The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

The sun has appeared but the forecast is for some heavy, perhaps thundery, rain followed later by some sunny intervals.

Her Lady Bossness has been deposited at work so peace has descended upon me for a little while. (No instructions have been left!) After yesterday's exertions I'm aching all over as expected so gentle exercise will be the order of the day. This may involve picking up railway rolling stock and placing it in on the layout!

Only one grandchild (Gemma) visiting after school today as Joe is away and Abbie is doing some work experience with her Dad.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

Morning All,

It is a very pleasant morning here at the moment. The temperature is due to climb to the very high 30s later on - however, for the moment we can enjoy the sun, cool breeze and blue sky.

Now - I wonder what Tuesday will bring?

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

A very best-kind of morning to all.

Been up for a bit, doing the spreadsheets for The Shop...

Daisy slept over last night. At home she's up several times in the night, won't sleep etc. Here, she's into bed and a few minutes later she's off. Sleeps like a log until I wake her. Child psychologists please form a queue...

Looks like we may have Rose for a bit as her mum is going into school to do an Internet Safety Awareness training session. Given that last year I was woken from a doze early one morning by Daisy requesting a Facetime chat at 8.30am (she was in England and I was in France, of course) because she was 'a bit bored, mummy's gone to work and Daddy's in the shower' I think maybe Daisy should be training her. Mind you, Daisy isn't good at answering her emails - she and her cousin (Henry) email each other from time to time.

Jock - gosh. Nailed it again. Gordon - I think a bit of grit got in my eye when I read your post.

Today's laugh-a-minute fun fest mostly involves taking a great heap of rubbish to the tip. Oh frabjous day.

Have a good one. I hope it's a day to savour.

• Like 18

Mornin' all,

Overcast, warm and just about dry in The Moorlands for the 05.50 kick off. Too warm for a showerproof, just in case, so I risked the wet look and made it around the short anticlockwise having collected only around 3 spots. Enjoyed the tennis yesterday...some of the shots in both the Murray and Djokovic games defied physics.

Now music by Pussycat.....Mississippi 

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

It's a bit dark outside due to a great black cloud overhead! Anyone going to York today..take a rain coat as I have ac game to umpire at the St Peter's week festival and the weather isn't looking too promising.

Hope you all have a great Tuesday!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cloudy, pleasantly warm at the moment. Rain is forecast.

Matthew is off to the opticians this morning and I am off to the dentist.

I don't think much else is happening today.

Tony

• Like 10

If I'd remembered this picture, I'd have posted it on Sunday, which would have been Liz's 57th birthday. I took it in October 2009, on our last trip together to the KWVR - she died in the following January. We usually managed a walk between train rides, and I'd noticed on the map a promising-looking ridge a mile or so on the other side of Oxenhope. It was a good call, with this nicely placed bench from which we enjoyed the view down the Bridgehouse Beck valley towards Haworth and Oakworth, Keighley being somewhere over the horizon in the top right corner. Luckily, Helen and Richard both like the Worth Valley (though we have to make sure there'll be a big engine running when we visit, to keep Richard happy!), so I have company still...

attachicon.gifLiz.jpg

A very significant picture, Gordon. My screen went a bit blurry too.

I did notice the sun striking the scene in the distance and thought maybe there was a message there.

• Like 16

Slightly less cool this morning but still overcast. We managed to avoid the showers on our morning walk where we had the beach almost to ourselves.

Yesterday was wet pretty much most of the day but cleared up early evening when I had to go off to a meeting, so a blank day in the garden. It looks like pretty much the same today.

The backscene for Worseter is supposed to arrive today. I have my fingers crossed that it will have turned out OK! 

Thoughts today with those who suffered as a result of 7/7. Most mornings, my son would probably have been on one of the trains that was attacked but fortunately he was running late that day. We didn't realise that at the time but it was a very worrying time until we had a phone call later in the day.

Edited by Killybegs

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

I too would have commented on various posts here, but as usual, Jock has (a) beaten me to it, and (b ) done it better than I ever could.  The day that he found RMWeb and ERs and other threads was a lucky day for all of us.  It pleases me to have him as a virtual friend, and I'd love to share a nightcap with him in the real world.....

