Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Nice day has been had in Edinburgh.

Bus into City Centre, a stroll up to the Castle, a walk around the city centre, then a bus tour around the City.

Excellent meal had with Gabe. Her and my other half could talk the back legs of a donkey.

I remember now why I like Edinburgh!

Only problem was the bus back as the driver wouldn't stop at the right stop..he said he hadnt seen he was supposed to stop. Pah! I nearly called him a Sassenach as a good part Highlander would.

And..no possibility of buying anything including cumming tartan...pah!

Finger crosed for the radiotherapy tomorrow for Sandy John..

Very positive thoughts to all who ail!

Baz

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Evening all, a dry and breezy day, so spent a lot of it on the "G" word, grass cut again hoping for the last time this season, but the mower is not yet serviced and put away just in case. Grandsons safely back in Perth, so normal service is now re instated, so possibly some muddling this week, though if it's fine tomorrow I might go into the hills again looking for the Deer rut with my camera.

Wishing good things for Sandy and John all who are under the weather.

G'night all

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, Barry O said:

Nice day has been had in Edinburgh.

Bus into City Centre, a stroll up to the Castle, a walk around the city centre, then a bus tour around the City.

Excellent meal had with Gabe. Her and my other half could talk the back legs of a donkey.

I remember now why I like Edinburgh!

Only problem was the bus back as the driver wouldn't stop at the right stop..he said he hadnt seen he was supposed to stop. Pah! I nearly called him a Sassenach as a good part Highlander would.

And..no possibility of buying anything including cumming tartan...pah!

Finger crosed for the radiotherapy tomorrow for Sandy John..

Very positive thoughts to all who ail!

Baz

Last time I was in Edinburgh was in May 1970 on my way from Portsmouth to the Scottish Six Days Motor Cycle Trials in Fort William, but the event Started in Edinburgh Cattle Market.

My mate and I arrived on the Sunday night in my Ex Co-op Ford Thames Van, with no spare food other than a packet of chocolate biscuits. Shops didn't open in Scotland on Sundays back in those days, and we eventually found a Copper and asked where we could park up. He directed us up to the Cattle Market, and that is where we spent a very long, hungry and cold night.

The following Friday night we stopped off at Glasgow on our way home and parked outside of Woolworths in Sauchiehall St, and on the Saturday morning opened the back doors and sat outside in a pair of camp chairs and cooked our fry up alongside the pavement, and no one seemed to take any notice at all as they went about their business.

Now try that today, haha.:yes:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 17

As you all may know, I cannot watch Wales live, as they always lose when I do.  (I've watched 2 minutes in 2019, suring which we shipped two tries).  So watched the highlights. 

Looked for a fixed telephone and there was just one in John Lewis.  I'd better buy it.  The next item to die is my vacuum cleaner, still works but is very much knackered.  And only a decade old!  Any recommendations, other than Dyson which I won't buy on principal.

Bill

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Last time I was in Edinburgh was in May 1970 on my way from Portsmouth to the Scottish Six Days Motor Cycle Trials in Fort William, but the event Started in Edinburgh Cattle Market.

My mate and I arrived on the Sunday night in my Ex Co-op Ford Thames Van, with no spare food other than a packet of chocolate biscuits. Shops didn't open in Scotland back in those days, and we eventually found a Copper and asked where we could park up. He directed us up to the Cattle Market, and that is where we spent a very long, hungry and cold night.

The following Friday night we stopped off at Glasgow on our way home and parked outside of Woolworths in Sauchiehall St, and on the Saturday morning opened the back doors and sat outside in a pair of camp chairs and cooked our fry up alongside the pavement, and no one seemed to take any notice at all as they went about their business.

Now try that today, haha.:yes:

Well, for a start Woolies is long gone and you wouldn't be able to ride you bike. It's pedestrians only now. ;)

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, Debs. said:

`Off to The Christie in Mancunia tomorrow and as usual, Mum's coming along for morale support and to ensure my purse is adequately depleted at lunchtime in the staff and patient's refectory; even though I may have little appetite, she surely makes up for it! :mocking_mini:

Would that make you The Mancunian Candidate?

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. John, I hope Sandy's radiotherapy goes well tomorrow. I got a card from Tesco the other day entitling me to double Clubcard points. I intended to purchase an external hard drive so I did today and boosted my points total at the same time. Not a lot to do this weekend, my friend is taking his lad to Darlington for the weekend though I might pop down to the Canvey transport museums open day on Sunday.

