Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

My GWR Sentinel arrived this morning. Just had it trundling up and down with a rake of quite heavily weighted kit built wagons; amazing slow running. I went for the green one as I was particularly interested in a version without the vents etc. My one will eventually end up as motive power on a light railway.

Really pleased with the model and look forward to future models of other relatively obscure prototypes (how about a Manning Wardle contractors tank next time Model Rail?)

Regards,

Patrick

• RMweb Premium

Is anyone thinking of converting their Sentinel shunter into a railcar? I gather the early railcars were based on the shunter chassis.

There are some very good drawings available of the railcar(s). A R-T-R one would be even better. The possible liveries of the early articulated ones are LMS maroon, LNER teak/red-white/green-cream/wartime grey or khaki, JER dark red and JR which was a light colour judging by b&w photographs with a darker waist stripe. Does anyone know what colours the JR painted their two railcars? All except the JR which was 3' 6" they were standard gauge but as most of us accept 16.5 in OO it works out only another half inch error on the gauge.

The HM review also mentions that there's holes for vacuum pipes but nothing supplied to put in them, so you're not alone.

Some locos were not vacuum fitted. The detail variations on the model include number of vents, whistle position and vac brakes. If the real thing didn't have vac brake then there's no vac pipes on the model. There are no separate detail parts with the models.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Got quite excited when I read Isebrook was going to be produced and was expecting this livery:

http://www.flickr.co...N05/3118325693/

Looks like we'll have to wait for the third batch!

Hopefully it may be considered (Perhaps Chris can be persuaded?) but in the meantime I await my early crest version. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Some locos were not vacuum fitted. The detail variations on the model include number of vents, whistle position and vac brakes. If the real thing didn't have vac brake then there's no vac pipes on the model. There are no separate detail parts with the models.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks for clarifying this Chris.

Tony.

Received my first two Sentinels (GWR & LNER 150) yesterday. The detail below the footplate is quite awesome. Not only are the sandbox delivery pipes there, but also the support angles that hold them in the correct position. The brake rigging is also as per prototype, although you have to turn it upside down to appreciate this. There are a few compromises above the footplate, notably the roof details and the wooden covering over the water tank. The latter is a preservation addition to ISEBROOK. In service most of them ran with coal heaped over the water tank, so easy to disguise this point. As others have commented the slow running is excellent.

Thanks to Model Rail for a superb RTR Sentinel! Given the success that this model is bound to be perhaps MR could consider a RTR Sentinel railcar? The LNER shaft driven car would probably be the easiest to tool and could be finished in CLC colours as well. The earlier chain driven articulated version for the LNER/LMS and Channel Islands had variations in the layout of the passenger section and, to a lesser extent, to the power unit bodywork and would need a good deal of compromise to cover all versions.

SENTINEL MAN

• RMweb Gold

In the next few days I'm planning to take mine apart, in order to remove the wheels and axles for turning down to P4 profiles, this with the assistance of Brian Harrap and his lathe.

The driving wheels are 10mm diameter, and seems to be on the split axle/split chassis system, in that the pick ups work off the ends of the pin point bearings. I was considering using some Gibson Lowmac wheels, but these are 11mm, so it may just be easier to reprofile the Dapol wheels.

Got quite excited when I read Isebrook was going to be produced and was expecting this livery:

http://www.flickr.co...N05/3118325693/

Looks like we'll have to wait for the third batch!

Hopefully it may be considered (Perhaps Chris can be persuaded?) but in the meantime I await my early crest version. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

This was the livery that I wanted to do! However, common sense prevailed, because as I understand it, at this time Isebrook was not operational and was being used as a brake van. It also has too many detail differences from the model, most notably the curved top to the 'bunker'. I'd have ignored all that and done it anyway but that's mainly because my son lives a few hundred yards from where it used to work when it was in this condition. Oh, well, a chance to do a bit of kit-bashing...

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

In the next few days I'm planning to take mine apart, in order to remove the wheels and axles for turning down to P4 profiles, this with the assistance of Brian Harrap and his lathe.

The driving wheels are 10mm diameter, and seems to be on the split axle/split chassis system, in that the pick ups work off the ends of the pin point bearings. I was considering using some Gibson Lowmac wheels, but these are 11mm, so it may just be easier to reprofile the Dapol wheels.

