The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Nice sunny start to the morning, but as is so often the case in Telfland, it is now greying over, although the sun stil manages to make brief appearances from behind the clouds.

I'm in charge of emptying the washing machine this morning, followed by the deployment of the damp articles to appropriate hanging places dependent on the weather outside.  I learned long ago that it is pretty pointless hanging it out in the rain! 

Having been raised in the West Midlands, where if it looked as if it might rain it usually did, after moving to South Essex it took me a long time to realise that it was considerably less likely to here.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy birthday greetings to Phil and belated Pete.

It has rained - the heavy rain was running a couple of hours early and despite the racket didn't amount to much but every little drop helps (the weeds grow). Like HH I am trusted to empty the washing machine however as a past attempt at hanging out the washing was treated with derision for reasons beyond my understanding I take the simple approach of just leaving it in the washing basket - as i did yesterday (for which I received a 'good' - which I think meant 'good job you didn't try to hang it on the line').  Strange old world isn't it.

Things like the 7 July bombings can bring home to us all the horrors which the mindless can inflict on others - a set of terrible, and basically utterly pointless, mass murders.  And for the victims it is all very often no more than a matter of unfortunate happenstance which makes it so much terrible for us all.  I occasionally look back on 5 October 1999 and thank myself for getting up late, getting stuck in traffic, and missing my usual train to Paddington - just as no doubt others may have similar feelings about what they did or didn't do on that fateful July day 10 years ago, my sympathies are with them all. 

Have a good day one & all

Cloudy but sunny day here in Teignmouth.

Hopefully Ian won't be affected too much by the shenanigans today in the tunnel. Surely those Frenchies must realise that it is not just the UK that is being affected by the dismal failure of their police to prevent pedestrian access to the tunnel. I know they have several hundred years of wars to pay us back for but other European counties citizens are being disadvantaged.

Morning all and happy birthday Phil and Pete!

Back at Scottish HQ after 72 hours in Copenhagen (actually, technically about 70 hours in Copenhagen and a couple in Malmo (we decided to head across the Oresund Bridge by train on Saturday night - those of you who like the Nordic Noir genre will know The Bridge).  On Friday night GF and I went to Tivoli Gardens (a five minute walk from our hotel through the central station) and saw a Jamie Cullum concert.

Now back at work and feeling like I've never been away... joy... Thank goodness this is only a 3 day week for me!

• Like 14

Morning all,

Turned out fine, apart from the overcast sky and rain.

I'm now so many pages behind (again) that all I can do is offer blanket congrats and commiz to one and all. 

Text earlier from the school; would I mind going in and helping. Not at all. Slightly strange typing up one's own daughter's school report. But as a former civil servant I kept my brain entirely discrete and have absolutely no recollection of what the teacher said about her. 

Back home at the grind-stone now writing minutes of my last project meeting. Not sure about the correct lingo for: "The project manager, due to great inner strength of character, restrained himself from shoving his fist down a colleague's throat in order to call the meeting to order."  

Oh, the delights of a distributed team -  a colleague asked me to "pop over to Norfolk as you're sort of near there." Yeah, for sure, an eight hour round trip.   

I may need to call on AndrewC's talents to find an appropriate lexicon for this job!  

i note the sun has now come out, and all is well at Camp Granada.  :)

Have a nice day everyone.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy birthday greetings to Phil and belated Pete.

It has rained - the heavy rain was running a couple of hours early and despite the racket didn't amount to much but every little drop helps (the weeds grow). Like HH I am trusted to empty the washing machine however as a past attempt at hanging out the washing was treated with derision for reasons beyond my understanding I take the simple approach of just leaving it in the washing basket - as i did yesterday (for which I received a 'good' - which I think meant 'good job you didn't try to hang it on the line').  Strange old world isn't it.

Things like the 7 July bombings can bring home to us all the horrors which the mindless can inflict on others - a set of terrible, and basically utterly pointless, mass murders.  And for the victims it is all very often no more than a matter of unfortunate happenstance which makes it so much terrible for us all.  I occasionally look back on 5 October 1999 and thank myself for getting up late, getting stuck in traffic, and missing my usual train to Paddington - just as no doubt others may have similar feelings about what they did or didn't do on that fateful July day 10 years ago, my sympathies are with them all. 

Have a good day one & all

I was in Clerkenwell the day of the bombings. Luckily for me, starting work at 8am meant that  I was clear of the public trnasport system by the time it all happened. Unfortunately, so many othere weren't.

Getting back to the office was a half hour walk so only about 5 minutes longer than the underground.

After that day I walked between that project and the office till it was complete.

Text earlier from the school; would I mind going in and helping. Not at all. Slightly strange typing up one's own daughter's school report. But as a former civil servant I kept my brain entirely discrete and have absolutely no recollection of what the teacher said about her.

How quaint. I thought that these days teachers cut and pasted standard phrases from an ever-so helpful website and applied them as appropriate.

Elder Lurker's school has gone further. They make no comments about individual subjects, just grading them for effort, ability etc, and the form tutor making comments about how he needs to try harder in subjects like art and music for which he has almost zip ability and which he will drop at the first opportunity. And that he needs to be speaking out in class more often - the Lurking genes obviously run silent and deep. We used to worry until we learned of the website - which explained why the comments on his reports at primary school were so anodyne....!

To be fair, Younger Lurker's report this time had a section addressed to him which began "Wow, Younger Lurker, you've done really well" or words to that effect and a handwritten section from him telling us he liked doing about capacity.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Turned out fine, apart from the overcast sky and rain.

