The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Golly, Rick, you sure caught a bad one… Be well, soon!

Generic best wishes to everyone else in need of them at this time, too. Cream crackered on this end as it feels like I have to catch up on some sleep I missed during the recent heat wave...

Belated greetings. I seem to have picked up the lurgy from Baby Squid via the Missus. Fun times all round. Especially as Baby Squid, despite coughing and snivelling, is refusing to be properly ill and sleep exhaustedly, oh no it's all "hey Daddy can we play you-support-me-under-my-armpits-while-I-jump-up-and-down-on-your-nether-regions?" Tough little blighter.

Talking of which, I worked for a time in a place called Krung Thep, better known as Bangkok. Made for some very interesting people-watching. More recently I find myself often skirting (in the locational, not sartorial sense) Tokyo's somewhat notorious Kabukicho district (for legitimate reasons, the terminus of my local railway line is located on one edge) and am fairly regularly made propositions by gentlemen of the persuasion to have my unmentionables serviced in some fashion, to which I can only respond "By you? No thanks!!?!".

Back on more solid ground, I did finally manage to find time to play tetris with the model railway room office to make space to commit woodworking crimes against some IKEA shelving for purposes of model trains, running of, and it's looking likely I might actually be able to fix some track in place before the decade is out.

On the weather front, season rain continues, bringing the temperature down to a chilly 20 deg C.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And the good news from me is that my PSA test is satisfactory which is why I never heard from them.

I ran out of woodworm killer earlier (didn't buy a big can because of B & Q's extortionate price) so I've now ordered from a trade supplier but they don't stock the one I want so will order it in. It may come tomorrow but I'm not really bothered as my knees ache so much now I think I'll need a day off anyway!

Time to break out the London Pride I think. :yes:  :drinks:

• Like 7

Warning: Politics Alert.

I don't understand (or, if I'm honest) care much about it but I will be glad when they stop saying GREXIT. There, that's better.

Ed

I understand that all future € notes are to be made from Greece proof paper.

Am I glad that groan button doesn't exist.

Suitcase packed, flight booked and off on mi hols :D (Greece)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Talking of bollards.........back in the seventies some of the lads from work took part in a charity race dressed as babies and in prams. One of the prams hit a kerb at breakneck speed sending its 15 stone passenger somersaulting onto a bollard and he crushed one of his and had to have it removed and was subsequently off work for many weeks.

Oooh - Hands up those of you who winced!

Well at least he had another one. :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Much excitement in the town where nothing happens today. Police cars, helicopter. I didn't see armed officers or any police dogs but others did. Getaway car dumped in our road. People get confused as there isn't a sign at the end to indicate that it is a no through road! Arrests were made according to Twitter.

Evening all. Well I have not officially started the new job yet but I already have issues to clear up. A bit of a difficult situation so I don't want to go into too much detail. It could become awkward, but will also be an interesting challenge. I have already started work on planning ways to tackle thus issue. I just wish I could sort the problem with Sarah and my parents. This situation remains unchanged.

If I'd remembered this picture, I'd have posted it on Sunday, which would have been Liz's 57th birthday. I took it in October 2009, on our last trip together to the KWVR - she died in the following January. We usually managed a walk between train rides, and I'd noticed on the map a promising-looking ridge a mile or so on the other side of Oxenhope. It was a good call, with this nicely placed bench from which we enjoyed the view down the Bridgehouse Beck valley towards Haworth and Oakworth, Keighley being somewhere over the horizon in the top right corner. Luckily, Helen and Richard both like the Worth Valley (though we have to make sure there'll be a big engine running when we visit, to keep Richard happy!), so I have company still...

post-7286-0-00579000-1436221754_thumb.jpg

Evening all,

Another run-around day today - I'll be glad when Joanna completes her physio-therapy (if it works!) on the damaged shoulder. Still, Friday week sees us off for the short holiday in Suffolk that our wonderful kids have arranged!

Dick terribly sorry to hear about your loss - this nasty illness has a habit of lulling folk into a false sense of security before biting back! Some respites are shorter than others - our thoughts go out to you and Mrs Smith.

Sherry, thanks for some much needed good news - that sounds like an exceptional surgeon!

Good news too from Baz whose health seems to be going in the right direction, and from grandadbob whose result must have come as a relief. Well done fellows!

Rick, seems like you have picked up a monster of a bug mate, fingers crossed you start to improve soon.