• Like 13

49 minutes ago, bbishop said:

The next item to die is my vacuum cleaner, still works but is very much knackered.  And only a decade old!  Any recommendations,

It's a sad state of affairs. The old cast pot metal and Bakelite Hoovers lasted for decades. The new vacs are all designed to conk-out PDQ. I'd just buy the cheapest one you can find so you won't care too much when you have to dump it. And as for Dyson.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AndyID said:

It's a sad state of affairs. The old cast pot metal and Bakelite Hoovers lasted for decades. The new vacs are all designed to conk-out PDQ. I'd just buy the cheapest one you can find so you won't care too much when you have to dump it. And as for Dyson.....

It’s pretty much the same for any electrical appliance, washing machines in particular. We usually buy a decent make but never buy the extended warranty. When the engineer (term used very loosely) finally calls, after waiting for at least a week, they never have the right spare part. This will have to be ordered and will take at least another week to get here. Only then can a second appointment be made to fit said spare part, which generally takes another week. After factoring the costs of using the launderette for 2-3 weeks etc, it can work out cheaper to simply go out and buy another machine and get them to take away the old one. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The day went very well considering Sheila doesn’t like have tests done on her eyes. We left hospital with a bag containing some medication that Sheila will need to start taking before her op as well as a date for her first op, which is very early morning on 2 November, a Saturday, so hopefully the traffic will be very quiet then. 

We got home just after 1 o’clock, just in time for some dinner! After which we then both sat and had a quiet afternoon until it was time to pick up the twins from school. Tonight we only had Evie and Max round for tea, Ava has a very bad cough and has been off school today, so she stayed at home with her dad tonight. 

We’ve also stayed in ‘The Judge’s Lodgings’ and very nice it was too.

Deb’s, I hope all goes well at ‘The Christie’ it’s my turn to go there next month!

Goodnight all 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Looked for a fixed telephone and there was just one in John Lewis.  I'd better buy it.  The next item to die is my vacuum cleaner, still works but is very much knackered.  And only a decade old!  Any recommendations, other than Dyson which I won't buy on principal.

Bill

Tony S recommended a Miele to us - good recommendation - 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bbishop said:

As you all may know, I cannot watch Wales live, as they always lose when I do.  (I've watched 2 minutes in 2019, suring which we shipped two tries).  So watched the highlights. 

Bill

Vacuum cleaners (as I know nothing about rugby). We have three. In the garage for clearing up after diy we have a Vax which is a bit like a Henry but can cope with liquids. It is ok. We have a 15 year old Miele Cat and Dog cylinder vacuum cleaner. However while it is very very good you can’t get one quite like it now as it had a 2.2kW motor. Aditi thought we shouldn’t be dragging a cleaner up the stairs so decided we should get an upright cleaner for upstairs. So having been pleased with the Miele we went to try their upright.  It was very heavy. We bought a Sebo. It looks a bit old fashioned but works well. Both are cleaners with bags. We had a Dyson once, I hated it.  

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Update from Sean's Sauna: I may have overloaded the stove slightly. It's now 23C and still climbing.

Bram Stoker.

I think that shows that, as a stoker, you're a brammer!

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A couple of things in the air around here today.

A tethered blimp taking pictures from a couple of hundred feet up. I'd guess they're for promotional material for a new housing development. (The wires behind the blimp are transmission lines on the hills in the background, nothing to do with the blimp.)

IMG_2322.JPG.6c68bad658283fdf2f0a545517cf5e40.JPG

Proof that we still have humming birds around. Actually, since people keep feeders out all winter, some of them stay year round now.

2044776688_IMG_2325copy.JPG.70a87e4edca10fa3eb4a3bb41a632ebf.JPG

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We have a 15 year old Miele Cat and Dog cylinder vacuum cleaner. However while it is very very good you can’t get one quite like it now as it had a 2.2kW motor. Aditi thought we shouldn’t be dragging a cleaner up the stairs so decided we should get an upright cleaner for upstairs. So having been pleased with the Miele we went to try their upright. 

So it's "Miele Cat and Dog Vac; Reigns supreme!" .........or perhaps that should be rains? :mosking:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1