The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Buggerrattion, posted this on the wrong board ☹️.  It's all that bluddy Hippo's fault.  AGAIN......

It'll been due to all that organic LDC you recently scoffed at the alpine redoubt with the Capitan that caused it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

It'll been due to all that organic LDC you recently scoffed at the alpine redoubt with the Capitan that caused it.

Not this Bear - not had so much as a sniff for 23 days 21 hours ago.  Not that I'm counting.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Not this Bear - not had so much as a sniff for 23 days 21 hours ago.  Not that I'm counting.....

Erm…just a couple of questions Bear……so when is this cake fasting going to end then? …and is it going be a planned event or are you ‘just like gonna snap’ and nick a motor and ram raid your local Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose, M&S, Gregs, local bakers?, etc etc…in a cakey frenzy.

please note that other cake vendors and or cake wholesalers are available. 

• Like 17
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Erm…just a couple of questions Bear……so when is this cake fasting going to end then? …and is it going be a planned event or are you ‘just like gonna snap’ and nick a motor and ram raid your local Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose, M&S, Gregs, local bakers?, etc etc…in a cakey frenzy.

please note that other cake vendors and or cake wholesalers are available. 

The plan is for a month; I did quiver "somewhat" this morning when I spotted that their "Puff Pastry Mince Pies" were back in stock - with a deal if you buy two boxes.....

At least I can report that I'm back to my "Big C scare" weight of 73Kg though, which is bluddy good/unheard of for A Certain Bear.....

ION........

No comment necessary......though if that happens to me I'd be claiming "not of merchantable quality":

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/couple-furious-as-they-re-handed-17k-bill-for-driving-tesla-in-the-rain/ar-AA1ihAHA?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fd581419ea9e42148b195a407d8f45eb&ei=6

BG

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

The day started reasonably well as I carried on playing with Templot (it'll be a long slog.... not helped by the fact that Bear has a cr@p memory); later in the morning I carried out a recce to the Co-op for essential supplies before din dins.

I then took delivery of three items I'd ordered, one of which was damaged 🤬.  Now was it:

(a) a pack of five easily replaceable 0.8mm dia. Centre Drills?

or:

(b) five various MDF Jigs from EBMA Hobby - again easily replaceable?

or:

(c) a much awaited purchase off the 'bay, namely an extremely well constructed and finished (and very rarely seen example of) a kitbuilt Loco ?  

Fuggin' Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses  😭

BG.

IS this your house?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

And I was making the point that an engine designed for fuel oil will not (or would not then) run on gas without extreme risk.

Aside from legal/regulatory issues, a marine engine designed for oil will not run on gas. The fuel supply system is designed for oil and literally will not work with gas, ditto injection and ignition if somehow fuel got to the cylinders.

There are two basic types of gas engine at sea:

1. Gas Diesel engines, gas is injected at high pressure (circa.250-350Bar) and ignited by combusting a small amount of pilot diesel in the normal way. Combustion is very efficient but it needs a high pressure gas supply. On land that is a huge problem because compressing gas needs a lot of energy and big multi-stage compressors, at sea because gas is carried as LNG the pressure is lifted up in the liquid phase which needs a tiny fraction of the energy of gas compression. NOx emissions can be quite high, so NOx abatement is needed.; or

2. Gas Otto engines. Gas is mixed with air before admission into the cylinder at low pressure (<10Bar) and then ignited by either spark plugs or pilot oil injection (most marine gas engines are dual fuel). This avoids a high pressure gas system but combustion is significantly less efficient and methane slip is an issue. The flip side of lower combustion efficiency is NOx emissions are low so engines can meet NOx emission standards easily.

The issue isn't engines, it's everything else. Modern marine engines use the platform concept which dominates many fields of engineering. There's a base engine which can be built for various fuels and applications. So if you buy an oil engine, it is relatively easy (which of course is not the same as cheap) to convert it to operate with methane, or with other alternatives such as LPG or methanol. It doesn't even take long. What is much more expensive is fuel storage (especially cryogenic LNG tanks and LNG handling systems) and all the associated fuel systems and converting the engine room to meet regulations for gas fuelled engines etc. That is a much bigger job and seriously expensive. For liquid fuels like methanol it's not that bad as tanks can be re-purposed but it's very difficult to make a sensible case to convert ships from oil to LNG fuel. It's been done but I know at least one of the conversions was to make a political/environmental statement and that financially it was bonkers (the CEO of the container line concerned shared some pretty blunt opinions on it).

• Informative/Useful 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Off to see the GP regarding meds this morning. Going to be very stubborn.. as in.. if I don't need them.. why take them? As it seems that once you are on meds you can never get off them (having said that a locum GP visited my late grandma. On seeing a huge array of tablet bottles he proceeded to get rid of all bar 2 of them. a diuretic and her "heart" pill.. the rest just cancelled each other out. Grandma was devastated....pill count was seen as being part of bragging rights back then!)

I have had to replace some of the batteries in my alarms (they operate on mains power plus battery back up). Major problem was finding PP9 batteries.. then sorting out which one "bleeped".. pah!

@polybear  would advise against a huge cake gorging session..that sugar hit could be near fatal!

Nice list of items @iL Dottore..my problem would be finding time to make use of them regularly.  My lathe  ( a gift from a fellow ER) sees use 3 or 4 times a year.. I know it should be more but......

Time to get myself ready for a stroll to the Marie Celeste.. perhaps a coffee at Costa may be taken if time permits.

@NGT6 1315 is that why the train from Brussels went to Disney land by mistake?

Have a great day !

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spullung
  • Like 19