Shunting Puzzle Game on iPhone

frobisher

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which category do you think you fall into (for the purposes of this poll smartphone means iPhone, Android or Windows 7 Phone)

• I own a smartphone and this is the kind of game I might buy/play
    • I own a smartphone but I'd not be interested in a game like this
    • I'd be interested in a game like this but on another platform
    • Not really something that has my interest
    • I don't own a smartphone but I think this would be a good type of game for the platform
    • I don't own a smartphone but I think this wouldn't be a good type of game for the platform

I think this is the best place to put this, so....

Cards on the table here. I run a small computer games development studio and we frequently review product ideas for a variety of platforms. The "smart phone" market (iPhone principally, but also Android and Windows 7 Phone) is both a huge opporyunity and a bit of a crap shoot, but is any "easy" target platform for smaller budgeted and scoped projects. So the current target for ideas internally is there.

It struck me that I haven't seen a shunting puzzle game implemented on platform (someone had talked about the Trainyard game on iPhone, which sparked off my thinking, but that's definately not a shunting game - if I'm wrong I'm more than happy to be corrected) and is to my mind really achievable. Now I (obviously) have certain biases in regard this idea (which I'll be pitching to my designers tomorrow - with a bunch of Kato Unitrack, Farish 5 plankers and an 08 shunter...) and I have to sanity check this a little.

Is the basic idea "fun enough"? The criteria for desired wagon order can be easily tied to spelling words based on letters on each wagon or similar and players can be scored on a combination of time and moves.

Do enough of "us" own smartphones?

Could it be puzzlely enough for the non-enthusiast?

As you can see, i've put a simple (anonymous) poll at the top.

Thanks in advance chaps :)

[EDIT] Added two extra poll options

Obligatory "missing options" post:

I don't have a smart phone, but think it's a good idea.

I don't have a smart phone, but think it's a flop.

Cowboy Neal

I'd have thought that the simple logic puzzle game is ideal for phones, where you've got it to hand to while away the odd 5 mins here and there. Still puzzly enough for non-enthusiasts, as it's an easy enough concept to get across: one engine and a bunch of wagons, with a jumble to sort out. Rules would fit on one screen, if you need them at all.

Let people add their own words to shunt into place? Bonus for other words from the same letters?

but I also think that a timesaver plus inglenook sort of game would get boring without the manual shunting and pleasure from watching my models rattle past I'm afraid.

I'd be hoping to get something of that experience into the whole audio/video implementation.

But thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I've just come back in from the garage and managed to limt myself to pointwork, straights and the complimentary curves. We'd lose too much of the day if I brought in a complete oval and we do have other work to do :)

Mind you, our conference room table is a damn good size...

I have a smartphone but wqhether it would take the graphics of an equivalent Iphone application is another matter entirely, now if you say made it also as a minimal file sized application, you could install it on your desktop, i don't mean like GTA: San Andreas type size or graphics, but something with a box like 500x500 pixels max would do, so say you were printing a large job off, waiting for a virus scan to finish or something you have something to do in the meantime.

I have an iPhone and iPad and I think there are too few train-based games/apps available. I have played trainyard and you're correct, it's not a shunting game. It's quite fun though. I'd love a shunting game or some kind of railway simulation though. There's definitely a gap to be filled.

Hi,

I can't really think of too many variations of the puzzle element. The classic inglenook, for example, can be varied somewhat, 4:2:2, 5:3:3, 7:5:5. Where it could be interesting is if you add other elements into it;

• Online league tables for each combination.
  • Play against a friend, turn by turn.
  • Make rules regarding adjacency, e.g Gunpowder wagons can't be next to Oil Tankers
  • Let the computer show you how it should've been done.
  • Move and shunt the train by touch screen.
  • Once you've completed the 5 wagon train, it can then bust it's buffers and go through to the next puzzle where the 3 additional wagons are 'special' case wagons.
  • Special case wagons could be
    • Shock wagons - can only be shunted in singles
    • Snow ploughs - can only be at the head on the train
    • Wagons with red barrels on ;)

It could be quite fun, but of limited scope in this context. Maybe the inglenook type puzzle can be applied to other areas, rats in tubes, trucks in gold mines, trams, narrow boats and so on.

I've a few more ideas, but my current employer would be a bit miffed if I gave too much away. Hint, I know you from TCE, pm me and I might break cover. B)

Paul

other "prototype" oddities you can mix into real shunting puzzles also include

- brake vans

- unfitted wagons (partially fitted trains need fitted wagons in any order first)

- different wagon lengths

- "no loco" areas (eg fuel loading points) with reach wagon access

- explosives wagons not permitted close to loco

its the kind of amusement I might grab if free but not something I'd bother buying - if I cared that much I'd write one 8)

Just a quick update for you all, looks like this might be a goer :) Everyone seemed to be excited about all the variations and tweaks that could be done on the theme (and not just because it was something the boss was bringing to the table) so we'll now have to see what the design department can make out of it.

So once again, thanks everyone for feedback so far, and I'll keep you posted on progress!

I hope you don't forget an Android version!

