RMweb

Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

I know this has all been said previously in this thread but I want to add my Thanks to Model Rail, Dapol and Kernow for commissioning this model, designing and producing it and excellent service when delivering it respectively.

I had fancied this model for a long time but other things on a layout under construction took priority. I finally placed an order last Saturday afternoon and it was delivered Tuesday morning - great service by Kernow. I quickly fitted a Zimo decoder and test ran it. It runs beautifully with no hesitation even over complex pointwork. I think it is an absolutely brilliant model - probably one of the best runners I have out of a fleet of around 40 locos.

Can we please get all new models to run this well?

Thanks for the kind comments. I believe the next batch of Sentinels is now starting to reach Kernow MRC. 

CHRIS LEIGH

A little bit of a cheeky question if I may?

I bought one of these when they were 1st released, and am very pleased with it. Though I did run it, but it was only on a very short length of track that I had at the time. I did notice a slight "nodding" on this track though but ignored it at the time. Now I have more layout to run it on, it is very apparent; it appears from closer inspection that at least one axle/set of wheels is not right. I'm not expecting to get a replacement, espcially after this length of time - indeed I don't want one as I have done some detailing work on the loco. However, is it possible to obtain spare wheels from anywhere?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I bought one of these when they were 1st released, and am very pleased with it. Though I did run it, but it was only on a very short length of track that I had at the time. I did notice a slight "nodding" on this track though but ignored it at the time. Now I have more layout to run it on, it is very apparent; it appears from closer inspection that at least one axle/set of wheels is not right. I'm not expecting to get a replacement, espcially after this length of time - indeed I don't want one as I have done some detailing work on the loco. However, is it possible to obtain spare wheels from anywhere?

Stewart

I'm quite sure that several have been converted to EM or P4 so someone must have a spare set of wheels they don't want.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments. I believe the next batch of Sentinels is now starting to reach Kernow MRC. 

CHRIS LEIGH

So, could the next follow on batch be "Radstock" locos? (Pretty please).

Yes, I know it has already been said many times already and I probably know the answer already but it's worth a try! :scratchhead:

Stewart

I have converted mine to P4 but I have a slightly different problem as one of the axles has split. I would like to get a replacement for that if possible. I think your problem may be more to do with the axle rather than the wheels.

I have converted mine to P4 but I have a slightly different problem as one of the axles has split. I would like to get a replacement for that if possible. I think your problem may be more to do with the axle rather than the wheels.

Axles? The wheels are on stub axles that fit into a plastic muff that includes the gear. I assume you mean the muff has split?

Nick

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be in the office now for a while but if you (the two guys who need a wheelset) leave it, say, 4 weeks and e-mail my chris.leigh@bauermedia.co.uk address, I will see if I can lay hands on a Sentinel that we can break for spares. No guarantees, but I'll see what can be done. Isebrook, the loco that we scanned, was reduced to a non-powered brake van in its final days, so a conversion minus motor, gears and powered wheelsets might be on the cards.

CHRIS LEIGH

I've just this week acquired one of these from Kernow and very good it looks too. I'll give it a go on Thurs on the club's OO layout but does anyone have advice on a P4 conversion? I've looked at Captain Kernow's posts early on in the thread but I don't have a lathe, Ultrascale don't do wheels and the AGW Lowmac wheels are too big.

Be grateful for advice.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

The Sentinel in NCB livery is a freelance livery in response to reader requests.

Had my EM conversion of the NCB model running on Kirkmellington at Expo EM last weekend and it was mentioned to me that it was fiction. Still, it looks good and runs sweetly so I can at least modify the livery a little without compromising authenticity!

post-7035-0-37406200-1411467484_thumb.jpg

Edited by black and decker boy
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as the Hornby Sentinel diesel is also available in NCB livery I was going to ask if they ever could be seen working together.  :scratchhead: So it looks like I shall have to dust off my modellers licence. Is the Hornby one a genuine livery?

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...