The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

And finally....

One of the Freecycle (Freegle) items (a part-used roll of 4" wide Builder's Mesh) was collected this evening;  I'd left it in the Recycling Box in the front garden.  That's one item re-homed without going into a hole in the ground (no way would I have dumped it - that would've been criminal) - plus a small amount of space freed up at Bear Towers.  That's a Tick.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 18

32 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

the tennis overran

It lasted precisely as long as you would expect for that sort of match. Poor anticipation I'd say.

Maximum length is quite predictable these days with a final set tie-breaker. Whether 3, 4 or 5 sets will be needed is of course a variable.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

After dragging the chain on receiving two reminders in the post (about a month apart) to schedule a routine (every five years) colonoscopy, I finally called them and was scolded that I was sent a second reminder. They then scheduled a pre-procedure consultation - for November!

Feel free to skip a bit.

/rant_on

/rant number 1.

GI practices are printing money with colonoscopies - they're like a sausage factory (or perhaps more accurately the inverse of a sausage factory, with things going in one after the other, rather than going out.) It's almost impossible to actually see a Gastroenterologist unless you are diagnosed as being ill - they are too busy cranking the handle on the money printing machine.

/rant number 2.

People who schedule meetings with Microsoft Outlook/Teams need to understand that not all people have Microsoft Outlook/Teams. I asked whether the email confirmation would contain the date and time. "Yes". However, all I have is the Teams meeting coordinates - "click here to join this meeting" boilerplate. (There is a .ics file attachment, which my laptop, not running Outlook, does not comprehend).

I can download the .ics on my telephone and add it to my telephone calendar, (or could until my internet provider decided to discontinue their mobile browser email portal and want you to download their proprietary "app"). All* the browser links to the email portal have been intentionally removed.

* Except from their online help.

Simply adding the time/date of the meeting to the body of the email would be totally sufficient, but the Teams integration in Outlook does not do this automatically.

/rant_off

Another relentlessly sunny day with blue skies. Slightly less stupid hot than yesterday - presently 32°C on the patio.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your support - decided to clear the 'grass' that led to breaking little bits off ... yes you've guessed 'Let's get stuck in' and after about six hours and two trips with the east bits ( 2X max weight I could carry on each trip) a break ... then 'What about the wood' ... well lets get it done.  Next door neighbour did not need an for their burner so cut up in lengths equivalent to my 50 plus year old  'Workmate' (with ruciprocating saw not by hand).  Noting dark clouds appearing I decide to load the car for a tip trip tomorrow but needed a number of runs with the sack wagon.  UYou can see a slight difference in car level but heigh ho it was all cleared just befor ethe rain came hemce no 'post c;earance' picture.

Didn't realise that bear was a pet until seeing the hotel notice.

Jobs offerred but not taken up ... who knows but had just started a new post in the NHS wjhem approached by a company  rep. that was producing the equipment to run the testing at the time - loved their products and had previously linked indiividual items up in what jokingly was called the 'Fishtank'.  Btoadly speaking all the chemical reaction coils were visible throuigh clear Perspex and changing one from another merely required the relevnt connections from the pumps - nothing spectacular but just made the work easier.  As you can guess the company was building an automated more refined machine capabnle of doing more.  Only relatively recent postings on here made me actually realise just what might have not been if accepted but that is life and I enjoyed the concept of  NHS and stayed.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Apologies for the late posting, but sat here in the smallest room in the house, it's not actually- but that's for another time, waiting. So whilst I'm sat sitting, Terry Wogan aficionados will get that one, I thought I know I'll post an update.

So how's your day been? Well since you ask it didn't go exactly to plan. You know I said as was going to foreign territory aka the plains of Cheshire. Well never got there. Instead we ventured into the deepest, darkest lands of east Lancashire.

Eyer lad they don't 'alf speak funny there. So having enabled translator mode on the satnav we ended up having a toddle round the Wigan Flashes.

The only trouble being was we couldn't see any Flashes, as they were completely hidden by bull rushes. So dog was a bit unhappy, as she likes to go for a bit of wade which for a miniature schnauzer is unusual as they don't really like water. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I have a unusual MS as she is mine.

However it made a change and the consensus is that a return trip is required so that a) we can find the Flashes and b) see what else is on site, as it's quite a large area and today we only walked about a third of it.

Anyway that was my day how was yours?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the weather has been a mixed today. Whilst I was in the garden this morning, it started to rain on a number of occasions, but each time it lasted no more than a few seconds, so I carried on. It was the same after, but this time it lasted longer, so I had to decamp to the workshop, where I did a bit of painting. It’s just started chucking it down again! 

Yesterday whilst Ava was here, I introduced her to some of Alex Harvey’s wonderful music, she was quite impressed, especially when I found some stuff on YouTube.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Just had a tip top paneer dish for lunch, the paneer was in a really rich mild but flavoursome sauce with a properly fiery dal with naan bread and rice. The Indian food here is South Indian with the influences of SE Asia (just as Anglo-Indian has influences of British tastes) so is very different from what we get in blighty, it's excellent and well worth trying for anyone passing through.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, polybear said:

Did you ever find out if there was any truth in it?

I just had a look on the world renowned interweb, and alas, it appears we shall never know:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2021/12/15/citing-delay-judge-clears-engineer-accused-of-offering-canadian-military-secrets-to-china.html

I knew the case went on for years but since I stopped hearing anything about it long ago I assumed it had been dropped or he'd been quietly shuffled off back to China or something. To wait 8 years for a trial is poor form, the law should hold wrong doers to account but justice should also be efficient and not leave people existing in legal limbo for so long. So I think the judge was quite right to boot the case, if the prosecution haven't been able to bring the case to court after 8 years then more fool them.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2