38°C), and almost felt like a hint of Autumn in the air. Mid-morning today was cloudy which I think moderated temperatures, and I'd be surprised if we hit the forecast high. (It's around 30°C as of 5:00pm.)

It's been nice having a functioning air conditioning system.

The week ahead looks warm and summery but not excessively hot. The forecast suggests a chance of thunderstorms on Tuesday evening into Wednesday. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13