The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening everyone,

Not done much today so have managed to keep relatively up to date with what’s been going on in RMWeb land. It’s not as scarey as the world outside.

Been for walk with Syd and he’s here for a sleepover. Didn’t get any paperwork done and bank statement has arrived. I usually check my work off against the the statement when the statement arrives but I haven’t even started my bit yet. Must try harder! (Story of my life!)

Im starting to think about our ‘summer holiday’ and just don’t know what to do/ where to go. I read in the news that holidays are being booked up left right and centre. I’m not sure whether just to give it a miss this year or wait and try to book something late @vailabilty later in the year when things seem more settled. But then there may not be much to choose! Arrrgh. 

Goodnight,

Robert

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The work on the bench has progressed very well today. This morning I managed to get 1 coat of primer on the stays and the outer side of the ends. I also gave the remaining 6 slats their first coat. After dinner I managed to get another coat on everything that I’d painted this morning.

Then, just as I was cleaning my paint brush, the 2 new soldering irons I ordered on Friday arrived. These were swiftly unpacked and a quick visit to the workshop followed so I could check that they worked ok. As expected, all was fine so they were left to cool down, ready for use. 

After tea I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, as is the norm for this time of day, it was very quiet and I was able to procure all that was on my shopping list. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Too many people seems to be problematical!  Now what happens?:o

Brian.

Always been the same Brian - going right back to the 1960s when i was first involved in timekeeping investigations.  Passengers from Newbury aren't the only ones who should have whistles blown at them.  On the other hand when i was involved in timetable process overhaul in Aus back in the early years of this century :blink:   the booked station dwell time on the Sydney City Circle was 18 seconds and from doing a bit of monitoring of my own it wasn't hard to keep to it .  But even before I got stuck into their timetabling process they'd already decided to increase peak time dwells at the busiest station in the CBD (Central Business District) and they planned to double it to 36 seconds during the peak periods, which they did at the next timetable change.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

... I do not want a slack handful of useless coinage living in my sock drawer for ages afterwards.

4 hours ago, brianusa said:

The biggest culprit for small change (even Pounds) is the UK.  Its even difficult to get rid of it at Heathrow if you have a lot.  Paper is much handier!

In my experience the biggest culprit for jumbo small change is Australia. I don't mind so much, it's familiar, but that 50c piece is a whopper.  It weighs in at 15.55g - that's about the same as three US quarters (5.67g each). The 20c piece is 11.3g. For comparison, the UK pound is 8.75g.

AU$5.00 is the smallest note and the 1c and 2c coins are long relegated to history.

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

They keep mucking about with it in the UK too. I have some UK coins that are now completely worthless. The US hasn't done away with any coins since we arrived in 1982. Also, two dollar bills are still legal tender. 

I wish the US two dollar bills were more common in regular circulation. They are useful.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

All genuine notes and coins are still worth their face value,  just not on the street,  you have to go into a Bank to change them.  Some years ago we had to do this for an Aunt,  she was a missionary in Africa,  but had been collecting coins for donkeys years.  Every time she went out she put her spare coins in several big jars.. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning people from a cloudy North Salopshire which is cool enough for the heating to have come on a couple of hours ago and Horace the cat to have returned to his winter retreat under one of the radiators until Jill brought me a muggocoffee and he decided that on our bed was the place to be.

Many happy returns to Phil with hopes that a splendid day is in prospect and belated greetings to Simon.

My day will largely be one of domestic niffnaff and trivia plus checking over my bike, which I haven't used in months, to make sure it is roadworthy as my lockdown waistline is telling me that more exercise in an imperative. Then this afternoon I'm taking my Dad to the skin clinic in Shrewsbury. He should have been twice since March but because of the WuFlu his appointments have been cancelled until now. He did ask whether transport was available but since it would have been shared with quite a few other people I wasn't keen on the idea so I'm taking him. At twenty miles it will be the furthest I have journeyed since March 16th.

Another departure from what has in the last four months become the norm is that Jill is going to the hairdressers. The instructions as to what the procedure will be there are quite complicated and she has to be there at least a quarter of an hour beforehand.

Since it's now high time to carpe Tuesday I'll say cheerio and get on with it. Have a good day people.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Grammaticalitis
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull start here in the northwest of England, currently 13C so quite cool too. It's dry at the moment but the dining room skylight is wet, so we must have had some rain overnight, still it’s all good for the garden. 

Todays tasks will be very similar to yesterday’s, painting the bench, hopefully I’ll get another 2 coats of primer on the unpainted side of the bench ends and a final coat on the slats. In between the coats I shall carry on with the turntable wiring and hopefully get it to the point that it’ll be ready to test. 

Phil. Happy birthday and belated birthday greetings to Simon too. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Quite sunny and pleasantly warm here near the Thames. 
Happy birthday to Phil and belated greetings to Simon. 
I am not travelling quite as far for my medical appointment  as Dave and his father but it too will be the longest trip since March. Aditi will drive not because I can’t but so I don’t have to spend ages looking for somewhere to park. When we last went she went off to Wetherspoons for a coffee (it was at 9am). Today’s appointment is at midday but I am sure she won’t be in Wetherspoons this time.

My nephew’s trip from Tübingen to Enfield went well. He is now in quarantine as the new rules for arrivals  don’t start until next week. He arrived early in Calais and was offered an earlier Shuttle. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Missing word
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Morning, drove over to the daughters in Perth yesterday, roads still less traffic on them, but it was odd driving more than 5 miles, funny what you get accustomed too, we might go for our first trip into the hills for an isolated walk later this week weather permitting.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thanks for all the birthday greetings, I can't remember if I offered the same to Simon at the time so just in case happy belated birthday wishes to Simon. Not doing much today, a fodder run as I'm out of almost everything and thats about it. Time for another muggatee, be back later.

• Like 15