Just looking at the Cap'ns' Sentinel parked up in the ZOB workshops with a view to turning the wheels to P4. Will have to clear out the rabbit droppings and the like out of th'ole Unimat and upset a few spiders I expect but it looks like all will be OK. Pity I haven't got my new P4 layout far enough advanced to give it a run - might just try it @ P87 on the QUAI first. Brian. (wonder if he'd like a crane fitted to it whilst it's here)

Just looking at the Cap'ns' Sentinel parked up in the ZOB workshops with a view to turning the wheels to P4. Will have to clear out the rabbit droppings and the like out of th'ole Unimat and upset a few spiders I expect but it looks like all will be OK. Pity I haven't got my new P4 layout far enough advanced to give it a run - might just try it @ P87 on the QUAI first. Brian. (wonder if he'd like a crane fitted to it whilst it's here)

Oh bu''er, where did that little bit fly off to?

• RMweb Gold

This was the livery that I wanted to do! However, common sense prevailed, because as I understand it, at this time Isebrook was not operational and was being used as a brake van. It also has too many detail differences from the model, most notably the curved top to the 'bunker'. I'd have ignored all that and done it anyway but that's mainly because my son lives a few hundred yards from where it used to work when it was in this condition. Oh, well, a chance to do a bit of kit-bashing...

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris for the reply.

As you say perhaps a bit of kit bashing may be in order. Shame though because it's an interesting livery and although I knew it existed I'm not to sure of it's history though it fits in with my plans for a Northamptonshire based layout set around the quarrying iron stone. The link to the photo says it used to be GWR number 12 as well.

Also I'm based at Isebrook Hospital in Wellingborough!;)

Cheers,

Mark

The body just pops off along with other details, which makes customization pretty straightforward. The industrial freelance possibilities are huge. Brian, it look like YOU ARE gong to do that crane version :yes:

Now, I wonder where I could source some cow catchers from?

Details of the next batch have just appeared on the modelrailoffers website.

I've just pre-orderd Isebrook. Which, for me, is an event as I rarely buy RTR.

Damn it! That's the livery I voted for in the MR poll :laugh:

I'm really pleased with the GWR one but I wonder if I can convince myself of the need for another?

I have just given mine [No 13] its first outing at the club tonight and would very much much appreciate comment from others as to the running qualities of theirs'.

Straight out of the box, and following instructions to lightly oil the two exposed cogs underneath, I ran the Sentinel for about 25-30 minutes, moderately slowly in each direction, on previously cleaned track.

After that time, there was no discernible difference in the running quality : the engine was quite noisy [very noisy at flat out - but I can understand that it probably would be given the gearing], did not respond at all well at low / crawling speeds and tended to judder a lot. A steady, smooth slow run with wagons was not possible.

It seemed to me that an hour's running in was probably going to achieve all that it could and further running would produce no better result.

Obviously, this is disappointing. But before I return it for a replacement [i really [i]do[/i] want one], I would genuinely appreciate some other users' comments : is it worth allowing another half-hour's each way running in ? Are any of your models showing similar characteristics ?

Many thanks.

Tony

I have just given mine [No 13] its first outing at the club tonight and would very much much appreciate comment from others as to the running qualities of theirs'.

Straight out of the box, and following instructions to lightly oil the two exposed cogs underneath, I ran the Sentinel for about 25-30 minutes, moderately slowly in each direction, on previously cleaned track.

After that time, there was no discernible difference in the running quality : the engine was quite noisy [very noisy at flat out - but I can understand that it probably would be given the gearing], did not respond at all well at low / crawling speeds and tended to judder a lot. A steady, smooth slow run with wagons was not possible.

It seemed to me that an hour's running in was probably going to achieve all that it could and further running would produce no better result.

Obviously, this is disappointing. But before I return it for a replacement [i really [i]do[/i] want one], I would genuinely appreciate some other users' comments : is it worth allowing another half-hour's each way running in ? Are any of your models showing similar characteristics ?

Many thanks.

Tony

None of the ones we've tested have behaved like that. 'Noisy' depends on one's perception. It's not silent but I wouldn't say any that I've run are noisy. Sounds like you've got the first one that's not up to scratch and it would be best to return it for replacement.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

As Chris L says, it sounds like a duffer, which I'm sure will be sorted out for you.

I'm totally amazed with the performance, and that's with both Gaugemaster feedback and non-feedback controllers. The one in my posession is high mileage too (I'm guessing 50 hours - Chris L will know more seeing it's spent much of its like going round in circles on the Model Rail Towers Nürburg Ring and all weekend at Warley ) and it still runs stunningly well, unlike some other engines of mine that have 'dropped off' despite being well maintained.

post-6681-0-47929500-1310712681_thumb.jpg

• Like 1