Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Years ago I had a Renault Scenic. The battery was under the driver’s seat and like Dom’s car there was a positive connection( under a red plastic cover ) in the engine compartment. I managed to convince a relative that  the car didn’t have a starter battery but that there was a big clockwork motor wound up as the car went along ready to start it next time.

Well, I guess flywheel energy storage devices might at least come close! :jester:

The customer service assistant at the garage said that as a rule of thumb, you should consider replacing the 12 V battery roughly every five years, but that like in so many cases, „it depends“, and that batteries lasting as long as ours aren’t that uncommon actually. I read that the battery must be able to provide a high short-term peak power boost for booting the control systems, and aside from that provides accessory power for interior lighting, audio and other such systems with the HE propulsion system inactive.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Years ago I had a Renault Scenic. The battery was under the driver’s seat and like Dom’s car there was a positive connection( under a red plastic cover ) in the engine compartment. I managed to convince a relative that  the car didn’t have a starter battery but that there was a big clockwork motor wound up as the car went along ready to start it next time.

Thats a wind up.

10 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Mean Mr Hippo has a certain ring to it

Should I get Andy Y to change my name?:laugh_mini:

There must be a lot of people after you then? (debt collectors, police etc.)

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Mean Mr Mustard, Mean Mr Hippo and Polythene Pam got together one day to go Beatle hunting in the woods.....

You should be a writer of nursery rhymes! :jester: Or are you?

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Today's lunchtime - weathering wagons

Tomorrow's lunchtime - adding iron bars to the couplings

Friday lunchtime - dunno yet, possibly starting the 'Industry Cakebox Challenge' entry, which of course will be in my usual odd style :)

Saturday  & Sunday - exhibiting Tinner's Forge at Bodmin.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

You should be a writer of nursery rhymes! :jester: Or are you?

That would be another string to my bow Dom. I suppose I could do a politically correct children’s version and a somewhat more “racy” style to be posted in unmarked brown envelopes :D:D

• Funny 17

Greetings all from LBG, thoughts are with John and Sandy.

Another project has materialised. Apparently it has a 48 hour turnaround. Believe that when you see it!

Mrs  Lurker has a nasty cough but today is not a day she works so she at least has a chance to relax slightly without reception children coughing all over her!

Mother in law visits tomorrow - originally she was coming down to cover Younger Lurker for a training day on Friday but the TAs no longer have to attend (it seems that the idea of giving them all time off in lieu to attend is impractical because most of them provide 1 to 1 support. If they're off, the support is not there. And the head does not want to pay for them to attend; not when she can authorise spend on a number of 3d printers which have all sat unused since purchase.....!

Anyway it gives Mrs Lurker time to spend with her Mum and means I am not wondering how I will deal with a 48 hour turnaround when I can't be in the office!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Interesting that how in maths mean and average are the same but quite different if a person is described as being mean or average. 

This reminds me of how English "empathy" and Greek "empátheia" are linguistic cognates where the Greek expression but means essentially the opposite, i.e., malice!

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Jemma is off to San Francisco today (actually awaiting takeoff as I speak/type) on the first of two observation flights, before her first actual flight as First Officer on Monday

You have to be very proud of Jemma Ian. My 13-y-o grandson has in mind to be a commercial pilot too but we’ll see how things change over the next six or seven years.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I suppose it looked similar to this, Tony?

BE6ACDCA-1193-4BD3-8E85-19D9F27E95CA.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Train to London delayed. Train broke down at Outwood.  The control team hung the customer service team at Leeds station out today. .no updates.

Eventually got to King's Cross on a lovely Mark VI set.

Trip to Harrods completed. Special Christmas pudding procured.  Cup of coffee purchased..it was HOW MUCH????  But it was nice. 

Now off on a very slow train to St Evenage 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spullchkcr
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Last week I had to miss club night due to a heavy cold. As the club had been closed due to building repair work I haven't attended for four weeks. Also I have some important information to give to the treasurer so I've got to get there tonight.

4 hours ago, Professor Yaffle said:

Can I just send my sympathy to Simon of the Rail Riders following his accident with the drill.

I don't know anyone else who would have been so ham fisted with a power tool....      ....oh wait....

But it may not have been caught on camera :) 

We of course know better.:whistle: (Lifted from GMRC thread.)

4 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Mean Mr Mustard, Mean Mr Hippo and Polythene Pam got together one day to go Beatle hunting in the woods.....

What else did they get up to in the woods?:jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

The hump. Is over thankfully..

Nearly forgot to deposit SWMBOs car for its MOT, its going to be expensive,  it's major service and cam belt time. 

Major system. Handed back, 

Only managed 2 of the large value resistors as there was a update of their spreadsheets required, requiring much line by line transfer of data using copy and paste... 

I must do the current shunts tomorrow,  then if I can find the time  I'll do the other two high value resistors Friday. 

Slightly happier with the return of those boxes to their owner,  my boss has had words with he who was doing the returning , and got him to Explain to the owner the problems with their boxes. 

Apple and blackbury pie made from produce of the garden with custard about to arrive... Bye for now.. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I don't know, but there's a Norwegian who wood

Edited by BSW01
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Polythene Pam and Mr Mean, the Hippo they did follow,

He led them down a steep ravine and found a muddy hollow.

Need I go on?

I mean, for me the story ends right there!

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

Well, after much bovine sh!t from The Land Registry covering their ineptitude, we have got contracts exchanged and an end date for our huge loan!

That may leave me free to wander down to an arctic arboretum and spend time with some female company, knowing she would. Then again, progress on Kingzance has been almost non-existent recently (apologies for introducing a Railway modelling element into the conversation) and I might have to go for a prior medical if I was on such a promise.

None of that ignores the ongoing thoughts for those suffering and particularly the horrid stresses facing John and Sandy.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

John and Sandy, Debs and Sharon all occupying my thoughts.  I wish all as well as can be.

A miserable day (relatively, of course given the above) at work, two staff off poorly, half a delivery missing, etc etc.  Some days it is just :mad_mini:  :banghead:   Some semi retirement.  The young offenders team was never like this.  Oh hang on......:yes: 

On a more positive note the Dingham coupling pack has turned up, and a Zimo decoder for the pannier tank too. Whatever decoder I pinched from one of my US Diseasels doesn't seem to run so well in it.  Loco runs well on DC so a more sophisticaked decoder may be the cure.

Mrs NHN's old shape Picasso also had the battery under the seat and a positive pole connector under the bonnet for jump starting issues - never needed in 180,000 miles of motoring.  The new shape one...errrr never looked!  It's too new for me to get my hands dirty on is my excuse.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4