The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I have received notification from the first wheelbarrow vendor that I am going to receive a 'full' refund. I will now wait and see what happens with the refund. They are such a bunch of cockwombles I will wait to see if they mess up the refund before I make arrangements to return the second wheelbarrow.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately most modern smoked bacon is sprayed with a smoking "preparation" rather than truly Smoked. One of my Aunts has a house with the iron steps in the side of the chimney and the hooks for hanging sides of pork. I believe they tried it once but it didn't come out well..

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I mentioned after a trip to visit his wife’s family in Florida my brother attempted to import a turkey capable deep fat fryer. As a consolation he did manage to import a smoker. I don’t actually like the taste of smoked food but those who do seemed to think the resulting food items were ok. I notice that when Aditi buys smoked haddock she gets the “traditionally smoked “ variety. When I have barded  a turkey with streaky bacon it comes off rather like American style bacon after cooking. Aditi informed me when I told her bacon had been discussed on ERs that she preferred the American style bacon. 

• Like 19

Greetings all from Sidcup where it is currently dry but rained during my daily walk.

Nice to see Robert posting.

I am a fan of smoked food and smokey flavours, bacon, ham, turkey, cheese, hummus, beer, whisky (smoky and peaty), things cooked with paprika that end up with a nice smokey flavouring

• Like 16

Morning all,

Woke up to my dad coming home very early from work, he’d only been there 30 min. I latter found out, that the large industrial gate to our workshop on the other side of town was gone. A half hour later this would accompanied by pictures and the caption that it was destroyed by a drunken corvette driver. So he went look at it, I didn’t not knowing anything. 

Beans, bacon and toast is being eaten as write this, more bacon for inspection. The remains of that gate, normally about 30 ft wide is below.

EB30DAD9-B7B6-4643-BDC1-7D612113F3B1.jpeg
I will never know why our neighbor fills his yard with those wrecks, but each to there own.

402BD6CA-39CD-4438-9AD6-4C7CCFBB753B.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip...

402BD6CA-39CD-4438-9AD6-4C7CCFBB753B.jpeg

That bacon :bo_mini:  Did that bread even see the toaster? Note that I like mine hot enough to thoroughly melt the copious amounts of butter that I use but not more than lightly browned. :bye:

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

That bacon :bo_mini:  Did that bread even see the toaster? Note that I like mine hot enough to thoroughly melt the copious amounts of butter that I use but not more than lightly browned. :bye:

Its toasted in the middle, underneath the beans. My toaster isn't very good at equally browning all surfaces of bread. The bacon looks much better in person, my ipad camera darkens things in the foreground.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Its toasted in the middle, underneath the beans. My toaster isn't very good at equally browning all surfaces of bread. The bacon looks much better in person, my ipad camera darkens things in the foreground.

As long as you enjoyed it, that is all that really matters. :good_mini: We all have our food (and railway!!!) preferences and probably should not be making fun of others' enjoyments (well, maybe except for railways :biggrin_mini:). I do like the bantering about pain-in-ear vs saddletanks and the constant GWR vs LMS vs others. But, of course, we all know that the WESTERN MARYLAND is the tops! :yahoo_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

One extreme Cockwomble on the way home,  braking at every junction,  braking from 10mph below the limit to even lower at speed cameras,  and then in Effin clown town turning the wrong way into a one way street. 

Went to the orange shed,  much reduced isolation,  they are allowing more people into the store . Spent money on good paint brushes to be used on the non sanded final coats of varnish.. Also more white Spirit. 

I know they have similar road schemes in various places in Norfolk but as yet not heard bad reports, Norwich city is doing enough stupid things to the road network even before the virus, every time I go in to the centre,  it's guess which direction they'll send us this time if at all..  

We've just had something of pretend Italian heritage,  Spaghetti Bolognese, not the best one we've made,  the seasoning,  is pre lock down, as we've been unable to visit our favourite spice stall.. 

The Cobb cooker is very popular amoungst the boating fraternity on the broads. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I googled 'smoked bacon' and I might be tempted by some of the delights on offer. One thing though there was plenty on smoking your own bacon including a few on YouTube. My printer will not now be serviced until Friday. The bits for the service were to be sent directly to my address for the engineer, they should have arrived today but somehow were sent to Birmingham. Now to catch up on RMweb, be back later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I wonder why were they sent to Alabama? :jester:

It was a surprise that they sent it to Birmingham unless there is a similar postcode. If it was Bristol it might be understandable as the district I live in is called Kingswood and there is a like named district of Bristol.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Please tell Me I haven't lost the plot.. 

There was an appeal on BBC local TV for disadvantaged children... They wanted laptop computers....

To go to children having difficulty doing their homework on their smart phones???!!! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, laurenceb said:

or listened to Allan Keith's Hundred best tunes on BBC R2 on a Sunday night

or just about old enough to be allowed to stop up late to listen to Winifred Atwell in the evening on the wireless.

This piece probably my favourite:

• Like 9
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

And now some good news,  

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/new-jobs-totalling-125-announced-by-lotus-in-new-factory-in-old-catton-norwich-1-6736028

Actually it's  not a new building I'm fairly sure it's the old Heatrea-sadia building that closed last year,  it adjoins the old RAF Horsham St Faith Station headquarters which I pass every day on the way to work. The airfield itself being Norwich airport. The problem lotus have with their main site at Hethel, formerly RAF Hethel is it's out in the wilds,  difficult to recruit enough cheap staff.. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

If you want smoked food try a visit to Arbroath, when the wind is from the south I swear I can smell Smokies from 6 miles away....................

You could probably smell them in Aberdeen.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

What’s a Stand Pie? It sounds most intriguing. Would I be right in assuming that it’s some sort of hot water pastry crust pie where the pastry shell “stands up” by itself, not needing a former or a pie tin?

As far as I know a Stand Pie is like a large pork,pie, approx 8" diameter. Often bought at Christmas. Wilsons of Morley are famous for them though I am sure that 45146 may suggest a different emporium.  I am assured by my other half that the filling is the same as a pork pie as I've never eaten one.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9