Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

Yes, the whole plastic gear block is attached to the underside of the running plate by four plastic spring clips. The block may be removed by putting a small screwdriver between these and levering gently, first at one end then the other. The wheels will pop out of the pickups/bearings. You may find it slightly easier to remove the keeper plate (see CKs last post) then the wheels and gears first.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

In the event, I didn't take my chassis block out. When the keeper plate was off, I managed to get a small screwdriver in to remove one of the screws, and as for the other NEM pocket, well let's just say that Xuron helped me!

I have an early BR one on order and have just received my LNER version although I didn’t receive an email to signal its arrival but then I like nice surprises! I am very pleased to at last be able to see a r-t-r Dapol loco in ‘00’scale, in the flesh and running. It’s been a very looooooong wait but worth it. The detail is excellent and it operates beautifully. It now gives me greater confidence in the other Dapol products due for release this year and I look forward to those. Well done!

I got myself the LNER Y1/2 Sentinel and I was able to test her out on my friend's layout tonight. For such a small loco, it is an excellent piece of work. We tested out it's haulage and it was able to take around 14 wagons. What surprises me more is that it is smaller than the L&YR 21 'Pug'. To achieve this is something indeed. Here is a photo of the LNER Sentinel in action. Unfortunately I had no LNER wagons with me at the time.

Garethp8873.

282108_10150738501780002_514495001_19784146_8009861_n.jpg

Well that S'n't 'ellens project has just been reborn.

A wee look a things the last few days made me realise how many Sutton Oak engine types I had :laugh:

And this is another one!

Well one is ordered and now to wait for the Ultrascales - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :yahoo:

Isn't No. 1 end the one with the ventilation grilles? Or am I mixing it up with something else?

Just for interest, here it is with the offerings from Crownline (left) and NuCast (right).

sentinels_zps6df0b47d.jpg

The NuCast one is the version with the plastic top rather than whitemetal.

Edited by jwealleans

Isn't No. 1 end the one with the ventilation grilles? Or am I mixing it up with something else?

That's what I've assumed, i.e. the same as Phil said as that is the boiler end. Unless, of course, it is the GWR No 13 that doesn't have any grills. Must have been warm in there :unsure:

btw, it looks like your Crownline and NuCast versions have the rod just below the solebars which I assume to be for operating the sandboxes. The rod is missing from the Dapol Sentinel, though there is some sort of vestigial rod behind the steps on the right hand side. The rod can also be seen in this photo. Can anyone confirm that this rod was fitted on both sides?

Nick

your Crownline and NuCast versions have the rod just below the solebars which I assume to be for operating the sandboxes.

They do; I added them. I agree they're probably for the sanders and Yeadon shows them both sides in photographs. they're operated by another rod which goes up through the web of the solebar into the cab.

• Like 1

Which end is the front of a Sentinel? I always assumed that the boiler end was the front and the bunker the back.

Like most steam locos, the boiler end is the front end. But the concept of front and back is a bit meaningless in a shunting engine, given that it will spend pretty much the same amount of time overall travelling in both directions!

By return-of-post Kernow sent a replacement Sentinel and I am honestly amazed by its out-of-the-box performance. I have not seen such smooth and controllable slow speed running before. This model crawled almost imperceptibly and was so quiet we had to go looking for it from time-to-time !

Tony

• Like 1

By return-of-post Kernow sent a replacement Sentinel and I am honestly amazed by its out-of-the-box performance. I have not seen such smooth and controllable slow speed running before. This model crawled almost imperceptibly and was so quiet we had to go looking for it from time-to-time !

Tony

That's great news!

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1