The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Directly outdoors would be the ONLY suitable place.

Ours was much better when I reconnected the ducting hose between the fan and the outside.  It probably got knocked when looking for Christmas decorations or adjusting a TV aerial. Our aerials are in the loft rather than on the roof. The terrestrial aerials, not the satellite dish, that is on the south facing rear wall of the house. 

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

Evening All,

First, Happy Birthday toPhil. 
Im sorry but I haven’t managed to keep up with things on here today, perhaps another case of ‘can do better’.

I have had the nephews and Sydney to look after today. I have managed to get about two hours paperwork done. Sounds ok but when I opened the books I was further behind than I originally thought.
Watched my team draw on the iPad earlier. Another six pointer but match ended in a draw, a result that helps neither teams. I think we’re doomed now Captain Mainwaring.

Goodnight All, I hope you’ve all had good day,

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Evening! ...snip...

“Does your monitor have a power indicator?”

“ ...snip...

An oldie but a goodie. Hmmm, must have been before the days of a ups. :yahoo_mini:

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. This evenings dinner was chilli, again dictated by the use by dates though I could have had something else. It looks as if the next couple of days are going to be wet but after that the summer should be back.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip...

stay healthy,

Douglas

CCCB9A63-A2F1-4323-AA1F-4EA328705366.jpeg

That bacon looks hard enough to use as replacement planking on a WW2 aircraft carrier's flight deck! :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

After a fairly unremarkable Tuesday I'm having a small libation of a toothsome single malt from North Islay to ease me into Wednesday. Have a quiet and peaceful night all and I hope that Douglas' fan works OK.

Dave

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

An oldie but a goodie. Hmmm, must have been before the days of a ups. :yahoo_mini:

At least properly maintained UPS devices. 
However my favourite is still my last place,of employment. Management did not want anyone from the Computing or Business Studies departments to have anything to do with the college management iT system. Something to do with not trusting expert knowledge. So they appointed a couple of staff to have responsibility. My head of computing was called down one day and was told they had a problem. To make more space they had deleted the system folder from Windows as it didn’t seem to contain anything important. The head of computing being a nice person suggested restoring from the backup.  These had been dutifully performed. Unfortunately the back up tape machine had been loaded with head cleaning tapes. And yes the backup had reported the failure to backup but they hadn’t noticed the error. 
Tony

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

That bacon looks hard enough to use as replacement planking on a WW2 aircraft carrier's flight deck! :jester:

There was a general "lack of love" about fast (and other) food over the past couple of days.

Can I add American bacon to that list?

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I used to like it carbonized, but I’ve moved on to partially carbonized.:biggrin_mini:

You could have shared some of the carbon with the toast bread

:)

• Agree 6
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

When we travelled on the Queen Mary the breakfast options included American bacon and English bacon. The American bacon looked like that in Douglas’ photo. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When we travelled on the Queen Mary the breakfast options included American bacon and English bacon. The American bacon looked like that in Douglas’ photo. 

It normally does, there used to be a shop here that sold “British bacon” which I never liked, but I find it is better looking that American bacon.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, newbryford said:

You could have shared some of the carbon with the toast bread

:)

I like my toast warm enough to thoroughly melt the butter but that is all. If I want to eat carbon, I will buy a bag of charcoal and start munching! :biggrin_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To change "but" to "buy"
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Hmmm, I know what American (obviously :biggrin_mini:) bacon is,

I know what Canadian (quite good, too) bacon is,

but what it English bacon?

Who knows, I might like it.

Breakfast foods are my favorite, but just not at breakfast time! :jester:

• Like 15

58 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

However my favourite is still my last place,of employment. Management did not want anyone from the Computing or Business Studies departments to have anything to do with the college management iT system. Something to do with not trusting expert knowledge. So they appointed a couple of staff to have responsibility. My head of computing was called down one day and was told they had a problem. To make more space they had deleted the system folder from Windows as it didn’t seem to contain anything important. The head of computing being a nice person suggested restoring from the backup.  These had been dutifully performed. Unfortunately the back up tape machine had been loaded with head cleaning tapes. And yes the backup had reported the failure to backup but they hadn’t noticed the error. 

Aah! Computer tapes plus inexperienced/ ignorant/ distracted staff - the possibilities for disaster are many and varied.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, brianusa said:

While doing nothing today, suddenly:  'Anne Ziegler and Webster Booth'!  Names I hadn't thought of for nigh on sixty years or so.  Its strange how something like this happens for no apparent reason.  Talk about distant memory!  Naturally they were Googled and all fitted into my recollection of the act.  Not my style back then and they fizzled out in the fifties, but interesting just the same.  You have to be old to remember them!:lol:

Brian.

or listened to Allan Keith's Hundred best tunes on BBC R2 on a Sunday night

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

I’d only been in the cellar about 10 minutes when it started raining and it’s not stopped since, in fact it’s still racing now! However, as I was working inside it didn’t made no difference to my ability to work on the bench at all. Today, more progress has been made on said bench, all the slats, the stays and the outside of the ends have all had 3 coats of primer. The insides have also had a single coat of primer and will get its final 2 coats tomorrow. Tomorrow I’m also hoping to start applying the top coat on the slats and stays too.

Whilst waiting for the paint to dry, I was able to finish the inter-connecting wiring for the turntable, these are just plug in leads, so in essence, the turntable is now ready for testing, but which will probably not take place until the weekend.

Goodnight all 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1