Dave(TG), please tell Is that Joanna and I will be thinking of her at the chemo ward tomorrow. The ladies and lads who have looked after me for over two years now, truly are angels and we hope she doesn't find the experience too stressful. As to hackers, I hate them with a vengeance! I am lucky to have a brother and a son who are both expert in IT security, but the protection they installed has recognised and eliminated at least three 'threats' in the last couple of years. You simply can't be too careful and time spent using the free clean-up utilities (including Microsoft's own if you are on Windows) is time well spent.

station cat, I do hope your hand is back to normal soon - the Stationmaster will be missing all your assistance in the garden?

Funny that Richard and Stewart should mention the 'glazed look' - it happens here too! Joanna can't understand my deeply ingrained love of steam, nor my interest in engineering excellence. She has even been known to say 'what do you need a model railway for?'

Dom, hope the first test went well - please keep us up to date with your progress.

Ian(OD), safe journey in the morning, I expect that the West Countries loveliest chorister is looking forward to your arrival in anticipation.

Tuesday tomorrow - I hope the week goes well for all of you,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 17

Well another not so early rise here. Though today is ride on Puffing billy day! All decided at slow speed yesterday elder DougN said ok, miss DougN went "alright " so we are off on another day that feels like a Sunday... This will be my Third in a row! I wonder if I will get any modelling done? This holidaying at home is really good. Mind you the weather isn't kind to out door activities... Is is damp and between 7 and 14 today.

Back to our crazy Beagal... He is not even looking to see if any one gets up from his kennel the off leash park really took it out of him... He is also totally confused by the total change in the normal routine. SWMBO fed him this morning... His world will be upside down. Yesterday when doing some late hedge trimming he just stood in the middle of us looking confused...I could tell his mind was going... They are all home...why.. The kids aren't going to the school the male one usually goes some where early in the morning and comes back late. The female one stays home and I stop her eating by barking at her... Now the male one is home and the female one is gone in the morning and back late... Now this is all wrong.....

Any how I hope everyone's health improves!

• Like 16

If I'd remembered this picture, I'd have posted it on Sunday, which would have been Liz's 57th birthday. I took it in October 2009, on our last trip together to the KWVR - she died in the following January. We usually managed a walk between train rides, and I'd noticed on the map a promising-looking ridge a mile or so on the other side of Oxenhope. It was a good call, with this nicely placed bench from which we enjoyed the view down the Bridgehouse Beck valley towards Haworth and Oakworth, Keighley being somewhere over the horizon in the top right corner. Luckily, Helen and Richard both like the Worth Valley (though we have to make sure there'll be a big engine running when we visit, to keep Richard happy!), so I have company still...

attachicon.gifLiz.jpg

Gordon(bluebottle), that is an intensely moving image and post. I had no idea about your loss and from your words, you enjoyed each other's company looking over such wonderful scenery - the photograph provides a lovely memory. Although they say that time heals, I'm sure your emotions catch you out from time to time. You are brave to revisit that area and it is delightful that you have such company (which I assume is your children) on the journey. I am touched that you are brave enough to have shared it with your digital friends.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hump tomorrow? I must have lost a day!

Thanks Andy,

One of the big problems of retirement (or is it senility setting in?) is that you lose track of the days - my life is ebbing fast enough without me helping it. I'm off to edit the post!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks Andy,

One of the big problems of retirement (or is it senility setting in?) is that you lose track of the days - my life is ebbing fast enough without me helping it. I'm off to edit the post!

Kind regards,

Jock.

And here was me hoping there were less days until the summer holiday. Oh well 14, not 13 days to go. And totally agree about Gordon's picture. Such special memories should be cherished.

• Like 5

Greetings from the future, where I can confirm the majority of Tuesday has still yet to happen.

Brain is feeling much brighter this morning even though body is still complaining. Still, nothing much to moan about on the grand scale of things. Baby Squid still has a bit of a cough but is nevertheless bright and perky again and practicing important skills for his future life such as banging a wooden teething ring on the table. With that I bid the night owls a good night and those of the early persuasion a good morning.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Weather had turned quite warm and sunny again by noon yesterday, so I'm sat here with the balcony door open to let in some cool(ish) night air. Forecast predicts well over 30°C for today once again, supposedly followed by another round of big-time thunder.

Another turn on training car 5001 planned for today. It did take some getting used to it, with the pedal controllers (as mentioned) having been the most unusual item! I did drive two rounds on 5001 yesterday and on the second round felt more comfortable with it already, though. That being said, there are no two cars really alike, of course!

Have a good one, everyone...

• Like 9