The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

I reckon California... 

https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/local/california-great-yarmouth

Mooring Awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

6 hours  solid sleep, I'll try for more,.

I'm heading for the sailing club at 09:00, for crane meetings  followed by  the Rememrance flag lowering. 

61O1RKhnoqL._UY395_.jpg

Umm... Have you read this? https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7658865/fake-poppy-british-legion-cheetham-hill-manchester-remembrance-sunday/

Best to buy a proper British Legion poppy so the money goes to support ex-service men and women.

• Agree 15

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Smiffy2 said:

Umm... Have you read this? https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7658865/fake-poppy-british-legion-cheetham-hill-manchester-remembrance-sunday/

Best to buy a proper British Legion poppy so the money goes to support ex-service men and women.

That was over a year ago according to the time stamp on the page.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

Afternoon all. Not been around for a couple of days. The firework display went well. No injuries* and a well appreciated display. 48 weeks till we start prepping for next year's display. Might have recovered by then - it certainly is hard work. 

* technically not quite true.  We use stiff single strand copper wire as the fire control lines. Whilst twisting a pair together I managed to get the wire to go into my thumb. Ironically the only cake that didn't go off was that one. I'm thinking the connection was probably interrupted by a layer of blood. :butcher:

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, AndyID said:

I was prone to upchucking in the car which might have something to do with why my dad liked to buy new cars. (MrsID is similarly afflicted. There's a little ranch between the highway and here that we call "Upchuck Farm".)

I blame my problem on dad's Bulwark Cut Plug.

We never had a family car.  Neither parent ever held a driving licence.  Dad drove in the North African Desert during his National Service but they never asked him for any documents to prove he could steer a Jeep across miles of open desert!  Mother never drove - and neither did either of her parents - until in her late 70s when she decided it might be a beneficial skill to have in emergency.  She obtained a Provisional and placed L-plates on my sister's car ......... which she wrapped around a tree two minutes later writing both vehicle and tree off while attempting her first ever right turn.  It was her last and that was the extent of her driving career.  

So I grew up in an environment where any car trip was a rarity.  My sister was dreadfully travel-sick and couldn't safely take the bus the five-minute ride to or from school.  I was better and managed up to around half an hour before feeling squirmy.  But in cars it was different.  If friends were taking us anywhere we were both dosed with Marzine and provided with sick bags.  We have both grown out of that particular embuggerance.  Me as I got older and enjoyed my hobby of bus travel; ever-longer trips were found to be bearable and ultimately quite safe.  My sister wasn't free until she started driving for herself.  

I can't blame any of that on Dad's Balkan Sobranie or what ever brand of s**g ?("insert the name of a bird similar to a cormorant) he was able to afford that week. Simply because we were never all together in a car where he could smoke nor did we often venture far by bus meaning the pipe remained unlit, though was perfectly legal in those days, in case he needed to deal with child emergencies.  

• Like 19

3 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I'm tempted to suggest that hell might freeze over before the original perpetrator of the remark installs the app; I could be wrong!

You talkin' 'bout me?  Well I csn'y, because my mobilethingummywhatsit doesn't do apps.

Bill

• Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We could always use the site of New Zealand sidings in Lancaster.

Or the cafe in Sainsbury's which is on the site of the old Lancaster Green Ayre shed - I believe that the turntable pit was somewhere just before the main entrance to the shop

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 hours ago, chrisf said:

To Tolworth, then, Much later, Bill and I gathered in the Surbiton 'Spoons for a pint or three or four.  We were joined by Paul Tasker who is Prickley Pear Products and the world was duly put to rights including a gentleman (not on RMWeb to the best of my knowledge) who had the temerity to ring me whilst we were maligning his knowledge of the SECR.  And no, I didn't answer it, 'cos I don't.  It would only to find out if I were going to Tolworth today.

Chris

Comments in red (ish).  Bill

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Judge Dread said:

There is a "Sutton-upon-Hull" just up the road from here. Does that count for anything?

There are Suttons, Nortons, Westons and Eastons all over the place. I suspect that they must be the most common UK place names but I am not getting the Gazeteer out to check! There are also quite a lot of Eastwicks, Southwicks and Northwicks (including Norwich). But I don't think that I have come across a Westwick, although I lived for some years in West Wickham.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
typo
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

You talkin' 'bout me?  Well I csn'y, because my mobilethingummywhatsit doesn't do apps.

Bill

If the cap fits, etc. etc.

The inferred perpetrator has already made his views known on this subject in his usual manner!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11