RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It now shuts down when I close the lid

I always manually use the 'sleep' option, then wait until the little LED (indicates on=blue) turns to charging=red, charged=green or off, before closing the lid. The consequence of not waiting means an indeterminate state which require a full hard boot with the power button down for several seconds to resolve.

This is on a Samsung laptop. Others will vary. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

2 hours ago, Kelly said:

Yes, he has. I can go down with a combination of a crutch and the bannister. There's only a bannister on one side,  so can't manage going up yet so still dragging myself up on my bum until the ankle feels strong enough to go up using the banister with my right hand only for support. 

But going down still presents quite a lot of anxiety about slipping or falling so need Richard for support and need him for carrying anything down anyway. 

A fan and mostly laying on the bed watching YouTube on the tablet is the plan for the rest of the evening I think. 

Kelly 

Never used crutches and use a walking stick/cane on the stairs.  Crutches are a bit of a pain so just a stick is more easier as like you, we still rely on a bannister which can be used to haul yourself up or a firm grip going down.  It gets easier as time passes!  Good luck🙂

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

22 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

Windoze had a real go at it today, having twice 'updated' my lappy, then shut it down.  It now shuts down when I close the lid, despite the settings say for it to just sleep.  Hell how I hate computers.

interesting to hear about Garforth Cliff garden centre, our Not-God Daughter (not Christians so can't be God parents, but pledged to undertake the same duties!) from Darrington used to love to go there and ride the train.  It would appear some time has passed as she's just got a First in Marine Biology and is going on to a Masters in Edinburgh.  Sheesh.

27c here this afternoon, which is mighty hot for a small rock in the sea.  

My Grandad took me on it when I was nowt but a lad they had made some parts for the greenhouses if I remember correctly 

Edited by simontaylor484
Spell checker
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I always manually use the 'sleep' option, then wait until the little LED (indicates on=blue) turns to charging=red, charged=green or off, before closing the lid. The consequence of not waiting means an indeterminate state which require a full hard boot with the power button down for several seconds to resolve.

This is on a Samsung laptop. Others will vary. 

Its an HP, usually sleeps nicely when you just shut the lid.  Pressing the power button briefly shuts it down.

Worked fine for the last 4 years until Windoze updated it today. 🤬

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Its an HP, usually sleeps nicely when you just shut the lid.  Pressing the power button briefly shuts it down.

Worked fine for the last 4 years until Windoze updated it today. 🤬

Dive into Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > System Settings and that'll let you play with the appropriate settings.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

For the US readers, if you ever need legal advice, probably dont use these guys.

Attorneys for right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones accidentally sent his legal adversaries a nude photo of his wife that he had texted to the conservative political operative Roger Stone.

They also sent some other phone records if I understand correctly 

Happen the Lawyers are called Bungle, Cock-up and mistake

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Dive into Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > System Settings and that'll let you play with the appropriate settings.

Already done all that mate, it was still set correctly.  Just doesn't work.  Jeeze, computers.....

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

They also sent some other phone records if I understand correctly 

Happen the Lawyers are called Bungle, Cock-up and mistake

And I believe that the 6th January committee wantbaccess to thevother material.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Afternoon 

I have had the dubious pleasure of visiting 3 yes 3 garden centres today on the hunt for an olive tree. I finally found one at the hell hole that is Hampsons plant world @Erichill16 knows the place. Fortunately this visit to the 9th circle of hell was mitigated by chips from Kingfisher chippy on Denby Dale road. 

Not bad to say we started at Garforth cliff which has been modernised but the miniature railway is long gone

Too late but they had olive trees on sale at Aldi. Don't know of course if they are available where you are but. I think they were £24.99 so not cheap.

Sorry I didn't post earlier but had a very long and tiring day.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Too late but they had olive trees on sale at Aldi. Don't know of course if they are available where you are but. I think they were £24.99 so not cheap.

Sorry I didn't post earlier but had a very long and tiring day.

Thanks for the info. Plants at our local Aldi dont seem to to last well.

I paid £35 but it is a large standard tree I paid around £20 -25 for the other 3 trees which are much smaller.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Thanks for the info. Plants at our local Aldi dont seem to to last well.

I paid £35 but it is a large standard tree I paid around £20 -25 for the other 3 trees which are much smaller.

I had quick shufty and wasn't particularly impressed as they were on the small side. Our Aldi isn't too bad in terms of looking after them but they aren't baked beans at the end of the day so you need to be aware of what your buying.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Bl****y spell check.
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Our local Tess Coes had some olive trees in, but they are artificial. Ideally I want a small flowering tree or shrub that attracts pollinators. Self pollinating trees are a no-no as I suffer from hay fever. I read somewhere that trees such as silver birch, which are becoming fashionable are contributing to the increase in hay fever. @Kelly I hope your dad gets better soon, and yourself of course. I had a hand rail fitted to my stairs about a year ago and its a godsend.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Already done all that mate, it was still set correctly.  Just doesn't work.  Jeeze, computers.....

It might look like its shutting down but might actually  be hibernating, despite your warm temperatures.

Go back nto the battery or power saver  options or whatever its called, and look for the Select Plan button. 

You should have a plan selected? If so click on it and there should be an Advanced Power options or something button. This should fire up a new box with a heap of options, one of which should be ""Hibernate After" . If this setting is set to a too small time period, extend it and see if it makes a difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

And I believe that the 6th January committee wantbaccess to thevother material.

Jamie

If I was his wife I'd be wondering why he was sending pictures of me in the nuddy to Roger Stone in the first place. There'd be some explaining to do, let me tell you!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 4

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

If I was his wife I'd be wondering why he was sending pictures of me in the nuddy to Roger Stone in the first place. There'd be some explaining to do, let me tell you!

Is there something your trying to tell us?

• Funny 12

37 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Our local Tess Coes had some olive trees in, but they are artificial. Ideally I want a small flowering tree or shrub that attracts pollinators. Self pollinating trees are a no-no as I suffer from hay fever. I read somewhere that trees such as silver birch, which are becoming fashionable are contributing to the increase in hay fever. @Kelly I hope your dad gets better soon, and yourself of course. I had a hand rail fitted to my stairs about a year ago and its a godsend.

Hmm try one of the Sorbus genus or a laburnum.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2