Fridge actually arrived within the original time estimate, and the delivery men told me that the times were changed as they were given two deliveries for Kendal at short notice, which would normally have been done by a different van.  Oh, the logistics of modern delivery leave me cold - delivering to most of the North West from one depot in Skelmersdale seems lunacy, as it relies on the motorways being clear and running - a rare event indeed, particularly on the M6.  It does appear that many large operations rely on serving this area from Manchester - whatever happened to the old idea of having a local depot, with vans that served a local area, and drivers who knew that area well enough to sort out their own deliveries based on local knowledge and their own initiative, rather than a fixed route, SatNav, and no discretion.  Once, I ordered a kitchen appliance which was the ex-display model, and was to be delivered ex-store.  It was collected by a van from the store, and taken to a warehouse in Stainforth (about 80 miles away), where it was processed for delivery, loaded onto another van, and then delivered to my home.  Total distance from shop to me = 5 miles.  Total distance covered by appicance = 160 + lunacy  and the original van actually would have passed within half a mile of me.

Now tasked with doing the shopping (again) and have to go to three shops to get everything that we want - Asda, Aldi and Morrisons - wow what fun.

School run should be finished soon, so I'd best get on, and will be back later, perhaps.

Oh yes, and retirement does seem to be a tool for blurring the perception of the days of the week.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

Morning all, thoughts with Dave (TG).

And thoughts on those who suffered on 7/7 - I attended a breakfast meeting on the strand and then tried to make my way to the West End on the tube, only to be told there had been a "power outage". The fact that the phrase meant nothing to me and that there was general confusion led me to assume the worst. I couldn't get a bus so I walked to the office in Upper Brook Street. I guess I was lucky but in reality I was not really near danger that day.

If I'd remembered this picture, I'd have posted it on Sunday, which would have been Liz's 57th birthday. I took it in October 2009, on our last trip together to the KWVR - she died in the following January. We usually managed a walk between train rides, and I'd noticed on the map a promising-looking ridge a mile or so on the other side of Oxenhope. It was a good call, with this nicely placed bench from which we enjoyed the view down the Bridgehouse Beck valley towards Haworth and Oakworth, Keighley being somewhere over the horizon in the top right corner. Luckily, Helen and Richard both like the Worth Valley (though we have to make sure there'll be a big engine running when we visit, to keep Richard happy!), so I have company still...

attachicon.gifLiz.jpg

Gordon, please accept my sincere apologies for initially funny rating. Due wholly to touch screen unresponsiveness, honest! :)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Today is my birthday (67), still counting, and still able to count.

Happy Birthday. It takes me about a year to get my age correct when asked. I'm better at Robbie's age, as "how old is he?" is a common question.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all from the Hundred of Mansbridge. A bit dull and damp.

Happy Birthday Phil!

I turned 67 yesterday but didn't manage to post on here due to a busy-ish day. It included two meetings and lunch out in a café, not a type of establishment I'm really used to; there were no beer pumps. I managed a couple of beers later.

I have to go out shortly so have a good day.

Pete

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Nice sunny start to the morning, but as is so often the case in Telfland, it is now greying over, although the sun stil manages to make brief appearances from behind the clouds.

I'm in charge of emptying the washing machine this morning, followed by the deployment of the damp articles to appropriate hanging places dependent on the weather outside.  I learned long ago that it is pretty pointless hanging it out in the rain! 

I now have to sort out one of the new guns that decided to stop working on Saturday afternoon.

I know what the problem is, and it's an easy fix, but something that needs 16 fingers and a blast of air from my compressor.

Salutations to Phil.

• Like 14

Happy birthday boys…. :drink_mini:

Started catching up on missed TV last night.  Anyone watching 'Humans' on Channel 4?  Kept my attention for an hour or so.  Sci Fi set in the current time with some rather attractive robot/human clones.

The mind boggled for a while... :no:

Reminded me of 'Westworld' from all those years ago.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Started catching up on missed TV last night.  Anyone watching 'Humans' on Channel 4?  

I have recorded the series but haven't watched it yet

Tony

• Like 3