New Iain Rice Book

Arthur

To all fans of Iain Rice, and his layout designs in particular, Haynes, the car manual people, have released his new book, Layout Design.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=51717&langId=-1

It's available elsewhere at considerably less than £25.00.

Other Layout Design books are available....

I wouldn't describe myself as a fan exactly but I'll certainly be giving this a look. He writes very well most of the time. I have Designs for Urban Layouts, which is really useful and An Approach to Building Finescale Track which is almost like a Bible to me!

Are they all new plans, or have they re-cycled old ones? It IS a lot of money, and having bought all his previous ones at full price I do get a bit narked seing them all remaindered at exhibitions!

Ed

Never mind, as it's published by Haynes, it'll be in the Railway Book Club within months :) .

• RMweb Gold

One for the Christmass list. I've always enjoyed Rice's ideas and writing, his articles in Model Railways in the 80's were a big influence on me.

Ditto. And early MRJ, and Morill, and the short-lived but wonderful RailModel Digest..

EDIT: Only $23.07 on Amazon. Duly ordered...

I am quite fond of Mr Rice's writings so i will keep an eye out for this one. Only thing I am not so keen on is the "back of an envelope" style of illustrations. I wonder if they have something a bit better in this for the drawings.

I acquired a copy to add to my extensive collection of Rice manuals when I attended the Wolverhampton Model Rail Exhibition today. I have had a quick look and there seems to be only a few actual plans, one more detailed than the others.

Are they all new plans

I do not recognise any of them, though some appear to be variations on old themes.

I wonder if they have something a bit better in this for the drawings.

A few are drawn and coloured as per his "American" style, others are his usual pencil sketches showing a plan view and a perspective view.

I would like to see a book with more plans and less of the theory which has been published too many times now!

I had a quick scan though it today, theres plenty of theory and not a large number of new plans unlike his previous UK WSP/Atlantic books. Color is well produced but ont he issue I looked at the plans were very contrasty, I felt less color in the washes would work better. I will probably buy it, but not at the RRP which on initial view looks expensive for what's there based on his previous writings. At the cheaper prices its advertised at its likely to be good value.

I think that's a very fair summation of the book, it's certainly overpriced at £25.00 but I was happy to pay £15.00 on Amazon, it's hard back with 176, well illustrated, pages.  Don't buy it for loads of new plans (as I've already got hundreds of published plans I'm never gonna build anyway, I'm not sure that I want any more!!), buy it because you like Iains style and ramblings and thoughts on layout design.

Atlantic are also about to Publish a book on Layout Design, 'Making Tracks' by Paul Lunn priced at £18.50. I cannot find any web reference to it yet.

Arthur

• RMweb Gold

My copy from Amazon was damaged beyond use but I also spotted that the text on p12 was virtually unreadable, due to the print being smudged/distorted. I'll be getting a fresh copy from Amazon but will be interested to see if p12 is the same.

• RMweb Premium

My copy from Amazon was damaged beyond use but I also spotted that the text on p12 was virtually unreadable, due to the print being smudged/distorted. I'll be getting a fresh copy from Amazon but will be interested to see if p12 is the same.

No problems with the pg12 in my copy from Amazon.

Mine is also "smudged" on pages 4,5,9,12 and 13 but not to the extent of not being able to read them - I really can't be faffed with sending it back.

• RMweb Gold

Mine is also "smudged" on pages 4,5,9,12 and 13 but not to the extent of not being able to read them - I really can't be faffed with sending it back.

Having had another look at mine, the smudging is also on some of the pages you mention, although it's worse on p12. The picture of Pempoul

(p5, I think) is just a muddy brown-green blob.

• RMweb Gold

Had a proper read (and got an intact copy delivered today, with all pages printed properly) and I'd reiterate what's been said above - it's a nice book, but if you've already digested some or all of IR's other treatises, there will inevitably be some repetition, especially in areas such as jigsaw layout design and so on. But - I've still learned a few new things (some good tips on avoiding backscene shadows, which I'll be attempting to implement on my S&D layout) and it's a good one to dip into and absorb ideas, even if they've been tackled elsewhere. Sorry to note that IR mentions in passing that he has Parkinsons, and this is a factor in his long-term layout planning - I'm sure his many fans will wish him the best with future projects.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to note that IR mentions in passing that he has Parkinsons, and this is a factor in his long-term layout planning - I'm sure his many fans will wish him the best with future projects.

Yes I picked up on that too - very sad news.

On a brighter note it was good to see a fair few layouts from RMweb folk in the book, including our Treneglos. It's funny that the only negative comment he makes (gap between bottom of lighting unit and top of backscene) is something we would have done differently 2nd time round. Indeed Damian has addressed this on his Diesels in the Duchy layout (although this means we now all have to stand on boxes to operate :lol: ).

I've not yet played my 'Iain Rice' game properly though.... guess how many times he'll mention 'Buckjumper'... I suspect in this volume it reaches double figures :D

It is, however, a very sensibly written and interesting to read book - one that's great for either dipping into or reading from start to finish. I'm now looking forward to his one on loco detailing.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to here that .

Picked up a copy over the hoildays and have enjoyed reading it, always find Rice's stuff very interesting. Would if liked a few more plan's but overall happy with it.

Its clearly part of a new serices as also found this on amazon for release in the summer:-

Locomotives (Realistic Railway Modelling)

Best Wishes

David

Archived