I'm always slightly annoyed when developers say despite there being a lot of Android phones out there now, the Android market actually only sells a disproportionately small number of paid for apps. Well thats because there are so few apps worth paying for on the Android Market! If developers ported apps worth paying for, I'm sure Android users would buy them too!

Android version is very likely if the iPhone version happens (we're currently assessing technologies to allow us to hit iPhone and Android simultaneously as we're in discussion with a publisher about doing this for another game). But the reasons you've listed are actually part of the issue - people are less prone to buy on Android than on iPhone for some reason but to our mind it's not a market to ignore if it's as easy to produce content for. Windows 7 phone is also likely, but is a bit more hassle lacking a common programming platform with iPhone and Android.

"people are less prone to buy on Android than on iPhone"

What is the phrase about fools and money being more easily parted ;)

What to me would be really interesting (but then again as a business proposition much less compelling) would be whether something to the standard of older versions of BVE is possible at least on the newer phones. The hardware ought to be up to it given it was possible to get a bit below that spec even on the old Amiga (ATD3 etc)

I've had an IPhone for around 15 months now and searched the App Store for ages when I first got it looking for exactly what you're talking about! There's very little serious railway / railroad stuff there at all, so I would hope there's a fair chance of success with this. I would think it best to keep things simple initially as this would give a greater chance of selling to general puzzle enthusiasts, as well as railfans. You can always update the app with more complex variations once it's going.

I would imagine that the bulk of your sales would be in North America where the Timesaver is much better known than Inglenook sidings. The real enthusiasts would want the siding lengths to be similar to the original so check the various refernces online to get them right. They'd almost certainly want to see Geeps and boxcars rather than an 08 and 4 wheelers. Maybe each puzzle come come with its own set of stock - US for the Timesaver, Uk for Inglenook. This would solve the problem of shorter UK stock making the timesaver too easy and US stock messing up the Inglenook. There could be a mini version of the tiddlywink computer at the bottom, reset it then shunt the stock till it matches the arrangement.

Even though the stock would be relatively basic (aerial views?)I think the enthusiasts would expect the general proportions to be correct. From a personal point of view, I'd hope it would run on IPhone 3 as well as 4.

All the best with the venture, hope it comes to fruition. I'll keep an eye open in the App Store!

If it works on an I-phone, does it work on a I-touch aswell?

I'd be quite interested in this if it does :)

Yup, it will do :) Early days so far, but if we go ahead (there's a few other considerations from a point of view of scheduling, resourcing and wotnot) it'll be across iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad definately, Android probably, and Windows 7 Phone reasonably likely.

This sounds like a very good idea, I have visions of the Tinsley hump having recently watched the youtube clip highlighted elsewhere on this forum - it was amazing to watch but a little mind boggling also. I think a reasonably complex game that is gripping, frustrrating and rewarding in equal measure would be a good sell to the general public - Angry Birds has my wife hooked and can get her screaming at her iTouch at times.

Good luck.

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...

In case anyone's searching for a nice offline shunting app on the iPhone / iPad (not Android, unfortunately), I just stumbled on Tiny Trackz, made by a prominent British developer, which has just been released (I have no connection to them, just a happy customer).

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tiny-trackz/id955913168?mt=8

tinytrainz_zpsdcosrdps.png

There's a video of someone playing it here in 'fast' mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i611Yj6304Q - it's less jerky in reality, being smooth even on my older iPhone 4S.

It's basically an arcade Inglenook, with 'fast' as well as 'normal' operation for the young and impatient. You start with the traditional 3 sidings and eight random wagons (or five wagons in kids mode). and operate the loco & points, uncoupling as required to shunt and make up your train, with points for minimum moves and time. However, the details make the game - and it's beautifully done, with attractive and humourous animations (the shunter running alongside the train to uncouple it each time, little cars and people going past), rewards in the shape of newer locos, 'train spotter' animations and bonuses like more siding length, etc. In terms of locos, you start with an old rusty GW Pannier, which can then be upgraded to a spotless one, then dock tanks, etc. There are different views available, including overhead, broadside (as above), loco driver view, etc. Different types of more awkward wagons are added as you complete puzzles, including guards vans which don't couple at the rear, vans you can only shunt x times, etc.

It's not free - costing £2.99, but I (unusually) forked out the cash, and am glad I did. It's certainly the most fun I've had with a 'logical' game, and the fact that it features Panniers is only an advantage in my view!

The developers promise to add further freebie levels if it sells well enough, so hopefully enough will give it a go.

As a final note, I was reading the developers' blog, and apparently the research for this game returned both the guys to their model railway roots - they ended up making several N-gauge layouts, and have now been firmly bitten by the bug!

Cheers,

Alan

<Edit - forgot to mention the lovely 'Monty-Python'-esque background music and effective sounds & effects... first class!>

Hi chaps, wondered why my ears were burning :) I'm the author of Tiny TrackZ. It looks like as well as coming to the Mac App Store and the new Apple TV it could be coming to Mac/PC via Steam as we've been talking to a publisher who would like it on there.

Archived