I'm now so many pages behind (again) that all I can do is offer blanket congrats and commiz to one and all. 

Back home at the grind-stone now writing minutes of my last project meeting. Not sure about the correct lingo for: "The project manager, due to great inner strength of character, restrained himself from shoving his fist down a colleague's throat in order to call the meeting to order."  

Oh, the delights of a distributed team -  a colleague asked me to "pop over to Norfolk as you're sort of near there." Yeah, for sure, an eight hour round trip.   

I may need to call on AndrewC's talents to find an appropriate lexicon for this job!  

i note the sun has now come out, and all is well at Camp Granada.   :)

Have a nice day everyone.

1.  Remember when daughter comes up with report not to explode on seeing various typos.

2.  I believe the wording you want is along these sort of lines - 'after in depth discussion covering a wide range of viewpoints ... ... '

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all. Scorchio is the word. Yet again. New t-storm warning for the night is in effect, just for good measure, I suppose!

Did quite a bit of driving today. First tour from the Volbedingstraße loop in Schönefeld...

dsc09991e2jya.jpg

…where 5001 was captured from the doorless side before I began driving.

Later, we explored the Plautstraße loop, which used to be a regular terminus for what today are Lines 8 and 15 before the extensions to Grünau-Nord and Miltitz, and is still used as a fall-back reversing loop in the event of disruptions...

dsc099959zjvf.jpg

…and where we were, by pure coincidence, joined by another training group who started about a month prior to us. We are going to drive an XXL, like the other group had, on Thursday!

From Plautstraße, I was again the person driving, down to Meusdorf at the southern end of Line 15. This ride included a practice emergency braking, which from 50 kph was quite impressive. Emergency brake means, full dynamic brakes (at 130% power on the T4Ds), full track brakes, and sand – complemented by the bell being triggered automatically.

I felt much more comfortable aboard the Tatra today and much more prepared to, shall we say, exploit its certified operating envelope, with our trainer acknowledging that this type generally takes trainees most in getting used to – mainly, indeed, due to the controller pedals.

I think I'll now see to relaxing a bit and will most likely be off to Mattress Listening Duty by 6 or 7 pm at the latest...

• Like 17

Aft'noon all,

Condolences to anyone with friends/relatives caught up in the 7/7 bombings....not a nice anniversary. 

The cancer centre experience could have been much worse....Is is to have 6 lots of medium strength chemo at 3 weekly intervals from next week. Followed by mastectomy and plating/pinning of hip area. Prognosis is for years rather than months. The seaside beckons.

Enjoy what you do

Dave  

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if there's such a thing as the one right response to what you related, Dave (TG), so I hope a big round of very best and supportive wishes will come at least close. Do let us know whenever there's anything you need to get off your chest!

Happy birthday Phil and Pete - better late than never...

After a busy but enjoyable weekend, manage to be overcome with "busy" yesterday and no time to get to posting <sigh>

Last couple of days in Minnesota has seen the effects of the 100+ wild fires in Alaska and Canada push smoke down over most of the state. The prevailing wind has been perfectly aligned to push all the carp slowly down across us from NW to SE. Yesterday the visibility was down to about 1.5 miles midday at the airport, the air quality was descried as between "Unhealthy for sensitive groups" to simply "Unhealthy for everyone"!!

I can attest to that as even grabbing the newspaper and mail from outside resulted in an awful taste in your mouth and tightening of your lungs! Fortunately, overnight and today the wind has increased and seems to have pushed all that carp away - for the moment - possibly returning later this week.

I HAD to get the post yesterday as it contained my latest purchase/win from eBay, 4 new Bachmann wagons w/Kadees for a paltry 14 quid - Yay! :senile:

Right now a delightful 14C clear skies and sunny, with a moderate breeze (keeping the carp away!), may manage 23 for a high, but we're told to expect 31-34 over the weekend.

May the farce be with you :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Back just to get caught up, and to wish Pete and Phil birthday greetings.

Also to thank Dave for the update, and the news which seems to be more favourable than it might have been - all the best to both of you and let's hope that the treatment brings the outcome that you are hoping for.

Meantime, a brief moan about the "compensation" that I have been offered for the run-around over the fridge, and that was 25 quid in the form of a voucher which can only be redeemed in store - not what I wanted, but I guess that I can use it to get some printer cartridges (probably only one black and one colour). 

Back tomorrow, Deo Volente.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Gold

I'm not putting a photo of Robbie on the forum today! He looked really smart and tidy this morning. After a walk in the park he looks like one of those dogs in the 'please sponsor me" adverts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We appear to have become part of a new cross-country course for the Joint Merlin helicopter training unit at Benson - we've had 4 (or the same pair twice?) pass around us in the last 15 minutes.

I recall when I lived at Hungerford on a large dairy farm, the local Yanks from Greenham used to practise low flying over my house in their twin rotor (Chinook?) jobbies. They were that low I'm confident they could read my lips when I advised them to   maybe practice elsewhere off and don't bother me

Matthew's primary school reports for a couple of years looked like those of Bart Simpson. Parent - Teacher evenings were somewhat tense.

Tony

I remember mine from secondary school. Bart would have been proud to have had them

• Like 5

Dave(TG) - It sounds like the prospective outcome is better than expected.

Gordon (bluebottle) - I tried several times to compose a post but failed miserably. The others have managed to say what I wanted to

• Like 1