RMweb

Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

I am advised that the decoder installation on these is different to the EPB & CEPs in that the decoder socket is located under a removable piece of the underframe thus eliminating the tedious task of removing the body shell ( Which i have done around 20 times to fit decoders to CEPs & EPBs11)

Can any one confirm that this installation method is correct on the Desiro??

Can any one confirm that this installation method is correct on the Desiro??

That's correct, it's really well designed. One of the roof pods is also detachable for switching lighting without having to remove the unit from the track.

Hi

have had a quick glance over the model this morning prior to going away for christmas (the train-not me)! As you maybe aware from previous posts i have been looking forward to this model (about 30yrs for an EMU) and I am seriously impressed!! As Andy mentions above cab lights switched using a switch under the panel on the cab roof, decoder fitting by removing a panel underneath the power car, only 1 decoder required. Motor block does invade into the seating area but with the tinted windows etc this may not be such a problem -unless the interior lighting shows it up, the power car feels nice and weighty so I would expect it to easily shift the train but sorry I was not able to give it a test.

Earlier in the thread someone mentions the mass of cables between cars, representions of these are included for those who want to display their models, the only thing I couldn't figure was how to raise the pantograph didn't want to pull too hard on it incase it broke so if someone figures it out let me know.

Don't know the prototype unit so can't comment on bodyshape but the livery is nicely applied.

I am sure it will score highly in the magazine reviews!

mark

That's correct, it's really well designed. One of the roof pods is also detachable for switching lighting without having to remove the unit from the track.

That is a real bit of good news!!!!!!!

It saves a lot of frustration when removing the body shells of the EPBs & CEPs ( although have to add the EPBs are a little easier as they do have 2 screws at one end!!)

I thought they were modelling both variants. It is only the 350/1's as per this initial release which pre dated the London Midland franchise hence the unbranded livery.

Yup - you're correct - I have no idea what I'm talking about (not for the 1st time) - but the 350/1 does have shoegear "bumps" on the beams which bodes well for the 450.....

Hi

I've been waiting to have a drag for ages........

Thanks to PH Design for the Arlington etches, Mark S for putting them together and oh yes, Bachmann for the 350.

Regards

Nick

hope you remembered to remove the shoegear for that drag, Nick! :devil: :devil:

Does anyone have one yet ? If so do they come with the deflector plate which fits under the Dellner ?

The inner ends look very bare without the jumpers.

Ta.

Great Western.

It does indeed come with the deflector plate as a separate piece to fit, along with cosmetic dellners and all the cables for inter-carriage connections.

Tom

• Like 1

I bought one today and what can i say..,......WOW!

To say i'm impressed is an understatement, this is the best model i have ever purchased, superb value for money.

Take my hat off to Bachmann for a truly outstanding model.

I bought one today and what can i say..,......WOW!

To say i'm impressed is an understatement, this is the best model i have ever purchased, superb value for money.

Take my hat off to Bachmann for a truly outstanding model.

I'm glad you said that... roll on Christmas day (for me!)

• Like 1

I received my Desiro this morning, and I am pleased to report it is superb, and lives up to all expectations,

Runs smoothly from a crawl up to a rather fast top speed!!

The unit sounds great even with out a sound unit!

Decoder fitting is really user friendly, had I not stopped to photgraph the decoder plug I reckon that firring a decoder would take around 2 minutes!

The only thing I would comment on is the fact according to the catalogue Etched 'APOLLO' nameplates are supposed to be supplied as this unit is/was a 'namer!' However they are not supplied, I phoned Bachmann to query this omission and was advised that although they state namplates are supplied, in reality the unit had only printed plastic names on it! SO no name plates supplied!!

I received my Desiro this morning, and I am pleased to report it is superb, and lives up to all expectations,

Runs smoothly from a crawl up to a rather fast top speed!!

The unit sounds great even with out a sound unit!

Decoder fitting is really user friendly, had I not stopped to photgraph the decoder plug I reckon that firring a decoder would take around 2 minutes!

The only thing I would comment on is the fact according to the catalogue Etched 'APOLLO' nameplates are supposed to be supplied as this unit is/was a 'namer!' However they are not supplied, I phoned Bachmann to query this omission and was advised that although they state namplates are supplied, in reality the unit had only printed plastic names on it! SO no name plates supplied!!

It would be handy if there were any 36-554 21 pin decoders available, no one seems to have any in stock.. they are like hens teeth to find again right at the wrong time!

It would be handy if there were any 36-554 21 pin decoders available, no one seems to have any in stock.. they are like hens teeth to find again right at the wrong time!

There are plenty of alternative brands around I have used a Hornby!! Saphire in the 350 which was only a couple of pounds more than the Bachmann 21 pin, Hattons had Lenz 21 pin in stock last week, I think Tim at Arcadia has some stock and Signal Box Rochester has Hornby Saphires in stock

Cheers for that Steve. I have had nothing but trouble with Hornby decoders the Sapphire is no better and it's just plain awful in my Class 73 comared with a Bachmann one so I steer clear of Hornby decoders except the basic one which I use as lighting and function only decoders in Bachmann 158s and 170s

Cheers for that Steve. I have had nothing but trouble with Hornby decoders the Sapphire is no better and it's just plain awful in my Class 73 comared with a Bachmann one so I steer clear of Hornby decoders except the basic one which I use as lighting and function only decoders in Bachmann 158s and 170s

I have used a dozen or so Sapphires in various locos & units that require 21 pin decoders and never had any problems, I have used the 'shuttle' facility which the decoders has and found that to be fscinatingly brilliant in the way that it can make a train shuttle up and down an end to end section for long periods without any attention at all!

It has to be remembered that Hornby decoders are made for them by a well established decoder manufacturer I believe ESU ( Electronic Solutuons Ulm , Germany) who have a very good reputation in the field of electronics

I found that the Lenz Silver decoders worked extremely well in the Bachmann CEPs and EPBs. Assuming the same mechanism is used in the Desiros (is it, somebody, please?) then Lenz may be worth the investment. They are dearer than the Bachmann decoders but offer a lot more as well.

An almost exact equivalent to the Bachmann decoder is the Lokpilot basic, as I understand it the 21 pin 36-554 was essentially a rebranded version of that same item.

A search on "the main competitor to the RMweb marketplace" for "lokpilot basic 21" shows some up for sale..

As SRman says the Lenz silver does offer a lot more configuration options.

I settled on the Lenz after I wasn't entirely happy with the running qualities with the Bachmann/ESU Basic decoder. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the latter, they work quite nicely in some of my other locomotives, including several Heljan diesels. The Lenz decoders, however, seem to be particularly well suited to the Bachmann EMUs.

Edited by SRman

I think it can also boil down to very much what you are used to really. I havent experienced any trouble at all with the Bachmann ones and I prefer to stick to them as a kind of "standard" (gawd I sound like British Rail now!). All but two of my locos are fitted with either the 553 8-pin or 554 21-pin decoders. I have sourced one at Kernow models so that'll do for my desiro when it's allowed out of the box on Christmas day!

Thanks for the info on the others though

When you say switching the lighting, do you mean cab lights on/off or front lights to day/night mode?